2016 5.3 ecotec oil suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Yeah they make more power nowadays, but what about torque. Torque figures are about the same- they just keep moving the powerband to higher rpms. That is what I think anyways.

Definitely not with most V8 designs. Torque is available right off idle as the cams are moved to vary timing. And certainly not with the turbocharged such as Egoboost. They make full torque right off idle!

The torque curve is flatter than ever for most engines. As an example, a 5.7 Hemi has at least 300 foot pounds from about 1200 rpm up to it's peak at around 4500 or so IIRC. The 6.4 is even better.

You have to remember the 5.3 is a much smaller displacement and IMO has always been biased towards higher RPM power, but the new VVT versions really have improved...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Yeah they make more power nowadays, but what about torque. Torque figures are about the same- they just keep moving the powerband to higher rpms. That is what I think anyways.

Definitely not with most V8 designs. Torque is available right off idle as the cams are moved to vary timing. And certainly not with the turbocharged such as Egoboost. They make full torque right off idle!

The torque curve is flatter than ever for most engines. As an example, a 5.7 Hemi has at least 300 foot pounds from about 1200 rpm up to it's peak at around 4500 or so IIRC. The 6.4 is even better.

You have to remember the 5.3 is a much smaller displacement and IMO has always been biased towards higher RPM power, but the new VVT versions really have improved...

Torque curve is also pretty flat on the 5.3 EcoTec3. This is the engine in my Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back