Can we now agree that Fram is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have an oil filter to cover every price point and consumer need. They don't tear. The "cardboard" (fiber) end caps are actually perfectly fine despite people's old concerns surrounding them. They just seem... fine and reliable.

I've used e-cores, I've used PureOnes, but I use Fram orange cans now and it's gonna stay that way for awhile. Has this place come full circle or is it just me?

I think it is more an issue with manufacturers changing specs to meet a certain price point. Years ago, Purolator Pure Ones were a good filter for the money. Now many would argue the Fram Ultra is. Filter specs are constantly changing, especially for the store brand filters. Take SuperTech filters for instance. They used to be e-core junk, and now they are made by Wix. Fairly solid filters for under 3 bucks.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Has this place come full circle or is it just me?

As Bill Clinton inquired during testimony some years ago, depends on the meaning of "is" is.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I swore off Fram many years ago. And I am back to using them again. I have come full circle. LOL

+1!

The Ultras got me out of a M1 routine.

And Motorking posting here...

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Lets start by telling all that I work for FRAM. We can and do use less pleats in our filters because we buy the very best filter media available. By blending synthetic glass fibers with cellulose, you get higher efficiency and capacity with less pleats. Whenever you see a filter with alot of pleats, you can bet it is just plain old cellulose media. Around 80-85% efficiency compared to 96% for EG and 99% for TG and Ultra.

Jay M Buckley
FRAM
(248) 808-4551
[email protected]

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I swore off Fram many years ago. And I am back to using them again. I have come full circle. LOL

I switched from Fram to Purolator as a result of this site. That in hindsight was a mistake. But I switched back and won't go
back to Purolator, I'm done with them. I always had Mobil 1 filters on hand as well, and that won't change.

No, not when I can buy NAPA Gold for $3.60 each during the sale, and I just recently stocked up.

Fram has paid attention to the concerns and got back on top of things.. I dont know if any oil filter maker was prepared for people to start cutting open cans and posting pictures for the masses to see their 'dirty little secrets'.

I am going to say WIX/NAPA is the best due to their almost total coverage of anything and everything that burns fuel. From Kenworths to Riding Mowers, motorcycles, atvs, snowmobiles, boats..etc. They really do have a filter for just about everything...and from the pictures ive seen their quality is always steady and solid.

I myself am a frugal oil changer. I get my stash when autozone screws up or blows out oil near the end of the year and I usually use ProSelect filters..occasionally a SuperTech if I am Walmarting. Both are Wix stepchildren and im fine with that at 5000 mile oil changes.

Fram is awesome, but I also love Wix filters. Both get the job done very well without any fuss.

I will say Fram has improved a lot in about 10 years but are they the best? Honestly, the only fram filter i would use is the ultra which is not built like the rest of their line not to say the rest of their line is bad but they are not the best in my opinion there are better filters out there..

People talking about lots of problems with wix filters. Been several threads with bad gaskets/valves. Someone mentioned starting a spreadsheet. Will stick with Fram TG and Ultra.

Fram makes some great filters, especially the Ultra but you rarely if ever see issues on the many other Fram and Champ filters.

I think it has really upset the Purolator loving trolls on this site. Especially those who used to harass Motorking to where he barely posts on here anymore. Those trolls are mostly silent now since all the issues came to light and they couldn't deny the problems any more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back