2003 Impala Base hesitates, bogs up to 20 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some more data on this problem. The cat was replaced. Also, the problem is somewhat intermittent, usually occurs when getting up to speed but not always. We're going to do the plugs and wires and go from there.

Those are good parts, once those are in you have the general ignition maintenance items done and eliminated. If that takes car of it good if not on with the diagnosing not parts changing.

So it was a real bear getting the old boots off of the plugs. Two of the rear wires were partially welded to the plugs and the boot material came off in a ring on the ceramic of the plug. And they looked to be iridium plugs with the small diameter tip. We did finally roll the engine forward to get those 2 boots off. Anyway, my friend says the car drove much better on the way home. That was Friday afternoon. On Monday morning he drove about 3 miles and the car overheated. He just got the car back from his mechanic and was told his radiator was shot. It never externally leaked any fluid. Could we have done something when the engine was rolled to cause this? I feel really bad about this.

From the Impalas I've worked on if you did anything moving the engine around it would have cracked one of the plastic coolant fittings. If it still had all the coolant in it upon arrival at the shop it wasn't something you did.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am not understanding how rolling forward the engine got the 2 boots off?
These engines are an absolute PITA to change spark plugs on. The firewall sits too far over the engine and there is basically no access to the rear spark plugs.

My mom has a 2003 Buick Rendezvous and I even removed the front mounts and rolled the engine forward and couldn't change the rear plugs.

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
Have these parts in cart. Good to go?

yup. Either them or the iridium plugs would be good in that. Given we are being budget conscience I would stick with the double plat

If there was no damage to it externally and its got a bad radiator its just a lousy coincidence. FSM instructs the engine to be rolled forward to access the rear plugs.

Never knew that term! I presume you guys are talking about removing an engine mount (or two) and twisting the engine to get better access. Wouldn't that put some stress on some of the hoses etc which go from the engine to the parts which are bolted to the body?

I tried to get the boots off without tilting the engine away from the firewall. There's enough access for me to get both hands on the boot, but the best I could do was to push the boot away from the plug, using only my hand strength. I'm not strong enough for that to work on these past due plugs. By rolling the engine I was able to get behind the boot and pull on it using hands and forearms. I don't know if special tools would help but I would look into it before trying this again.

I was aware of possible stress moving the engine could cause. Even so it was a miserably humid day to be doing the work and I thought I may have missed something with all of the sweat but the hoses looked fine to me, I made sure the radiator hoses (top hose especially) didn't look stressed. Any way, the risk taken when working on vehicles, I just rather stick to my own but I thought I could handle this job. The hesitation on launch is much improved but still there on initial acceleration according to my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back