Havoline conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here use this oil? Seems to be top notch from I can gather! The penzoil platinum in my truck is causing leaks from the oil pan and oil filter! Filter is tight..truck is a high mileage 5.3

Originally Posted By: Chevy538487
Anyone here use this oil? Seems to be top notch from I can gather! The penzoil platinum in my truck is causing leaks from the oil pan and oil filter! Filter is tight..truck is a high mileage 5.3

I would check your oil filter adapter gasket if applicable and re gasket your pan.

Changing oil won't stop a leak that is major or increasing.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
havoline is good oil.

+1 - I'm using it in my Accord for it's next oil change.
But like PolarisX stated, it won't fix your leaks.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX

I would check your oil filter adapter gasket if applicable and re gasket your pan.

I know on my granddad's Chevrolet with the 4.8 the truck had never leaked a drop, put in Mobil 1 and truck started leaking. Swapped back to the QSGB he'd been using and the leak stopped. I know its not supposed to happen but it does sometimes.

Although some people on here think its ok to use a synthetic oil in a high mileage engine im not one of them i think your best bet is to go with a good high mileage engine oil... How many miles on that 5.3
I have used PHM for a long time and it worked well However i changed to Mobil super high mileage and that also is a good oil.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Although some people on here think its ok to use a synthetic oil in a high mileage engine im not one of them i think your best bet is to go with a good high mileage engine oil... How many miles on that 5.3

Somebody should have warned me before now.

My brand of choice.

I don't think it can be beat cost/benefit wise. There are lesser oils selling for more, but you can't get a better oil for less (unless it is some semi-random $1/qt sale). UOA always seem to come back better than expected.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Havoline has always been a good oil but who has it at a great price..?

Search around. Amazon has it for $11.77 for 5 quarts. Sams Club often sells it for about $2-$3 quart for a 12 pack. It is often a Oreilly, AdvanceAuto sale oil. They also add on an additional $2-10 MIR as well.

I would check your oil filter adapter gasket if applicable and re gasket

No I'm not expecting it too...and changing the gaskets this weekend.....penzoil created the leaks!! I keep a close eye my truck

Last edited:
No I'm not expecting it too...and changing the gaskets this weekend.....penzoil created the leaks!! I keep a close eye my truck

And caused lifter tap, all in the span of what - three weeks or less?

Yeah, okay.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

And caused lifter tap, all in the span of what - three weeks or less?

Yes it did, Believe what you want

Yeah, okay.

Well then what else caused it? The only other thing is the oil

One might have to ask if the engine was sealed with gunk and the Pennzoil removed it.

If Pennzoil attacked seals like that in one OCI this forum would be up in arms, marching in the digital streets.

My Impala is notorious for a failed filter adapter gasket around 125k or so.

Last edited:
One might have to ask if the engine was sealed with gunk and the Pennzoil removed it.

+1. PYB is afterall, known for its cleaning abilities.

Last edited:
Reading more about the tapping, I'd be curious if some oil passage or lifter is stuck with gunk too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back