Advance Auto Parts, 0 for 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 of the 4 things appear "cheap" to me.

I've had good luck with their rotors. I'm using them on 3 vehicles actually. As far as quality, I am assuming they'd be the same as all the other parts store brands. I am also not sure how their quality compares to brand names that are found on Rock Auto. Perhaps similar? Did you not torque your wheels to spec? That can cause warping.

I've read that their batteries were JCI made, but I saw a Deka Autocraft at a car show in Ohio last July so who knows. Either way, many folks have had great luck with both mentioned brands so perhaps you had a dud. Was your warranty up after a year? I've been using one in her Volvo since summer 2013.

With the DW filter, they appear well built, but are literally the cheapest thing possible. You could have stepped it up to a Fram Extra Guard for less than $2 more.

House brand suspension/ steering components scare me so no comment there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
it's because you're buying low-quality economy tier parts, not because it's AAP
smile.gif

+1. I'm a good enough fan of the silver grade batteries versus the more expensive ones with thinner plates. The other stuff is junk and to be expected..

Hopefully you are aware that batteries with high(er) Cold Cranking Amps specification get there by using thinner plates, but higher in number (density), and typically carry a premium price.

There is also a practical limit to how close they can be to each other and how deeply they sit (ie the height dimension). A battery with plates that are further from each other and have a higher gap between the bottom of the plate and the case may last longer, due to a greater resistance to sulfation failure. That might be the battery with fewer and smaller plates.

I find the care and feeding of batteries plays the greatest role in longevity. I typically get 6 years from a battery, and that's in an environment that sees air temperatures below -30F and sometimes (depending on where I'm working in the winter) below -40F, and I make a large number of starts with outdoor stored vehicles and no access to a block heater. In other words, severe service.

Anyone who has to deal with sub-freezing temperatures in winter knows that a vehicle that starts easily at 40F may not even turn over at 0F, but if it never experiences those colder temperatures, the owner may think the electrical system is in good shape, when it actually is in poor shape. Such a vehicle probably will also be dealing with frequent battery failure or short battery life, while the owner feels the electrical system is "in good shape" simply because his car starts in conditions that are in essence a cake-walk.

Any car running an 0W-xx oil should start at -40F after sitting unheated for 24 or more hours, but a massive number would fail that test, despite the owner thinking the starter system is "in good condition".

The battery and the driveworks suspension piece were the only items in stock at the time, and I needed the part so I bought them. SO there was no choice for my application.

Just another county reporting here:

I've chosen the better (best?) rotors and got good stuff.
The service I've gotten has been quite good.

I needed a thermostat and they only had a Standt which scraped the inside of the block. I feared that but had no choice.
The Toyota stat fit the 2003 Toyota just fine.
They immediately refunded it.

Sorry to hear about your issues.

I currently have an Autocraft Silver line group 35 battery on an Accord made 6/12 working fine. I occasionally put a low amp battery maintainer to it, and makes sure to keep cells filled with distilled. No complaints. Bought using AAP code.

I have Wearever Front Rotors on a Tacoma now for several years, no idea what level if there was one back then. Those too working just fine in combination with Thermoquiet pads installed at same time. Rotors bought using AAP online code, pads at Amazon and with rebate.

Driveworks oil filter, low end now discontinued oil filter line. Sounds like a compromised nitrile adbv, not that uncommon.

Recently purchased/installed what was listed as AAP DriveWorks originally but is now CARQUEST Cabin Air Filter, for an Accord. I was surprised at the quality and fit of the CAF. Better than the Purolator BreatheEasy it replaced. Good as Honda oem, in my observation. My .02

So for a lot of that list, you bought bottom of the barrel quality and are surprised at the results? OK.

Sometimes, one has to decide if the fact the part is in stock or doing the job the right way is more important. Not just an issue for Advance - I've had issues with parts from all the major retailers here - Napa, OReilly, Advance, Autozone. Learned through the school of hard knocks that the cheap stuff is mostly to be avoided these days...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: JustinH

I have been shopping advance for a few years due to their heavy discounts using coupon codes. Now, even with 30 percent off or $50 coupons, they are still overpriced parts. Rockauto or Amazon kill them.

Yes, but if you need it today, you need it today. Sometimes you can't wait for UPS.

Purchase online and pick up in store 30min later.

Depends on the store. I've purchased online 3 times. The first time they didn't have it. The clerk said he sold my stuff to someone else 20 minute before I got to the store and didn't have any more in stock. The clerk says to me, What do you want me to do, refuse to sell it the other customer? I said yeah, because I already paid for it.

Second time I was expecting a bag with my name on it waiting for me since I received an email saying my order was ready. Nope. The clerk ran around the store looking for the stuff I paid for hoping he could find it.

The third time I ran down because they were getting ready to close. This time the clerk was great got me on my way quickly.

AAP has sold my order before too. Yes it was a pain, but they were able to get it for me next day.

Apparently the item coming up in their inventory that they went to pull for me was the core? If it takes 30 minutes for the order to process, what would happen if someone came in buying the ONLY part you just purchased? I have no idea how their system works, but I suppose anything is possible.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Dude....Gold battery always

Sadly those are not what they used to be either. My last two group 24 Gold batteries have been leakers.

i have installed several silver brake pads with no issues, you probably didnt service the rotors at the same time. the rest is pretty much self inflicted gunshot wounds.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
it's because you're buying low-quality economy tier parts, not because it's AAP
smile.gif

exactly he purchased the budget cheapest parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back