Talk to me about a...umm...errr...Glock 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all have our favorite firearm or firearm brand and I will be the first to admit I have never liked Glocks. I owned a Gen 1 Glock 26 back in the 90s and never really liked it because it was too small for my hand and because it was "twangy" and transferred a lot of vibration from the pistol to the palm of my hand. I was at the range today and was perusing all of the pistols they have and walked over to the Glock section. With an open mind, I said to myself--"What the heck? Give one a try."

I picked up a Glock 17, 19, 22, 23, and a 43. I was impressed with the 19 to the point that I rented one that was brand new out of the box (I was the first person to shoot it). I placed 5 shots in a 2" circle at 7 yards and now am rethinking my stance on Glock pistols. The "outline" rear sight makes it easier for me to tell if I am holding the front sight centered versus a traditional 3 dot sight. I do not wear bifocals (just standard reading glasses when I need to read) so the rear sight can be fuzzy at times, but the outlined rear sight helped tremendously.

For conversation purposes:

- What do you like best about a Glock 19 versus other brands in the same size?
- One of the range staff mentioned there are aftermarket triggers to improve the feel and function. Any one do this?
- Tritium night sights. Any favorite brands?
- Concealed carry. It seems to be a bit smaller than my Walther P99. What are your ECD experiences?
- IWB holsters. Any favorites?

TIA for your thoughts.

Well...if you go back and read the response to your H&K question, you'll see all the Glock aficionado and fan boy responses. That said, I bought three G-19s to give to my kids. That's three. I'm voting with my $$. I put 250 rounds through one just last night.

A Glock is reasonable in price, reliable, and simple to shoot. The G-19 has good capacity. It's not small, but it's reasonably compact. I've not added tritium sights to any (because my H&K came standard with tritium).

If you're looking for a do it all pistol - it's a great choice.

Last edited:
I have a Glock 22 RTF2 which I think is the same frame as a 19 just in .40 S&W. I absolutely love it. It has had thousands of rounds through it with no failures and minimal cleaning.

The G23 is the same size as the G19. Compact. I own both.

A G22 is the same size as the G17. Full size. I own a G17.

People seem to think I hate Glock, and I really don't...

Glock 19 is typically regarded as their best pistol. I was torn between the Glock 19 and S&W M&P 9 and went with the Smith. A lot of of people are very passionate about the Glock 19. You must be a large guy because the Glock 19 is not a small pistol. Too large for me to conceal.

I have a G19 as well. First pistol that I ever bought 5 years ago. Has about 2000 rounds through it, clean it after each range visit. No hiccups at all. I have kept it stock and added a Streamlight LED light to the front rail. It is perfect for HD for me. I am a small frame guy so CCW with it is out of the question. I personally love the pistol (I grew up in a military household, learned to shoot on 1911's only).

I just sold my G26 last week, it was a great pistol however it was just too small for me and as a result I couldnt grip it well enough to shoot the side of a barn with it. The minimal size difference in the slides did not justify it over the G19.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
You must be a large guy because the Glock 19 is not a small pistol. Too large for me to conceal.
I am 6'-0" and 235 and though I have not tried to conceal it, the dimensions are very close to my Walter P99 (7.1L x 1.3W x 5.3H) versus the Glock 19 (7.3L x 1.2W x 5.0H). Not being a fan of Glock in the past, I had no idea the 19 was considered the "flagship".

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I just sold my G26 last week, it was a great pistol however it was just too small for me and as a result I couldnt grip it well enough to shoot the side of a barn with it. The minimal size difference in the slides did not justify it over the G19.
Your experience mirrors mine with regards to the G26 and was one of the main reasons I stayed away from Glocks. But I freely admit my thinking is changing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Well...if you go back and read the response to your H&K question, you'll see all the Glock aficionado and fan boy responses. That said, I bought three G-19s to give to my kids. That's three. I'm voting with my $$. I put 250 rounds through one just last night. A Glock is reasonable in price, reliable, and simple to shoot. The G-19 has good capacity. It's not small, but it's reasonably compact. I've not added tritium sights to any (because my H&K came standard with tritium). If you're looking for a do it all pistol - it's a great choice.
I will go back and read those. I need to see what sights are available. I also thought (some?) Glocks were available with stainless or nickel slides?

I'm fairly new to firearms, so I can't compare to many other handguns, but I chose my G19 as my second gun (after a starter 22lr pistol). It's be totally flawless for me. I had carried it for a little while IWB, but it ended up being a little big for me in the 3-4 o'clock position, and pretty impossible appendix. It's the HD gun with a light for now and I picked up a 43 to conceal. However, I can't shoot the 43 NEARLY as well. I know I need practice, but the grip size and length of pull makes me tweak it a little.

I put Tru Glo TFO sights on them, they are the fiber optic/tritium combo, but the fiber in the front has come loose and I found that I almost never need the fiber. The Tru-Glo as a tritium only option would be fine though. They installed easily and hold well. Also, next time, I'd personally just get the front tritium sight and black out the rear or leave it stock.

I'm of the opinion that simpler is better, no need for a manual safety or a hammer to snag. The simplicity of a Glock is appealing to me.

If you were to take a poll on the best all around handgun (to include brand) I Imagine it would probably be the 19. (not saying it is the best). The 1911 Colt might also be rated very high and it is clearly not the best.

Last edited:
Trijicon HD are one of the best choices.

Good things about the glock are the aftermarket support and magazine choices and prices. You have a 33 round option as well as the 15 or 17 rounder. Plenty of base plate extensions too.

Definitely needs a dual clip holster if you ask me. My Smith is exactly the same size as the glock 19 and I use a crossbreed supertuck. I wish I had a stealth gear they're supposed to be much cooler with the synthetic material.

One of the best triggers is the Travis haley

http://glocktriggers.com/products/haley/

I rented a Glock when they first came to the U.S. market in about 1985 and I liked them, I get to shoot other peoples Glocks on occasion and I can't say anything bad about them. No I do not own a Glock and maybe I should. We can learn to shoot any fire arm with enough familiarization. If we have a choice and all is equal buy what feels the best in the hand.I am really not a fan of any fire arm brand.

If you enjoy alternatives to three dot sights or stacked sights, please do yourself a favor and check out the Steyr M series of pistols. In my opinion that have some of the fastest to acquire combat sights on the market. They are equivalent in size to the G19 and point and shoot very sweet.

I cannot say much bad about the G19, it is a proven weapon.

You simply cannot go wrong with a Glock. You pick the size and caliber. I've got a total of 6 of them, (9 MM--- 17, 19, 26). And (.45--- 21-C, 21, 30). As far as night sights. Be careful when purchasing night sights that have the date removed. Some unscrupulous dealers will sell older night sights by claiming they're new, and wiping the date off with Acetone.

The radioactive Tritium compound used in night sights has a half life of about 12 years. That means in 12 years the sights will only be half as bright. All new night sights are dated when they leave the factory because of this. If the date has been removed you know they're not new. This is always good to know when purchasing a used handgun with night sights. New night sights can cost upward of $100.00 installed. Something to keep in mind on a used handgun when negotiating the price. My Glock 30 and my non compensated 21 both have them. I bought all of my Glocks new.

I've got a Glock 19. Never any failures or jams. I really like it. It fits my hands well and has a nice feeling factory trigger.

When my mom divorced my step-dad and became single, I bought her a Glock 19. When my girlfriend (married and now my wife) moved 200 miles away for a job promotion, I bought her a Glock 19. When I worked in law enforcement and had to buy my own gun, I bought a Glock 19.

It's a legendary gun with a LOT of believers for a reason. My collection will NEVER be without a Glock 19.

I conceal carry every day I leave the house. I carry a Glock 19 Glock 26, Glock 43, Glock 42, Smith & Wesson 340, or Ruger LCP. I can conceal a G19, but not comfortably. Basically, if society collapses, I'll conceal carry a Glock 19. Until then, I'll carry a smaller gun.

What I really like about the Glock is that they just work. Yes parts do break or need replacing on occasion, but they only have about 25 parts total. You can completely dissemble and fix it yourself in under 5 minutes by watching a quick YouTube video. No need for an armorer, no need to ship it back to the mother ship. Just diagnose the problem, order the readily available and easy to find part, and fix it yourself.

As for aftermarket this, gadget that, first decide what you want the gun for. If it is for defense, then leave the darn thing alone. If you are dedicating it to the target range, then swap triggers, swap guide rides, go to town. A stock Glock is 100% fine as is, out of the box, for defensive use. Swap the sights if you prefer, but no need to change anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back