genealogy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately (past year) I've become interested in my ancestry and have been doing alot of genealogy research. While I'm a Cajun with alot of French ancestry(Acadian exile of the 1700s) I do have ancestors who came directly from France. I also have English, Italian, Scottish, and possibly Irish (need to further research that one) blood. Do yall have any idea how I can further research my English, Scottish, and Italian ancestry? I haven't gotten far with it. What about you guys, do any of yall do genealogy research and care to share what you found?

Last edited:
I have done it for many years. Lately not so much. Back in the day the best sources were the county genealogy libraries and courthouse for land/will/probate records. More and more these sources are on-line. Ancestry.com is a great place. One of the weaknesses is that many of the family trees carry little documentation. But there are other sources on line there. In general you really should not bypass it. You can get it for say 6 months to see if its worth it.

Also DAR and Mayflower societies have information that is documented and is almost guaranteed to be correct.

You can contact individual societies outside of your range of travel. They can refer you to paid or volunteer folks.

If you do the DNA on Ancestry.com...it is on sale at 79 bucks right now. If not ..pm me and I think I can send you the offer over email. The benefit here is it will likely list relatives up to 4th cousin. It may literally be hundreds. You will have access to their family trees that they published. It is an amazing source and will get better going forward. I have done it.

Also, you need to get as far back as you can with family knowledge. One other good source..if you know the specifics of a deceased manily member who died after 1900 or so. ..go to your local state rep and they can assist you in getting the LONG FORM of both birth and death certificates.

Last edited:
Also, use the services of the Mormon Church. While I am not Mormon, I went to the local church on "Geneaology Night" with the names of my paternal grandparents and they almost instantly were back 5 generations!!!

Ancestor.com

Ancestry.com

Mormons DO have great resources in this area.

You may be able to get on ancestry.com at your local library at no cost. I am able to do so.

Also some European countries have marriage and baptismal records online going way back as well as census records. Denmark has a great deal of information and we were able to trace my wife's family back to the 1700's, but you have to know their place of origin.

You could try one of those DNA tests. In my case all my grandparents and/or great grandparents are from Europe and it's actually pretty easy to find info on the ones that came to the US in 1910 and 1930. Going any father back than that would be difficult or impossible for me (things like language barriers, poor record keeping, and world wars (scortched earth policies; and Eastern European Germans who probably moved abruptly in 1945 and left no forwarding address) make it difficult or impossible).

Do not overlook military records, in your home country and abroad.

Our experience is the male side of the family is often reasonably well documented, but the matriarchal side is very difficult as the women come from seemingly nowhere record-wise, and there are typically a lot of female deaths in childbirth. As hard as it is to trace a grandmother, it's far harder to trace a woman who marries at 17 and dies at 19.

We were able to trace the male side back to the late 1400's but there are huge holes with the female side starting in the 1800's. Myself and about 2500 other people in North America are descendent from the same man, who arrived in Quebec in 1666. My mother's side, on the other hand, the trail goes cold around the time she was born (around WW1). Basically all we have is a very common British last name for her mother.

Irish Ancestry is not terribly hard to trace as the Catholic Church kept good records and an Irish name is typically traced fairly easily to the town or county of birth. Once there, though, the commonality of names starts to fight back. 500 years ago every fifth person in England was named "John". Most other places have similar situations with first names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back