Can we now agree that Fram is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the Ultra is an excellent filter and often priced less than a Bosch Distance + or other competitive long life filter. I like these and they are very nicely made.

As far as the other Fram models (EG and TG) - I won't use them. There are just better filters out there at the same or lower price point. I will go Wix, STP XL, Bosch Premium etc before an orange can or Tough Gard.

Still like my Delco filters, but I have been using much more fram over the last few years.

Used them all, including the Ultra, with no issues at all...

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I stick with MANN then Mahle for the sled.

same thing as a purolator

You may get resistance from a number of users on that statement, but I will say this - Best or not, Fram delivers reliable and high-quality filters for the price. I can't think of a good reason not to use them. In fact, I currently have a Fram Ultra 3614 on my Fusion and will be running it out to at least 10,000 miles.

.. but I typically run Motorcraft filters on my Ford vehicles. IMHO, best bang for my buck on these cars.

A PH3600 is going on my trusty SL2 next with some Mobil 1. I think I paid $1.59 for it at Home Depot.

No. I never had a problem with Fram filters even when they were the most maligned filter here. Anything Wix used to be the sexiest thing around. How many people have answered a post with just a single word - Wix. A lot of you.

This is just how products trend on internet forums. I've seen it with multiple products on multiple forums. Someone posts oh these things suck. I hate these. Then 15 other people chime in with yea those are junk, +1 man! But in reality they have no clue what they're commenting on, and probably zero experience. But if 16 know nothings post a positive review then it must be gospel, and everyone needs to get on board. Yea fiber end caps are bad, I use Wix. The rumors and myths get compounded, someone builds a spreadsheet about a tear in the filter AFTER sawing it open, wavy pleats, glue, metal end caps, louvers, 'the ADBV seemed pliable...'

And now we're back to Fram. Until someone buys one with a sketchy paint job and the counterfeit Fram rumors start to spread.

I'm still not spooked about Wix. Further, up here, nothing with a Fram label on it beats the price I'm getting out of Baldwins from Acklands-Grainger, which is a very sad state of affairs, to say the least.

There's only one Fram filter I will buy and that's their Ultra. To paint Fram with a broad stroke and say all their filters are the best - won't fly with me. They got one good filter at the top of their line and all the filters below that are junk.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's only one Fram filter I will buy and that's their Ultra. To paint Fram with a broad stroke and say all their filters are the best - won't fly with me. They got one good filter at the top of their line and all the filters below that are junk.

What's wrong with the Orange Can of Delight?

I ran them on my Datsun almost exclusively and never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Can we now agree that Fram is the best?

I personally couldn't care less. It's just an oil filter and it's not something that I would ever get excited over.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
I've used e-cores, I've used PureOnes, but I use Fram orange cans now and it's gonna stay that way for awhile. Has this place come full circle or is it just me?

This site is probably one of the worst for actual solid information about anything oil related. In the past there were a lot of knowledgeable posters, but most of them have moved on. Now, as far as oil or oil filters there aren't much more than a bunch of people who read a few UOAs or cut open a filter or two and declare themselves to be experts. Those "experts" then begin dispensing advice like candies from a Pez dispenser with no real data to back up their claims.

Look at the number of products that have been a BITOG darling-one or two posters claim they're the best, and lots of others leap onto the same bandwagon. After a while something else comes along and one or two people claim it's the best, and lots of others leap onto that bandwagon. Most of the supporting evidence about products is anecdotal at best (case in point the original hubbub over Fram filters).

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
TTo paint Fram with a broad stroke and say all their filters are the best - won't fly with me. They got one good filter at the top of their line and all the filters below that are junk.

So painting Fram with a "broad stroke" won't fly with you, but then you claim that all filters below a certain point are "junk"? One more example of the typical BITOG nonsense.

Thousands and thousands of people out there who use whatever filter the mechanic puts on their vehicle without question. Their cars will last as long as ours. Same with oil, air filter, plugs, etc, etc. We here just tend to be more anal about these things.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I stick with MANN then Mahle for the sled.

same thing as a purolator

No they are not the same. I use German made Mann on my Volvo, and they are superior quality. I cut a new one open, and there are pictures of it here on this forum.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
sale is going on now?

I guess you are referring to the NAPA Gold sale. If you have independent NAPA stores in your area like I do, the sales can happen when ever. My local independents had a NAPA Gold sale about two weeks ago.

I agree with the Ultra and TG. To call a TG. junk is foolish.
Actually the last TG's I purchased had better qc. than even the Ultra's.

I have a number of Frams on the workbench right now waiting to be installed. Mostly Ultras. I think there's a Tough Guard out there, also. And three Wixes. I generally like Wix filters for a number of reasons, but they're not as widely available as Fram, which is unfortunate. I do wish you could get Wix at Advance or Auto Zone.

I'd like to see them upgrade the orange can with a silicone ADBV. I don't care about the upgraded media or the wire backing, but for the $5 that it costs for the orange can, I'd like to have a silicone ADBV. For an extra dollar, I can get a Tough Guard, or a Wix or even Honda OEM filter.

At the low end OCOD I think there are better filters for the same money. These days I often buy OEM filters. They have deals on 6 in a box Subaru filters and for the time being I will use a Ford filter on my diesel. But I may go to M1 for that vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back