Honda Preso on their oil future - mentions HTO-06

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/index.php?a...;attach_id=3076

It's a powerpoint preso, that I found after the mention of the "Honda Hot Tube" test in another thread.

Has some interesting points.
HTO-06, they prefer, as it doesn't "penalise" high Mo oils...the Japanese OEMs lobbied to get the TEOST range extended for the 0W20 grade only.
HTO-06 has the aforementioned hot tube test, plus a soot/sludge simulation...plus a simulated crankcase with NOx bubbled through heated oil (sounds like my commentary about varnish being formed in the crankcase, with blowby gasses).

Mentions that they are planning their fleet to use "generic" API specs, bar HTO-06 for their turbo models...bear in mid that they DO lobby API for changes in the generic specs, i.e. TEOST in 0W20.

Mentions backspeccing, and the reasons for it (fuel consumption and CO2 depending on market)

I know that HTO-06 isn't going to be applied to any of the grades I'm likely to use, but if/when I get an engine that specs ILSAC grades, it and Dexos will be on my shopping list.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Mentions that they are planning their fleet to use "generic" API specs, bar HTO-06 for their turbo models..

Yeah, that preso is from 2009. They have since backed away from that hto-06 spec. Their latest turbo engines in the US don't require it.

I'm surprised Honda isn't requiring HTO-06 for their Civic turbo, as it's only the second turbo Honda ever sold here.

Maybe they might make an HTO-02 spec for 0w20 in the 1.5T

The HTO-06 tests used oil whereas the TEOST tests new oil. Will look at this closer later.

I would imagine todays oils are better than the last [SM] requirements and DEXOS approveable raises the bar as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back