Which brake pads for winter? - Cold & wet stops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
The Akebono Proact pads are very similar to Toyota's new value line (TCMC) pads. The factory original ones are a much better pad if it is within your budget. I have noticed longer service life and better bite than the Akebono ones. Advics and NBK are also the two suppliers for Toyota, not Akebono.

I'm reading that the factory original pads are different than the Toyota new value line (TCMC). Any idea how to identify I am looking at factory original if I go to the dealership?
I went to my dealership last year and the parts guy was interested who was making the pads as well (2005 gen 4Runner) so he pulled the part of the shelf and we learned the part was branded Sumitomo. I think this is a Toyota brand?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Are you going to put on summer pads in a few months?

Hahaha, that's funny. I know whatever I buy will be sufficient for the summers here, and my driving style by default. I am actually surprised that the pads that it came with (previous owner had them done at the dealership) have lasted about 100,000kms. I don't drive a lot so the new pads I buy might last for 10 years at that rate, honest.

I have Bendix GG on the front of my Fit, they are GG rated, much better in all conditions than the FF Akebono pads that they replaced.

Also, the Bendix CQ pads are MUCH cheaper, give off no dust, and have very predictable stops in all conditions.

My next set of pads are going to be Bendix CQ again, already have them got them on sale on Amazon for 35$ free shipping.

I found the Akebono FF pads to be a real chore to stop with, especially for a lot of city driving.

And driving in the Winter in Montreal is really bad, and the pads worked great in all conditions and temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back