Parallel LED strings on power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I'm looking to add some un-noticeable task lighting in an established space. Don't need a lot, and I want to use some of the cut-to-length LED strip lighting.

It comes with a 120v power supply, some wiring to the strip,and then the strip itself.

I'd like to drive a few sections of this strip off of the one power supply, via a terminal block. Each strip will be a different length and thus load.

Does anyone foresee an issue paralleling multiple short lengths of LED strip?

Most of those strips are a series-parallel arrangement. You can cut the strip only in certain places (which repeat every foot or so down the strip) to avoid breaking up a series group. That place should have pads to solder power wires to. Then you can connect those in parallel to the power supply. Or you can bring wires off the end of one strip, extend through an area with no lights, and power another strip from those wires, without needing to run all wires back to one point.

If you use everything from one kit, the power supply rating will be sufficient for all the LEDs no matter how you cut and rearrange them.

Last edited:
AS mk378 stated so well. I have used various arrangements in a car trailer and to provide ambient lighting around a couple of large plasma tvs. A varible dimmer may well be a good addition too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back