Yamalube 4 Stroke Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I did the 600 mile oil and filter change on my new XSR900 yesterday, and used Yamalube 10W-40 and an OEM Yamaha oil filter. The bottle of Yamalube oil doesn't give any hint to who makes the oil for Yamaha, but it sure has a similar smell to Valvoline motorcycle 4-stoke oil, which I've used in my other bikes.

Anyone know who actually supplies the 4-stroke motor oil for Yamaha?

The contracts change over the years. Last I knew...it was Spectro but in the past Yamahalube products been made by Torco, CITGO, and Chevron.

The Yamalube brand is blended by Spectrum Corporation in Tennessee that was acquired by Phillips 66 in 2014 to break into the specialty lubricants sector. The All Purpose 10W40 & 20W50 is Group II/Group II plus, with their Semi-Synthetic and Full Synthetic base oils going up in each category.

The Denso made oil filters are also pretty well constructed and come with a silicon ADV which is a bonus, although I don't have any numbers on their beta ratio.

Any anticipated issue running that in a car?

I have quite a bit, and these days ride motorcycles very little.

Only thing I can think of might be lack of friction modifiers, due to wet clutch compatability.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Any anticipated issue running that in a car?

I have quite a bit, and these days ride motorcycles very little.

Only thing I can think of might be lack of friction modifiers, due to wet clutch compatability.

It's perfectly safe to run in any 4 stroke engine. If it will hold up to a 190hp per liter R1 it will be fine in a car IMO.

I don't think you would have an issue.

Depending on the vehicle (and their recommended viscosity) you plan on using along with ambient temperatures it will be operating in, there shouldn't be any issues. It meets JASO MA along with API SJ category which technically speaking can be used in vehicles from 2001-2004.

Last edited:
Same oil Yamaha recommends for their 4-stroke outboards. The company I worked for had a fleet of 30 75, 80 and 90 HP Yamaha 4-stroke outboards, which we run continuously (7-days per week), at 6,000 RPM for about 3 hours per day and the other 7 hours idling. Plus a number of 40 HP 4-strokes. We replace them at 2,000 hours, and they are still running motors that do not burn oil at that point. I would say the oil must be doing a good job and would be fine for any 4-stroke engine.

Originally Posted By: Analyzer
The Yamalube brand is blended by Spectrum Corporation in Tennessee that was acquired by Phillips 66 in 2014 to break into the specialty lubricants sector. The All Purpose 10W40 & 20W50 is Group II/Group II plus, with their Semi-Synthetic and Full Synthetic base oils going up in each category.

The Denso made oil filters are also pretty well constructed and come with a silicon ADV which is a bonus, although I don't have any numbers on their beta ratio.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the OEM Yamaha oil filter (by DENSO, Made in Thailand) looks very well constructed. I cut the factory filter open and it looks good inside. The DENSO on the bike from the factory had a light brown colored silicone ADBV, but the new DENSO I got at the Yamaha dealer has a blue silicone ADBV.

The filter element itself is constructed basically like the Toyota DENSO filters with no real end caps, and each end of the pleats are glued together.

No problem! They are manufactured nearly identical to the OEM Toyota Denso filters and are a solid design indeed. The original filter that came with your XSR that has the tan/brown ADBV is the "newest" version of the 5GH-13440-00-00, while older stock of the filter came with the blue color (with construction being identical of course). I always liked the blue ADBV, but Yamaha was probably able to save some money going with a more standard color.

Last edited:
No problem! They are manufactured nearly identical to the OEM Toyota Denso filters and are a solid design indeed. The original filter that came with your XSR that has the tan/brown ADBV is the "newest" version of the 5GH-13440-00-00, while older stock of the filter came with the blue color (with construction being identical of course). I always liked the blue ADBV, but Yamaha was probably able to save some money going with a more standard color.

Good info on the Yamaha filter. I figured the blue ADBV was the newer version since the bike was built in April 2016, and I bought the filter from the dealer in late August ... guess the dealer stock hasn't caught up yet with the newer filter. Or thought that maybe Yamaha used a different colored ADBV on the factory filter so the dealers could tell if the original factory filter was ever changed if the bike came in for service.

Both filters have the same exact Yamaha part number (5GH-13440-50) and DENSO part number (BT115010-6371) on the can.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Good info on the Yamaha filter. I figured the blue ADBV was the newer version since the bike was built in April 2016, and I bought the filter from the dealer in late August ... guess the dealer stock hasn't caught up yet with the newer filter. Or thought that maybe Yamaha used a different colored ADBV on the factory filter so the dealers could tell if the original factory filter was ever changed if the bike came in for service.

Both filters have the same exact Yamaha part number (5GH-13440-50) and DENSO part number (BT115010-6371) on the can.

Sorry about the last part number, I had accidentally typed 5GH-13440-00-00 instead of the proper 5GH-13440-50-00. They have traditionally been blue ADBV for years but only recently (within the last couple months) have we received the tan/brown ADBV. Yamaha keeps large part stock of those filters (as it is the most common spin on oil filter for the Yamaha lineup) in their three continental warehouses and are more than likely shipping out all remaining versions with the blue ADBV before distributing the newer version.

I'm trying to get their beta ratio at some point as I hope they have a higher efficiency than what the Toyota OEM filters received from Amsoil's OEM filter comparison of 51% at 20 microns (which is of course open for discrepancy).

I'm trying to get their beta ratio at some point as I hope they have a higher efficiency than what the Toyota OEM filters received from Amsoil's OEM filter comparison of 51% at 20 microns (which is of course open for discrepancy).

If you do find out what the efficiency is on the Yamaha filters, please let us know. I wouldn't be surprised if it was around the same as the Toyota Denso, but if Yamaha specifies what they want for efficiency, then maybe it's much better than ~50% @ 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If you do find out what the efficiency is on the Yamaha filters, please let us know. I wouldn't be surprised if it was around the same as the Toyota Denso, but if Yamaha specifies what they want for efficiency, then maybe it's much better than ~50% @ 20 microns.

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully I find out the efficiency sooner rather than later, but once I do I'll definitely report back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back