winter storage of multiple batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be getting my folks settled in south TX this winter and trying to figure a way to keep 1 rv and 3 various car batteries alive with a pair of batteries in a 1 ton diesel van that are total pain to remove. Trying to figure how to keep the batteries in the van and hook the charger to the van to keep them all juiced up for 6 months. Van has a hot power power plug that I could use to chain the rest of the collection inside the van.

I wouldn't want to keep batteries that aren't sealed on a float charger in an enclosed space without the correct engineering precautions.

I'd buy a few smart float chargers and connect one to each distinct battery (matched batteries in parallel count as one).

I know well enough about hydrogen. Best used as rocket or fuel cell fuel. VAn would be kept inside a farm shed with windows open.

It's not just about hydrogen. Mismatch a bunch of batteries in parallel (otherwise the voltage goes up) on a single charger and some will grossly overcharge and thermally runaway (burn).

Thanks. I thought it would be to much of challenge to do it with one charger. Trying to keep it simple.

Just get a regular charger and charge each one in the vehicle after 3 months.

My mom's old Buick has been sitting in the back yard for almost 7 months, we needed to move it and after lots of cranking, realizing it was out of gas, pouring in a gallon and some more cranking, it started like a charm.

Battery was fine.

Problem one, six months plus. Problem two here in MN we get temps to -20F(why the reason for trying to stay in TX)and that can freeze the batteries and crack the cases leaking acid. Will see if I can move them to the insulated garage that rarely freezes and put a trickle charger on the van.

Oh, these batteries are going to be in Minnesota? I thought you meant Texas.

Bring them in the house, buy a $3 Rubbermaid container and set them inside of it incase one leaks.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Oh, these batteries are going to be in Minnesota? I thought you meant Texas.

Bring them in the house, buy a $3 Rubbermaid container and set them inside of it incase one leaks.

Yeah I messed up clarifying about leaving them back in the land of ten thousand taxes.

This is what I would do.

Configure a "black box" with relays suitable for switching about 16VDC, and use the 555 Timer IC to switch the relays at a reasonable interval ... I would think 1 hour each would be fine, but even 1 day would work. It's just much easier to use the 555 for shorter periods of time.

Now what is happening is your float charger ( a CTEK brand unit is perfect) will charge each battery for a reasonable amount of time, indefinitely. You avoid issues with paralleling batteries and there is no problem with the charge since even an hour a day would be enough to keep a lead-acid battery in good condition over any reasonable number of months.

If you can solder (or are willing to buy a proper crimp tool) and have the resources to order a few electronic parts, you're golden. If such a project seems daunting to you, get someone you know to do it for you. It's not a complex project for anyone familiar with electronics. There are a number of DIY-type websites you could ask questions at who will help you avoid problems and flesh out the details.

The alternative is to buy a Commercial Float Charger designed to work with a number of batteries ... what it will be is what I've described above, only charging you $600 for the privilege of owning one.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
This is what I would do.

Configure a "black box" with relays suitable for switching about 16VDC, and use the 555 Timer IC to switch the relays at a reasonable interval ... I would think 1 hour each would be fine, but even 1 day would work. It's just much easier to use the 555 for shorter periods of time.

Now what is happening is your float charger ( a CTEK brand unit is perfect) will charge each battery for a reasonable amount of time, indefinitely. You avoid issues with paralleling batteries and there is no problem with the charge since even an hour a day would be enough to keep a lead-acid battery in good condition over any reasonable number of months.

If you can solder (or are willing to buy a proper crimp tool) and have the resources to order a few electronic parts, you're golden. If such a project seems daunting to you, get someone you know to do it for you. It's not a complex project for anyone familiar with electronics. There are a number of DIY-type websites you could ask questions at who will help you avoid problems and flesh out the details.

The alternative is to buy a Commercial Float Charger designed to work with a number of batteries ... what it will be is what I've described above, only charging you $600 for the privilege of owning one.

I'd rather an arduino controlling a 3-to-8

I'd rather an arduino controlling a 3-to-8 [/quote]

I love an Ardunio as much as the next guy, but you are suggesting a computer, regardless of how cheap and how easy to program, to replace perhaps three dollars worth of parts.

The relays you need to buy regardless of which way you go. So it comes down to the 555 timer (Mouser sells them for about $1.20 each) and a few supporting parts.

Something like this would work good, or you could get a bunch of discrete waterproof 800mA chargers for potentially less total money and run them off a power strip.

Battery Tender 022-0148-DL-WH 12-Volt 4-Bank Battery Management System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIPHUI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rgr7xbYNQ1MWF

Battery Tender 022-0150-DL-WH 800 Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITKCE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5hr7xbJCAE0T8

If they can be kept out of the elements, I prefer a thermally compensated unit.

BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator System - Model# 1500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7HZ6FC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ejr7xb46B940J

Look at BatteryMinder website. You can combine multiple batteries on one charger if they are the same type and fully charged. I charge several over the winter and some stay on the charger the entire winter and others get rotated every few weeks.

Consider temp compensation for hot and cold.

You can charge them from a single source, just put a suitable rated diode in the plus line to each battery, isolating them from each other. I've done that with 2 batteries.

In an effort to avoid Mr. Murphy I've used clock type lamp timers and simple trickle chargers. Even if the mains power goes off the timer still provides the same charge time when the power returns.

Last edited:
I manage 5 batteries during the winter. I put the charger on them for a couple hours each, every 4-5 weeks. They last 5-7 years on average.

I would consider charging them all up then disconnecting them before leaving. I would argue that if there isn't enough juice in then when you get back in 6 months, that the batteries are marginal anyway. Maybe if you were more worried, throw a charger on, or maybe even a solar battery maintainer. What sunlight it gets has got to be close enough to counteract the self discharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back