Is this normal? Wix 57356

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Just bought a Wix 57356 filter today and it looks different from the other filters I have used (NAPA Silver, NAPA Platinum), specifically the piece of rubber highlighted in the attached picture. It looks like this filter has the up-front bypass valve, I believe. Is that correct? The piece of rubber looks a bit wrinkled or maybe just not uniformly cut... Just looks weird.

I've seen the same thing on a few WIX or NAPA Gold filters with the base end bypass valve. That rubber you see is actually part of the bypass valve.

Just buy a 51356,it used to be the part number for hondas for the longest, i never had a problem with the 4 hondas i maintain using that one, it has bigger oil inlet holes if that makes a difference.

That rubber part appears to me to be intentionally that way, based on how the angles and waves are very regular.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That was the last 57356 at the store. I will check to see if they carry the 51356 and swap it. Like you say, it must be part of the design but I don't necessarily feel comfortable with that piece of rubber floating there.

There was a Napa sacrificed just recently. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4210829/Virgin_Napa_Gold_1348#Post4210829

Zooming in on the bypass valve, it looks even inside compared to yours. Seems to be anyway. I would say it's a manufacturing defect, possibly a bad one as it's the bypass seal. Until coming to learn here, I never looked inside oil filters, just put them on. Mass production for low prices, this is what happens when the automation glitches happen and on down the line it goes. Bean counters strike again. Of course we want the lowest prices so they have to compete.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I've seen the same thing on a few WIX or NAPA Gold filters with the base end bypass valve. That rubber you see is actually part of the bypass valve.

This and it's normal. Here's a post use NG 7356 also with thread end bypass. Have a couple unused 7356 in my stash that look the same.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4096225/Re:_NAPA_Gold_7356_cut,_4K_OCI

And while the now non spec'd for Honda 1356 (also using the same thread end bypass design) will screw on and likely work, you will not maintain the filter warranty, if that matters to you. Wix redesigned the baseplate geometry for better block engagement a few years ago now, and thus the Wix/NG 5/7356 is now the spec filter for Hondas.

I wouldn't use it. I have NAPA silver wix and it's not wavy. Mine looks nice and smooth. Yours could have been damaged inside. i really am losing trust in Wix since they are owned by the same outfit that ruined Purolator.

Use with confidence! Absolutely nothing wrong with that seal. Take a look at where the arrow is pointing in my pic, that's where the seal is actually made. Whatever distortion the I.D of that seal has means nothing as long as it's smooth/flat where it contacts the disk.

2aaly79.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone pried apart and looked how these bypass valves actually work? I'm sure they have. By words it appears the spring opens when DP exceeds the given value and oil flows through the holes into the center tube and out. So if the seal isn't captured well on the edge it seems oil MAY bypass even with a closed spring. Takes some pictures. I wouldn't want any filter that dangles rubber in the oil flow clean side, the main pipe, like that. Of course I doubt I will switch from the two brands I use any time soon, which isn't this brand.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I wouldn't want any filter that dangles rubber in the oil flow clean side, the main pipe, like that.

If a piece of that rubber should somehow tear and get loose, the next stop is the somewhere in the engine blocking an oil line. Unlikely that would happen but why even consider using it. Discard that filter fast and find another brand. Wix is just another Purolator to me now. Both on my avoid list.

^^^ That animation video even shows the rubber flap protruding around the edge of the bypass valve.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I wouldn't want any filter that dangles rubber in the oil flow clean side, the main pipe, like that.

If a piece of that rubber should somehow tear and get loose, the next stop is the somewhere in the engine blocking an oil line. Unlikely that would happen but why even consider using it. Discard that filter fast and find another brand. Wix is just another Purolator to me now. Both on my avoid list.

Yep, this was my main concern too. So I have swapped it with a 51356. Not too worry about warranty coverage as I've used the NAPA Silver version of the 51356 before in both my Hondas with no issues (no leaks).

That's how I thought it works. So the rubber seal has to be captured in the outer edge of the bypass unit or it leaks all the time. If the seal looks to far hanging out, maybe it isn't placed right. They do show the rubber intruding, but it isn't a real filter. It's probably fine after all, but for me I still don't like the wavy thin rubber in the oil path.

Quote:
So I have swapped it with a 51356......

Which uses the 'exact' same Wix traditional thread end bypass as the 57356, but is no longer spec'd for Honda vehicles by Wix. The traditional thread end bypass in the 51356 is just more difficult to see/examine in it's uncut state because of it's baseplate design. Also the 51356 has smaller filter element than the 57356. All things considered, including smaller element and no filter warranty, seems like a lose lose 'to me'.

Unfortunate imo the irrational fears pseudo internet engineers sow. Wix has been using this design for as long as I can remember. funflyer post has it right, use with confidence, I'll continue to. And at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back