Just Bought 2014 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
That CR-V should be good to go for a long time. Port-injected K-series engine and conventional 5-speed automatic. The AWD is tons of fun in the snow. The rear end hooks up so good, you can slide it around like a RWD and do donuts in parking lots. That was the case, at least, with our '08 CR-V.

These are excellent cars. I think it was the '15 when the rough idle problems started, with the new DI engine. We've gone through that - there's a TSB that solved the issue for us in the '15.

Agree on the AWD fluid. If it's still the "dual pump fluid", I know the earlier ones needed that fluid changed pretty regularly 30k? and it made a big difference to stay on top of it.

Good luck and enjoy.

-m

Originally Posted By: meep
These are excellent cars. I think it was the '15 when the rough idle problems started, with the new DI engine. We've gone through that - there's a TSB that solved the issue for us in the '15.

Agree on the AWD fluid. If it's still the "dual pump fluid", I know the earlier ones needed that fluid changed pretty regularly 30k?

-m

Meep....yeah, that's why I went with the 2014. Older proven engine design and no CVT. I guess I went with what I know....LOL!!

Nothing to change/service besides the ATF and the rear diff, right? I haven't had time to go through the manual yet. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I the rear diff needs the "dual pump fluid".

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: meep

Agree on the AWD fluid. If it's still the "dual pump fluid", I know the earlier ones needed that fluid changed pretty regularly 30k?

-m

Meep....yeah, that's why I went with the 2014. Older proven engine design and no CVT. I guess I went with what I know...

Nothing to change/service besides the ATF and the rear diff, right? I haven't had time to go through the manual yet. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I the rear diff needs the "dual pump fluid".

Honda's "Maintenance Minder" should help if it's been kept up to date (a big "if"). One thing the MM doesn't track is brake fluid; as Honda specifies a change every 3 years you may be almost due. And you may want to take a peek at the engine and cabin air filters - these seem to be 30k items.

Yeah, just engine oil, ATF, and rear diff fluid. You'll quickly find that DIY maintenance is super easy on this thing. All sumps have easy-to-access drain and fill plugs. The "transfer case" (transmission PTO) is lubricated by the ATF on the CR-V, so there is not a separate sump for that. On the larger vehicles (Pilots/Ridgelines, etc), the transfer cases have 80W-90 in them.

The ATF should take about 3 quarts on a change, and the rear diff fluid is about a quart and a half. Remember that you check a Honda's ATF with the fluid hot and the engine off.

That's the bad part about Subaru, the maintenance costs are high, partly due to the AWD, partly due to the timing belt, which I think they have a pretty short limit on. Hopefully you won't run into the widespread VTC actuator issue, although I think they finally do have a fix for. If you experience it, MAKE Honda fix it, they tend to try to weasel out of it. And yes, definitely keep on to of, ahead of actually, the drive fluids. The winter traction won't be as good as your Forester, but put some snows on it and it will be a trooper. Trade in seems a little disappointing on the Forester as they hype that they maintain their value better than any other SUV.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
That's the bad part about Subaru, the maintenance costs are high, partly due to the AWD, partly due to the timing belt, which I think they have a pretty short limit on. Hopefully you won't run into the widespread VTC actuator issue, although I think they finally do have a fix for. If you experience it, MAKE Honda fix it, they tend to try to weasel out of it. And yes, definitely keep on to of, ahead of actually, the drive fluids. The winter traction won't be as good as your Forester, but put some snows on it and it will be a trooper. Trade in seems a little disappointing on the Forester as they hype that they maintain their value better than any other SUV.

Yes, Honda has the updated part available. I can confirm as my Accord has the part! If you hear the grind on start up take it in, they will probably want to keep the car overnight to hear it for themselves. Honda is well aware of the issue and they should cover it under warranty if yours is affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back