Motor oil in trans case (NP231)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
is there any valid reason why I shouldn't fill some 15W40 dino oil in my NP231?
Those t-cases are super simple whith a chain and some gears. I read they basically just need ANY lubrication.
What about some Type F fluid? Those two are what I have on hand and I need to fill it tomorrow. Shops over here just have some super expensive stuff in there shelves and I want to avoid having to wait for an online order.
Thanks and best regards.

Why not just the Dex/Merc that it specs? Can be bought cheap at any parts store gas station etc?

I missed that you were in Germany. If you can't get Dex/Merc I'd use the Type F before I used engine oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Why not just the Dex/Merc that it specs? Can be bought cheap at any parts store gas station etc?

I missed that you were in Germany. If you can't get Dex/Merc I'd use the Type F before I used engine oil.

+1 I think Type F would be a good choice. I know Castrol still makes a Type F state side. They always made high quality ATFs that I would believe are accessible in Germany

They need something *light* for lubrication. Any automatic transmission fluid will work in a NP231. Though, something like 5w-20 or 5w-30 would work. I wouldn't want to go all the way up to a 15w-40, there is a bit of a slinger pump in there that may not sling the heavier oil properly.

For the NP231, NP242 and NP249 I think the ATF spec isn't the best.

Sure, it's great for lubricating the chain and adequate for the planetary gears. But it isn't sufficient (IMO) for the input and output shaft bearings. They are roller and ball bearing.

So, if the idea is to use an oil that provides the longest use without maintenance or repair, I use synthetic 5w-20. I did a non-scientific test submerging a 242 rear output shaft bearing in ATF+4 and 5w-20 and the bearing has audible metal to metal contact with ATF+4. It's silent with 5w-20.

After changing the rear output shaft bearing twice in 20K miles, I was led to try something different.

I've seen 231s go well over 200k miles on the recommended Dexron. Being able to hear the bearing in a thin fluid does NOT mean that any extra wear whatsoever is taking place, it just means the sound is being damped.

If you're going to monkey with a slightly thicker fluid, I'd keep it 30 weight or below. Remember, Jeep switched to recommending synthetic 10w40 as a replacement for 75w90 gear oil in the AX-15 manual transmission (because GL-3 is hard to source now). The transfer case just really isn't meant to have to deal with such a thick oil as a 90 (gear) or 40 (engine), which are about the same actual viscosity.

And never use engine oil as a substitute for a gear oil where hypoid gears are involved, which is not a problem in most transfer cases.

The 231 doesn't sling, it has an anemic oil pump, and that is the reason for ATF. They do just fine with atf, and the 231 is on of the most abused.

15W40 is great if you want to kill your 231.

Some of the posts I read here are amazing. A transfer case is just a transmission. Every HD 3/4 and 1 ton Diesel truck you can buy runs ATF in it's transmission and they last just fine. IMO, transfercases are easier on it's fluid. There is no clutch material or excessive heat.

The old timers here know how much I absolutely abuse my Wrangler (full cage, no doors, no front fenders, no windshield) and the NP231HD (beefed up Dodge 1/2 ton version) has survived over a decade of off road beatings from here to the west coast, all while running Mobil 1 ATF.

How many 200-300K mile Cherokees are out roaming the streets? Their poor T-cases probably still have the factory fill!

Run the recommended Dex/Merc and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
If you can't ger D3 in Germany...what about Dexron VI?

I don't recommend Dex VI in a NP231. GM does not recommend it (in transfercases) either.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
For the NP231, NP242 and NP249 I think the ATF spec isn't the best.
Sure, it's great for lubricating the chain and adequate for the planetary gears. But it isn't sufficient (IMO) for the input and output shaft bearings. They are roller and ball bearing.
So, if the idea is to use an oil that provides the longest use without maintenance or repair, I use synthetic 5w-20. I did a non-scientific test submerging a 242 rear output shaft bearing in ATF+4 and 5w-20 and the bearing has audible metal to metal contact with ATF+4. It's silent with 5w-20.
After changing the rear output shaft bearing twice in 20K miles, I was led to try something different.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Concur with you that roller bearings and ,if I may add gears, require higher MOFT in 5W20 for components wear protection.
Heck I would suggest OP's 15W40 offers even higher MOFT than 5W20, thus is doable for him in this Xcase application.

MOFT thicker/higher than 'basic' film thickness offers stronger wear life protection, but whether that's necessary would be another thread for debate as to its merits when issues of FE is enthusiastically promoted.
In oil viscosity grade selection, I'm biased towards your concept of "if the idea is to use an oil that provides the longest use without maintenance or repair" which , I believe, led our forefathers into developing Lubrication as an industry as we see it today .
With the multiple trillions of resources being incurred in the industry,I believe, it's unfortunate that viscosity-related components failures is still rampant, which could be 'eliminated' or reduced to insignificance by maintaninig adequate 'margin of safety' in MOFT.

I consider your non-scientific test as offering another qualitative evidence on high MOFT vs low MOFT.
Btw,DemoFly we are but minority here.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
The 231 doesn't sling, it has an anemic oil pump, and that is the reason for ATF. They do just fine with atf, and the 231 is on of the most abused.

Okay they do have an actual pump. I know they won't pump gear oil.

I always use ATF+4 in my 192,000 mile 242. No extra noise, and shift on the fly works great.

That said, here is an excerpt from a site talking about them

"The standard 231 weighs about 70 lbs. HD 231's can weigh up to 80 lbs. Fluid capacity of the 231 is from 1.5 up to 2 quarts. ATF is the factory recommended fluid, however many individuals have chosen to run a straight 30 weight oil or 5W30 in a mineral or synthetic. Our experiences with these and those reported to us by our customers indicate positive results in noise reduction and wear resistance."
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np231

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I always use ATF+4 in my 192,000 mile 242. No extra noise, and shift on the fly works great.

That said, here is an excerpt from a site talking about them

"The standard 231 weighs about 70 lbs. HD 231's can weigh up to 80 lbs. Fluid capacity of the 231 is from 1.5 up to 2 quarts. ATF is the factory recommended fluid, however many individuals have chosen to run a straight 30 weight oil or 5W30 in a mineral or synthetic. Our experiences with these and those reported to us by our customers indicate positive results in noise reduction and wear resistance."
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np231

Novak has a lot of information, but some of it a bit off. They claim that the AW-4 in the cherokees is an unreliable transmission.

SAE30 and 5w-30 would work, though. As long as it's not always too cold that it can't be pumped.

at that point, what about a manual trans fluid? I know some manual trans people use motor-oil, MTF, or ATF. In the end these seem fairly interchangeable for people that don't fully abuse their equipment. I don't off road so I'm not sure my trans case really sees any abuse. Just 4x4 in bad rains and snow.

MTF is also what I was thinking of for a moment. Unfortunately my can was nearly empty.
I've chosen Type F fluid now.
Thanks for all your great replies so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back