SUNL 49cc Scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gas line on my little SUNL piece of scooter junk seems to not be clogged (I blew air from the filter towards the tank and heard it blowing up into the tank), but gas doesn't want to run through it from the tank to the carb. There are other hoses running from the gas tank as well. Any ideas what, besides getting a better scooter, I might look for?

THANKS!!!

Possible air lock of the tank. Bad plugged vent? Take off the gas cap? I would try see of fuel would flow without filter. I have no idea if you may have a vacuum actuated fuel valve.

vacuum petcocks are common on scooters. I had one go bad and fill the crankcase with fuel when the needle seat did not close all the way.

It should have a vacuum petcock. You can replace it with a manual cutoff petcock. But new vac ones are usually < $10 on amazon.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Might it have a vacuum fuel pump?

Probably not on the 49er. I have on a 250 though.

Well, vacuum activated petcock replaced. Gas comes from the tank down to the filter when I crank the machine. I decided to start it before reassembling. Now it has no spark. The dang thing ran 10 days ago! Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I take the plug out, put the plug wire back on it, then ground the side of it to the engine's metal, I should see spark while cranking the engine. I do it that way on mowers all the time. Any special tricks? I've ordered the new coil on EBay after trying a brand new plug just to see if it sparked. I've heard that problems with these Chinese scooters come in bunches, but dang! Any larger scooters out there that are reliable without breaking the bank? I'm hooked.

Wish I would have watched one of the many YouTube videos about Chinese scooters without any spark before I started guessing at what was wrong. New CDI from EBay is on the way now. I guess I should have ordered new tires, tubes, wheels, frame, tank, engine, cables, ignition, hoses, lights, fenders, battery, etc to try and get ahead of the game?

OK...I'm ready to shove this scooter off a cliff. New petcock, new plug, new coil, new CDI box. Still no spark. Any ideas?

I would toss it off the cliff.
If you're really interested in using a 50cc machine as transportation get a Honda Ruckus or Yamaha Zuma. I have a older Zuma 50cc 2 stroke and they are very reliable as long as you keep them stock. As you are finding out it's cheaper in the long run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
OK...I'm ready to shove this scooter off a cliff. New petcock, new plug, new coil, new CDI box. Still no spark. Any ideas?

Ask the experts at the ScootDawg forum.

Could one of kill switches (if so equipped) have gotten bumped? Those will kill spark/ignition. Back when I had a little TaoTao 110cc 4-wheeler for that kids, that sucker had a handlebar tether kill switch, an ignition key, a rear pull-cord type kill switch and a remote FOB kill!! I had printed out the basic electrical schematics at the time just in case and it was in the manual as well. Never did have an issue with it luckily.

I know with my kid's machine, I had to go through pretty much every nut/bolt and apply blue loctite to critical stuff. Plus I checked every electrical connector I could, applied dielectric grease and secured a lot of wiring a lot better than "OEM".

Last edited:
The kill switch won't even let the starter turn if it's off. I notice that the key (when turned all the way to the right) doesn't turn the machine on. You have to turn it to the left a little, but it does activate the ignition and starter. I ordered the stator and the special tool to remove the flywheel last night from EBay. I'm glad the parts are cheap, but regret not buying the stator, cdi, coil combo from the beginning. I even considered that the plug wasn't grounded against good enough metal to check the spark, but that didn't pan out.

I swore I'd never learn to work on one of these Chinese machines, but...learn, learn, learn!

OK...new stator, coil, cdi, plug, and petcock installed. Great spark...still doesn't start. No gas getting to the plug. New carb on the way courtesy of EBay. At this rate, I should be riding it by 2018.

Well, it purrs like a kitten now. If only the headlight still worked. Wonder if I shorted something out. All the wires got plugged back in. The headlight and the display illumination are both out so I know it's probably not the headlight bulb. What's a guy to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back