How to stop rust on old SK ratchet set

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 50 year old 1/2" drive SK ratchet/socket set that I love and use several times a week. Sometimes use it in saltwater environment. Still works great, but thin coat of rust often develops on the tools. Thoughts on what I could put on the sockets and ratchet to prevent the rust??

When my tools get wet or exposed to wet snowy slush, I give them a good spray and wipe of WD40. No rust except what I inherited that was already rusty.

Personally, if I loved a vintage set of SK tools (I have some too), I would get a HF set for the salty stuff.

Originally Posted By: claluja
I have a 50 year old 1/2" drive SK ratchet/socket set that I love and use several times a week. Sometimes use it in saltwater environment. Still works great, but thin coat of rust often develops on the tools. Thoughts on what I could put on the sockets and ratchet to prevent the rust??

Maybe put some of those packs of silica gel in Your case to reduce the amount of moisture.

I have an SK ratchet about that old. That's back when they built them to last. I'd coat it in some light oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I have an SK ratchet about that old. That's back when they built them to last. I'd coat it in some light oil.

That was money well spent wasn't it?
grin.gif
I bought an SK set when I was 16 years old (48 years ago) to get my first car, which had to be towed home, on the road. It's been abused with pipe extensions and still works like new. I did manage to break one 14mm socket, though. No rust, here in Michigan.

Spray them down once or dip them in CRC 6-56, then wipe them down with an oily rag now and again.

Originally Posted By: stephenbrown22
Corrosion X..........will NEVER let you down.......especially the green cans of CorrosionX HD...........get it on line.......expensive but worth it.........

I have this stuff and use it on my trailer that gets dipped in saltwater, and also at some spots on truck frame. It seems a little thick for use on ratchets and sockets??

Any oil based rust preventative is just going to be wiped away by your hands every time you use it. It this ratchet is one that you use all the time, you will have to wipe it down with an oil soaked rag after every use.

If the tool is a serious user and you don't want to bother wiping it down every time, take it to your local powder coater. Have them sand blast and powder coat it in a satin or semi gloss color that you like. Doing this will ruin any sort of resale or collector value but it will be very durable and protect the tool for life. There is usually a minimum fee or amount to fire up the oven but a ratchet should cost about $10 once whatever minimum price is met.

I have had several things like antique vices, c-clamps, adjustable wrenches and modern motorcycle parts professionally powder coated and I have always been happy with it. I use the items I had powder coated almost every day and every thing is holding up nicely. The more glossy of a finish you choose, the more durable the finish will be, providing the preparation and application are done correctly. For something like a ratchet, I recommend semi gloss. Full on gloss will probably be too slippery and flat finishes show scratches and wear faster than semi gloss.

Originally Posted By: claluja
Originally Posted By: stephenbrown22
Corrosion X..........will NEVER let you down.......especially the green cans of CorrosionX HD...........get it on line.......expensive but worth it.........

I have this stuff and use it on my trailer that gets dipped in saltwater, and also at some spots on truck frame. It seems a little thick for use on ratchets and sockets??

And it has a characteristic smell that isn't the most pleasant. I think the key to any oil wipe down is just how thin you can coat it and still have something there. I think you're really looking to fill the macroscopic pores, not really coat the surface much...

I'm wondering if a silicone cloth used to wipe guns down would work? I might give that a shot at some point. I don't have a problem with any of my tools rusting, but they have been wiped down with oil and dried if I remember.

Originally Posted By: CT8
It is not rust it is patina.

Yes, which gives the tool character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back