Alaska, the Land of Massive Headlight Glare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for being allowed to use some bright lights in the middle of no where, but switch them off when you're behind some one or facing some one in the oncoming lane.

Here's why enforcement, when it even occurs, is typically a fast-receding fad:

Quote:
State troopers couldn't say how many accidents -- if any -- have been linked to glare from HID or LED lights.

Preliminary data from a 2013 state database shows 74 crashes associated with glare out of more than 12,000 statewide, according to Clint Farr, crash data manager for the Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities.

Of those, 24 were associated with the sun and two with bright headlights, which could have been regular high beams, Farr wrote in an email. Reports on the other 48 crashes didn't indicate the source of the glare, he said.

Farr said he has yet to come across a report that singles out HID or LED lights as a crash cause

It isn't as bad as the ADN article makes it out to be, at least not here in Anchorage. Sure there are lots of 4x4 vehicles with offroad lights, but very few act like jerks and use them on the highway.

About the only thing I can agree with them on is that there are a lot more offroad lights mounted on vehicles up here these days. As far as I can tell though, mostly they seem to be mounted solely for looks.

I have seen these LED light bars here in Ohio. Completely blinding. I can't imagine cops not ticketing, but who knows, the cops might be too busy hiding trying to give you a speeding ticket.

In my 3rd world rathole if you mount any other lights, additional lights aftermarket xenon lights, LEDs or bulbs (halogen bulbs with more watts, or other temperature than 2700-4000 K range), they take away your registration and you get a hefty fine.

If you want your registration back you have to pull the non compliant item out and go to a state inspector that will inspect your vehicle and if he finds your car to be compliant with the original manufacturer specs, then he gives you a piece of paper that in turn you have to give the police officer to recover your registration.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
I have seen these LED light bars here in Ohio. Completely blinding. I can't imagine cops not ticketing, but who knows, the cops might be too busy hiding trying to give you a speeding ticket.

They are nice for when you are on a trail after dark.

However, I am going to say 99.999999999% of the vehicles out there with those lightbars never leave the pavement.

I have really been thinking about getting one for my Cherokee because of all of the night wheeling we have been doing. It ads a whole extra element being in the woods outside at night.

Its less about the lights, the aim, the installation, etc. than it is about being a decent human being and putting the needs of other people ahead of your own selfishness. There's no reason to leave all the auxiliary lighting blasting away when a car is approaching, or when you approach from behind.

FTR- I have zero aftermarket lighting on any of my vehicles, and I don't even use my factory foglamps when there's other traffic around. However, I don't think it should necessarily be banned or forbidden, just used properly. If I lived in deep West Texas where you can drive for hours without passing another car, I might well have auxiliary lighting to avoid the deer and javalina. Or worst of all- feral hogs. :-/

Just a reminder that in AK, moose collisions aren't like hitting a dairy cow. You have 700lb+ 5-6 feet on the tops of stilts. Hit one of those babies and it ends up in your lap.

Those lights are obnoxious, agreed.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Just a reminder that in AK, moose collisions aren't like hitting a dairy cow. You have 700lb+ 5-6 feet on the tops of stilts. Hit one of those babies and it ends up in your lap.

Those lights are obnoxious, agreed.

Unlike deer moose are mostly dark coloured and their eyes don't reflect headlights to any significant degree.

I was at one collision between a Dodge Ram and a moose where one of the moose's antlers had cut through the roof of the cab from the top of the windshield to the dome light (which was in line with the headrests) and broken off. It was sticking down into the cab about a foot. The driver and passenger were lucky it went down the middle of the roof, it could easily have split one of their heads in half.

That said, lights aren't the only solution to avoiding moose, especially in winter slowing down is the best option.

I'm imagining something like this

2c39dfc34d1407cac1a46cc83cedd984.jpg

Women of Alaska are tough.
grin2.gif

Melson was driving west on the Palmer-Wasilla Highway when she noticed a big pickup behind her with the multibulb illuminated bar mounted between the hood and engine compartment.

"I glanced in my rearview mirrors and was immediately blinded by lights, which seemed brighter than looking into the sun," she said. "I had never seen that before. I couldn't believe it was legal."

"It's a good thing I didn't have a baseball bat in my car or I would have gotten out at a light and taken care of the problem," she said.

I am a bit surprised that I have not seen any newspaper articles about road rage induced by misaimed, blinding headlights and hybridized, blinding headlights. Drivers have gotten into brawls over less annoying issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Women of Alaska are tough.
grin2.gif

Melson was driving west on the Palmer-Wasilla Highway when she noticed a big pickup behind her with the multibulb illuminated bar mounted between the hood and engine compartment.

"I glanced in my rearview mirrors and was immediately blinded by lights, which seemed brighter than looking into the sun," she said. "I had never seen that before. I couldn't believe it was legal."

"It's a good thing I didn't have a baseball bat in my car or I would have gotten out at a light and taken care of the problem," she said.

I am a bit surprised that I have not seen any newspaper articles about road rage induced by misaimed, blinding headlights and hybridized, blinding headlights. Drivers have gotten into brawls over less annoying issues.

Haha

Interesting article. Thanks!

We have an approx 10 inch LED bar on the fire engine I'm assigned to. It is designed for forward lighting, not as a warning light and is EXTREMELY bright. Not sure how it compares to the offroad units available, but this thing is ridiculous and 100% incompatible with driving on-road in ANY type of traffic.

Yep just had some Tool in a bro-truck with 2 18" or 24" bars on his bumper.. which since it was a bro truck was just under my roofline directly in line with my rearview mirror.
it was two of the narrow reflector 15degree scatter type x100 leds per light

Glad I dont carry a gun. it was so blinding I couldnt see.. literally I was in physical pain.

I have had lasik surgery and my eyes are sensitive.. always have been.. worse now.

Hes just "Tooling" along in traffic like its normal. Between that and his 12" stack in the bed looking like a coal burning locomotive.. I really wish someone would kick his teeth in... twice.

After the light turned green I still couldn't see so he went around me. I turned into a nearby parking lot as I had so many flashes on my eye I had to stare at a point not directly ahead so I could see.

This was on a normal cloudy night.. no rain.. nothing. He also had his Headlights, Highbeams, and fog lights on.. which I thought couldnt be done without rewiring.

If thats the norm in alaska.. ugh. Too bad cant have a flat chrome rearend like the back of some semi trailers.. I cant imagine how blinding that would be rolling upto one with all those lights on your truck.

That is nuts. Maybe he is "marking his territory". I'm surprised he didn't also blast you with his locomotive air horn.

Too bad you did not have a 18" LED bar in your rear window, you could have given him a taste of his own medicine.

Is there a window film that can be applied to the rear that becomes reflective when 12V is run through it? That would be useful.

Last edited:
Yea it appeared to be the type with the loud horns too but I couldnt see into the bed.
I hear you on the rear facing led.. but then I'd probably just get shot when he takes his rifle off the redneck rack on the back window and shoots me.

Driving around in traffic here in Idaho with your insanely bright off road lights ablaze can get you killed. Idaho is one of those states that allow concealed carry without registration or training.

I do a lot of driving in the mountains. Sometimes taking the jeep off road on a friend's land.

The two round offroad lights that sit on my front bumper has been all I ever needed. It makes it really nice driving at night because there are no lighted roads in the mountains and I like to see the deer as soon as possible.

I feel like LED lightbars, although very bright, don't have depth to them. I don't know if that sounds right or not.

I came across a bro truck with his light bar on, luckily I have 5% tint on the sun visor strip, so it was not as unbearable as it normally is, but I still had to slow down as I could not see the road in front of me.

It's a shame people buy these things for looks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Yep just had some Tool in a bro-truck with 2 18" or 24" bars on his bumper.. which since it was a bro truck was just under my roofline directly in line with my rearview mirror.
it was two of the narrow reflector 15degree scatter type x100 leds per light

Glad I dont carry a gun. it was so blinding I couldnt see.. literally I was in physical pain.

I have had lasik surgery and my eyes are sensitive.. always have been.. worse now.

Hes just "Tooling" along in traffic like its normal. Between that and his 12" stack in the bed looking like a coal burning locomotive.. I really wish someone would kick his teeth in... twice.

After the light turned green I still couldn't see so he went around me. I turned into a nearby parking lot as I had so many flashes on my eye I had to stare at a point not directly ahead so I could see.

This was on a normal cloudy night.. no rain.. nothing. He also had his Headlights, Highbeams, and fog lights on.. which I thought couldnt be done without rewiring.

If thats the norm in alaska.. ugh. Too bad cant have a flat chrome rearend like the back of some semi trailers.. I cant imagine how blinding that would be rolling upto one with all those lights on your truck.

HA! bro-truck! Love it! those dang things are EVERYWHERE here, but by and large, the bros that drive them are students @ the local Auto-Diesel College.
seen several with the giant center mounted lightbar, glaring away, b/c the factory lights are hazed/yellowed/pitted far beyond usefulness. sometimes with led's or pooptastic hid's dropped in.

though my favorite was last spring, that last hour before Dawn, nice twisty/rolly country road, some bunghole in a Ranger didn't even have the Headlights on, just the parking/Running lights, and the 12" LED bar mounted to the top of the bumper came around a bend with the light right in my direct eye line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back