Frequency ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2012 VE Jetta SE 2.5 with 31,000 miles on it. I have the oil changed and filter using M! and MANN filters, by mechanic by house (excellent Mechanic). Now, it says on sticker on windshield oil should be changed 8-3-2016. But shoe has driven only Approx: 1,000 miles. Should I change oil, if not, when do I?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: jake9364
But shoe has driven only Approx: 1,000 miles. Should I change oil, if not, when do I? [email protected]

I would wait until the shoe has driven it more than 1,000 miles. And if I were you I wouldn't post my email address in the thread.

Originally Posted By: jake9364
My wife has a 2012 VE Jetta SE 2.5 with 31,000 miles on it. I have the oil changed and filter using M! and MANN filters, by mechanic by house (excellent Mechanic). Now, it says on sticker on windshield oil should be changed 8-3-2016. But shoe has driven only Approx: 1,000 miles. Should I change oil, if not, when do I?

I'm assuming you meant to type Mobil 1. don't go by the date. Mobil 1 is good oil and can be safely left in for longer than that. I would leave it in for 5000-7500 miles depending on how long that takes go get to that mileage.

What date was that Mobil 1 put into service?? Mobil 1 is one of the best readily available synthetics out there and could easily go 10,000 miles or 2 years i would not change it after just 1000 miles that would be a complete waste of money and oil. Mobil 1 is used by millions of people with great results and you can buy Mobil 1 just about everywhere.
I started using it and am liking it a lot.

For two reasons.

1. Most manufacturers recommend a time interval as well as mileage, mostly due to sludge, acid and condensation

2. Lightly used cars - and 1000 miles per year is VERY light use - have in fact some of the toughest conditions for motor oil. Typically these are not driven hard enough, long enough to get the motor out of enrichment (dumping gas into the motor); or to get hot enough to boil off acids and water that are natural by products of combustion. Consequently the oil will tend to have very hgih dilution and acidity, and generate more sludge and deterioration of surfaces.

I do UOA on my street and track cars. One would assume the race car would have more oil deterioration, dilution etc. But not so - its perfect with nearly undetectable dilution and low acidity. The street car, on the other hand, is not so lucky.

I might even want to change the oil MORE often on a car used that little. I would also make a real effort to, when it is driven, drive it long enough to have it at full warm up (above 200 deg F) for at least ten minutes.

Is it good oil capable of lasting longer? Absolutely. If that the limiting factor? Not in my opinion.

Just Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back