Wiper blade refills Trico Exact fit vs. Toyota OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to get some refills for my Tacoma I can get 2 Trico exact fit #21 1 complete metal blade with rubber for $5 bills on ebay or get 1 Toyota OEM rubber refill $7.33 free ship ebay. I have always used Toyota oem refills in the past but I have been having problems lately with the blade and metal rods pulling out of the blade end all the time, the old Toyota refills used to come with a metal clip to put on the end to keep this from happening now you just get the rubber that's it. any input on the Tricos would be helpful

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
SuperTech wipers at Walmart are cheaper, and they work great.
I seen them!, what type did you use prior to the Walmart ones?

+1 Put a pair on my car last week. Had some crazy rain last week and it rained this morning. They work good.

I had a pair of $2.50 wipers from Parts Authority for over a year on my car in Phoenix heat. They still wiped ok, decided to try the SuperTech ones.

Originally Posted By: jrvn
I seen them!, what type did you use prior to the Walmart ones?

On one car SuperTech, on another car, OE. On a third car (GF's car) whatever from an auto parts store. Made good use of the SuperTech ones in the rain here today too.

One thing to note is the ExactFit Refills only fit the Exactfit frames and aren't compatible with the OEM toyota frames (square vs trapezodial). You cannot just get exactfit refills, you're going to need to get a full ExactFit frame first before you can refill it.

I would suggest that if you were happy with the OEM (when it were working), just get a whole replacement OEM frame which will include new metal strips.

I would suggest that in my opinion ExactFit is not as good as OEM.

Last edited:
I have always found OEM blades to be the best. I have just started putting a new set of OEM blades on my silverado every year. I think overall it's money well spent. I use undiluted washer fluid to clean the blades periodically.

I got the Toyota OEM rubber refill , I also found out that if I crimp the hooks on the frame where the blade slide in the metal strips do not slide out of the frame which was a pain in the a**

I used to buy Pylon "narrow" inserts a long time ago as replacements for my Honda. They were quite decent. They were sold in a single length and cut to fit. Each pair came with two little stainless steel clips that slid into the end of the rubber insert to keep the metal strips from sliding out. I've been reusing those little clips for years. My current favorite inserts are obtained on eBay from Malaysia and are silicone. I've had them on my car for about a year and they're still working well.

I tried to find a pic online of those little clips but have had no luck. Then, I realized I could just take my own. Duh! The clip is very tiny. The "teeth" are what grip the center of the channel in the insert that holds the metal strips.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I used to buy Pylon "narrow" inserts a long time ago as replacements for my Honda. They were quite decent. They were sold in a single length and cut to fit. Each pair came with two little stainless steel clips that slid into the end of the rubber insert to keep the metal strips from sliding out. I've been reusing those little clips for years. My current favorite inserts are obtained on eBay from Malaysia and are silicone. I've had them on my car for about a year and they're still working well.

I tried to find a pic online of those little clips but have had no luck. Then, I realized I could just take my own. Duh! The clip is very tiny. The "teeth" are what grip the center of the channel in the insert that holds the metal strips.

I'm interested in this silicone insert you mentioned for Honda. Can you provide a link to an example? Thanks!

yes that's the clip im lacking Toyota used to supply them with inserts but now they don't they are going to buy the complete beam style at twice the cost of inserts I still can find rubber inserts online from ebay but are harder to find anymore most all Toyota parts dept. doesn't have rubber inserts anymore, I have those silicone cut to fit refills on my truck now mine were from Thailand

Originally Posted By: wing0

I'm interested in this silicone insert you mentioned for Honda. Can you provide a link to an example? Thanks!
silicone inserts

Not a fan of Trico's at all. I put a set on the VW one time and the Equinox we had at the time. They lasted 6 months on the VW and 8 on the Equinox. Put a set of OEM on the VW (which I assume are Bosch) in July 2014 and they are still serviceable. Been through several rain and snow storms. There's a set of Bosch on the S10 and Expedition both, they're a little pricey buy worth it. Coworker put a set of Trico's on the work van and after a couple months they're useless. A set of OEM Ford and no problems either.

interesting observation, I received the OEM Toyota rubber refill passenger (top) picture from an EBAY Toyota dealer and the color is Gray/Silver the other (bottom) insert is the driver side also Toyota OEM is Jet black? Before purchasing these I used Cut to Fit refills that come from Thailand they too were Gray/Silver color? I contacted the seller there who agreed that they weren't black but showed black colored one on their site, so agreed they gave me some money back no biggie, so it seems to me either this refill is not genuine OEM Toyota as stated or Toyota outsourced these refills to another manufacturer, also I know Toyota outsources some oil filters to Thailand, if I knew they were coming from the same manufacturer I would still buy the cut to fit and saved some money, no biggie live and learn.

Last edited:
I have found that if there is a silvery appearance to the rubber that it's a graphite coating. Rub your fingers or a paper towel across it and see if you pick up some pencil-like color. This is actually a good thing. While the coating lasts you'll get very smooth wiping action. I used to like the PIAA "Super Graphite" inserts a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back