Best High Mileage 5w-30 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are wasting your time; Ramblejam sent a secret message. How do you compete with that ?!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Miles? I would just run a couple short OCi with aggressive oils like Castrol edge with syntec. You can just add some AC compressor oil (hydrocarbon Ester) and a couple tbsp kerosene or lamp oil to you fav oil.

This is the first time I have ever heard of adding a/c compressor oil to motor oil. Can you explain what advantage it has in the oil?
21.gif

I have used most of the HM oils out there and Maxlife red bottle semi-syn has always worked the best. It usually takes around two OCI's to help with consumption...

Don't get your hopes high. No motor oil is going to add metal back that has worn away, fix rock hard or crumbled valve seals. Just keep it topped off with the cheapest oil you can find. Make sure in addition to the PCV, to check the plumbing for the PCV valve for blockage and or leakage.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Don't get your hopes high. No motor oil is going to add metal back that has worn away, fix rock hard or crumbled valve seals. Just keep it topped off with the cheapest oil you can find. Make sure in addition to the PCV, to check the plumbing for the PCV valve for blockage and or leakage.

This statement is so true.
The oil pan gasket my cousin just recently replaced had NO RTV near it, or, on it from the factory. It probably had been leaking since day 1. When he pulled the pan, which took almost 30 minutes to break the RTV seal, the half moon oil pan gasket that goes on the rear of the pan, was hard as a brick! It actually crumbled, it was so brittle!
Repair the leak!

Originally Posted By: dx92beater
I am at Walmart now. All 3 choices in front of me and rollback on Pennzoil hm. Is Pennzoil hm Dino?

PHM is listed as a conventional (probably for line-up marketing purposes) but almost certainly is a synthetic blend in reality...

We have changed the high mileage oils from Pennzoil to Mobil Super High Mileage and so far so good The Mobil Super High Mileage is a synthetic Blend if i am correct.

Bang for the buck, I'm not sure there is a better conventional oil than Pennzoil HM.

+whatever to the PCV suggestions. I have 2 Subarus right now.

A 2003 2.5 with 160,000 and a 2002 3.0 with 108,000 which is new to me. I've put 100K on the 2.5. Like clockwork, it uses half a quart over an OCI of 5000-7000 miles. Only time it used more was when it ate 1.5 quarts in 5000, and it was a clogged PCV. New part, back to normal. If half a quart over 5000-7000 miles bothers you...I'm not sure why it would. I haven't had the 2002 3.0 long enough to have a baseline, only on my 2nd OCI on it.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Bang for the buck, I'm not sure there is a better conventional oil than Pennzoil HM.

+whatever to the PCV suggestions. I have 2 Subarus right now.

A 2003 2.5 with 160,000 and a 2002 3.0 with 108,000 which is new to me. I've put 100K on the 2.5. Like clockwork, it uses half a quart over an OCI of 5000-7000 miles. Only time it used more was when it ate 1.5 quarts in 5000, and it was a clogged PCV. New part, back to normal. If half a quart over 5000-7000 miles bothers you...I'm not sure why it would. I haven't had the 2002 3.0 long enough to have a baseline, only on my 2nd OCI on it.

A bit confused, I don't have half a quart consumption over 5k-7k miles....I wish I did.

As far as the suggestions for the PCV valve "system" as opposed to just the PCV valve, I asked around to see how I'd clear that up. I put some carb cleaner "real quick" in any hoses that I "think" might be related, but I wasn't sure if there was some catch all thing that I could do to clean the hoses up. I am having trouble understanding what hoses constitute the PCV system. I have a Factory Service Manual, but it isn't THAT friendly.

Side note, I just replaced the PCV valve with an OEM one. Will see how that goes.

How do I clean the PCV System up?

Also, I am wondering about the Oil filter. There seems to be a world of confusion as to whether or not it uses an Anti-Drainback Valve.

In this post, the poster mentions using the Pure One PL14460, but that doesn't have an ADBV.

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2171&highlight=pl14460

Then this post goes on to say that the OEM doesn't have an ADBV anyways:

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/oil-change-b9-tribeca-6167.html?t=6167

Then advance auto says the vehicle should be using a PL14459 which has an ADBV!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/purol...Term=oil+filter

Could an ADBV or lack thereof contribute to a puff of blue smoke at startup? Just asking.

Last edited:
says it doesn't have an ADBV....FYI, filter is horizontally mounted.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4026715/Re:_%5bCut_Open%5d_Subaru_15208AA0

Last edited:
i got 3 OEM Subaru filters for $7 with ebay bucks....so my question still stands:

As far as the suggestions for the PCV valve "system" as opposed to just the PCV valve, I asked around to see how I'd clear that up. I put some carb cleaner "real quick" in any hoses that I "think" might be related, but I wasn't sure if there was some catch all thing that I could do to clean the hoses up. I am having trouble understanding what hoses constitute the PCV system. I have a Factory Service Manual, but it isn't THAT friendly.

Side note, I just replaced the PCV valve with an OEM one. Will see how that goes.

How do I clean the PCV System up?

Last edited:
I am going to use Kreen in this process to clean the PCV system up so there is no guessing.

I'd like to say that consumption has died down a bit with Pennzoil HM 5w-30 (adding 1/2 quart of 10w-30 each time). I am always a pessimist though.

I *think* that I am now getting about 1500 miles per quart. I know that the dipstick relationship may not be linear, but I have gone at least 303.8 miles and the dispstick shows only 1/5 used on the front side of the dipstick. If I look at the back side of dipstick it is about 1/6 used. Previous consumption measurements were all highway and using the back side of the dispstick since it showed higher.

Thanks everyone! I'll keep doing what I am doing and never stop with Pennzoil HM. Next change after Kreen will be straight Pennzoil HM 10w-40 for sure.

One thing that I can't figure out is that the blue smoke at startup is now FAR worse than ever. What is up with that? It is like a 10 second smokeout that extends for about 50 feet!??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dx92beater

...One thing that I can't figure out is that the blue smoke at startup is now FAR worse than ever. What is up with that? It is like a 10 second smokeout that extends for about 50 feet!??

Sounds like oil leaking into the combustion chamber(s) from worn valve guides/seals. Does it do the same thing if you sit idling at a long light and then hit the gas... blue smoke when taking off?

The smoke at start up shows oil is leaking into the combustion chamber when shut down. Probably caused by worn valve stems.

Thanks but you guys are late to the thread. The smoke was always there. Although consumption seems to be drastically reduced with high mileage oil, the smoke is now FAR worse. It might be best to read my first post along with the rest of the thread.

Again, just wondering why smoke at startup would be worse now.

Last edited:
Okay, so it probably leaks worse through the stems, and not as bad past the rings with one oil vs another. Could be difference in viscosity at hot and cold temps is different. The weight on the outside of the bottle only puts an oil in a range of weights.

No oil is going to stop it, it's just going to get worse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Okay, so it probably leaks worse through the stems, and not as bad past the rings with one oil vs another. Could be difference in viscosity at hot and cold temps is different. The weight on the outside of the bottle only puts an oil in a range of weights.

No oil is going to stop it, it's just going to get worse.

This makes alot of sense. I didn't like the 2nd part about it only getting worse though....might be true, but I don't have to like it.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back