F1 - 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I missed posting Singapore for you guys. TOV Motorsports was down and I was on vacation at the same time.

F1 - 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix

US TV Schedule

Practice 1: Thursday September 29th, 10:00PM EST , NBC Sports Live Extra
Practice 2: Friday September 30th, 2:00AM EST , NBCSN
Practice 3: Saturday October 1st, 2:00AM EST , NBC Sports Live Extra
Qualifying: Saturday October 1st, 5:00AM EST , NBCSN
Race: Sunday October 2nd, 02:00AM EST , NBCSN

Current Standings

Drivers
1. Nico Rosberg, 273
2. Lewis Hamilton, 265
3. Daniel Ricciardo, 179
4. Sebastian Vettel, 153
5. Kimi Raikkonen, 148
Constructors
1. Mercedes AMG Petronas, 538
2. Red Bull Racing, 316
3. Scuderia Ferrari, 301
4. Sahara Force India, 112
5. Williams Martini Racing, 111

For more including track data and video, please check out my full post on TOV Motorsports

02_Malaysia_72dpi.jpg

Thanks!

Hamilton better get his head out of his butt. Rosberg has been steady and fast lately.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Hamilton better get his head out of his butt. Rosberg has been steady and fast lately.

Nah, Hamilton's head is fine right where it is. A 3rd title would the incredibly boring.

The new surface and profile have really changed the track. Might be an interesting race.

So it looks like they slowed it down, and replaced asphalt with gravel. Great, now the cars can receive more damage for going off track, making it more expensive. Real smart. Ever notice things never change for the better? This certainly appears to be true in F1.

I watched the first practice session, and it looked to me like the worst thing they did was put adverse camber into turn 15. Lots (probably all) of the drivers were sliding wide of the apex. The commentators said the inside of the track is 3.5 feet higher than the outside.

In 15 they raised the inside by a meter, not that it's a meter higher than the outside.

bilt460, why so glum!? How about this: the slowest time in FP2 is 4 seconds faster than the fastest race lap last year.

Good to have Diffey back. You don't realize how good he is until you see the alternatives. And, although I love TB, no one does the grid walk like Will Buxton. Best racing broadcast in the business IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
..... no one does the grid walk like Will Buxton.

Thank God. I doubt the broadcast world could take 2 of him. Unless there was over the counter Valium available.

Glad Diffey was back as well and I'll be glad when Buxton is back next week, too. Today I finally resorted to yelling at the TV when TB said Ver-STOP-en for the hundredth time in the past few weeks.

Very exciting race. I was really hoping Hamilton would win and keep the WDC a nail-biter. I hope something happens to Rosberg's car that allows it to tighten up and come down to the last race.

Good drive from the McLaren Honda duo. It will be interesting to see what they can do with the new power unit upgrades. They seem to be effective and they'll surely optimize them more on the ECU side for Suzuka.

I'm really glad to see Force India doing as well as they have been.

Haas can't seem to catch a break. Hopefully they end the season with a few more points than they have now.

I was really hoping Magnussen would get another points finish for Renault today but he got sandwiched at the start and his car was damaged. Palmer came through with his first F1 point but I'm afraid it was not on merit with so many cars out.

And we can't forget about Red Bull. I think both drivers did an outstanding job and Max showed some real maturity today.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
bilt460, why so glum!? How about this: the slowest time in FP2 is 4 seconds faster than the fastest race lap last year.

That's not much to crow about, when you consider the fact the track record at Malaysia was set over a decade ago, back in 2004 by Montoya. Remember him? As we have seen so much recently in Formula 1, technology does not necessarily bring faster speeds or times. Instead it usually brings more parts, complexity, and cost.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: gofast182

That's not much to crow about, when you consider the fact the track record at Malaysia was set over a decade ago, back in 2004 by Montoya. Remember him? As we have seen so much recently in Formula 1, technology does not necessarily bring faster speeds or times. Instead it usually brings more parts, complexity, and cost.

Not really. the cars are always getting faster. The FIA has to figure out ways to slow the down.

The race was interesting. I think Hamilton is losing his mind thinking the team is sabotaging him at a race sponsored by Petronas.
Ferrari is lost. I expect McLaren to be better than Ferrari next year. If Red Bull had an engine, they'd be fighting Merc every week.
Is Vettel feeling the pressure? There was no way that pass was going to work. It was just a few months ago he was criticizing Kyvat for attempting the same move.
I like Riccardio. It's fun watching him win.

Originally Posted By: whip
Not really. the cars are always getting faster. The FIA has to figure out ways to slow the down.

Then why make them faster? That mentality is like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer, because it feels good when you stop. Every year they make every one of the rules that allow the speeds they achieve. A book full of them. ("Sporting Regulations" they so wittingly enjoy tagging them with). Then turn right around and invent some way to limit the speed they just allowed them to create. Talk about a Hamster on a wheel! And spare me how all of this "technology" is going to bleed down to the Prius you're going to buy your daughter on her 18th birthday.

There's always NASCAR if you don't like F1. As whip said, the cars are properly fast now and will be even moreso next year. The ironic thing is the mission statement for the 2017 regs. was conceived when the current gen. cars were significantly slower than they are now (particularly this year). That said, in the past the primary reason to slow the cars down from time to time is due to safety concerns. For example, is W runoff area in turn X at Y track enough to stop or sufficiently slow a car traveling at Z speed? Now, most if not all, circuits have been modernized to the point where these safety concerns are less of an issue (not to mention car safety). Anyway, the beauty of F1 is the engineers aerodynamicists function at such an incredibly high level they always manage to claw back what was regulated away (and the cycle repeats).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back