Best High Mileage 5w-30 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't loose too much sleep over the oil consumption honestly. But to try and control it some I'd suggest a new OEM PCV as others have mentioned in addition to Valvoline Max Life (probably not the synthetic to keep costs of topping off reasonable) in the weight of your choice. Going into winter I'd personally use a 5w30. 10w30/40 are also suitable choices per the owners manual posted above.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
No amount of "cleaning" is going to fix worn rings, valve guides or seals.

Yep. You're wasting money on bandaid/snake oil solutions.

Originally Posted By: dx92beater
Man, I missed the 10w-40. Oh well at least I will get a better idea of consumption this winter being that I am moving to a place that is a few degrees colder than where I am now.

Thanks, and I am hoping to report back with better news, I REALLY am.

Better news? There's nothing wrong with your car. Keep it topped off and it will run for a long, long time. Quit being lazy.

I would try a 10w30 instead of the 5w30. Try Valvoline maxlife. I have had good results with it. Don't expect a fix/miracle but it has reduced the usage of oil in some older cars I used it in.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Get a new OEM PCV and run the cheapest dino HM 5w30 you can find. 1 qt per every 800 isn't TERRIBLE on the flat 6.

Also I see you have Galant VR4. I built 1439/2000 years ago. Nice choice!

Thanks bud. It really is quite the jackstand queen, but that is more of the expectation ya know.

Subaru engines are known for using oil, it's the design of the engine's combustion chamber that's to blame. Because the pistons sit horizontally, oil is always leftover sitting in the cylinders and tends to seep past the piston rings as they age while the cars aren't running and is burned off the next time the engine is ran.

I've never seen a Subie that didn't use a little oil, even the brand new ones we work on are a touch low whenever they come in for an OC. I don't think HM oil will slow this down much, but it doesn't hurt to try. In that case, I'd go for a PPHM or Valvoline Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I wouldn't loose too much sleep over the oil consumption honestly. But to try and control it some I'd suggest a new OEM PCV as others have mentioned in addition to Valvoline Max Life (probably not the synthetic to keep costs of topping off reasonable) in the weight of your choice. Going into winter I'd personally use a 5w30. 10w30/40 are also suitable choices per the owners manual posted above.

Kind of funny that you all mention the 10w40 option. I must have heard that echo as I left the store because I walked out with one 5 gallon jug of 5W30 and another 5 gallon jug of 5w30.

I put 5 quarts of 5w30 in and then 1.5 quarts of 10w30 until I realized that I had done that!

Oh well, the vehicle takes 6.7 quarts, so I'll continue to add 10w30 as it burns it.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

No I am not, I have some seafoam laying around that I put in my pressure washer. Again, it's only for the PCV valve setup.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I would try a 10w30 instead of the 5w30. Try Valvoline maxlife. I have had good results with it. Don't expect a fix/miracle but it has reduced the usage of oil in some older cars I used it in.

Thanks for the info. I'll try that out if the HMPP doesn't work out.

Man, I missed the 10w-40. Oh well at least I will get a better idea of consumption this winter being that I am moving to a place that is a few degrees colder than where I am now.

Thanks, and I am hoping to report back with better news, I REALLY am.

Better news? There's nothing wrong with your car. Keep it topped off and it will run for a long, long time. Quit being lazy.

Not lazy, just more cars than this one and the ones in the signature.....really not lazy at all, but thanks.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Subaru engines are known for using oil, it's the design of the engine's combustion chamber that's to blame. Because the pistons sit horizontally, oil is always leftover sitting in the cylinders and tends to seep past the piston rings as they age while the cars aren't running and is burned off the next time the engine is ran.

I've never seen a Subie that didn't use a little oil, even the brand new ones we work on are a touch low whenever they come in for an OC. I don't think HM oil will slow this down much, but it doesn't hurt to try. In that case, I'd go for a PPHM or Valvoline Maxlife.

Thanks for the info. She is high maintenance.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I'd be very surprised if PHM doesn't help your situation. Good stuff

Well I started it after changing the oil and it smoked quite a bit.
frown.gif

Does it take time to do what it is going to do? I always wondered about that.

frown.gif

I have no idea. Never had smoking problems on any of the vehicles. I guess wait after a couple thousand miles and if it still doesn't then you should have your answer :]

No I am not, I have some seafoam laying around that I put in my pressure washer. Again, it's only for the PCV valve setup.

you wasted your money when you bought it for your pressure washer

frown.gif

I have no idea. Never had smoking problems on any of the vehicles. I guess wait after a couple thousand miles and if it still doesn't then you should have your answer :]

Sounds like a plan!

you wasted your money when you bought it for your pressure washer

Ok, you win.

If you want to try HM, I would use Mobil 1 and personally move up to 10w40 as I think you could get away with it since it's a synthetic.. High HTHS as well as a low poor point for winter while thicker than PPHM.

Good luck with what you've already chosen.

Last edited:

frown.gif

It doesn't work instantly. Could take several oil changes for it to start slowing consumption.

I have used PHM in the past and it worked very well it is blended on the high side of the spectrum... I now use Mobil Super High Mileage which is not blended on the high side and i will have to let you know i just changed it so i will neeed time to see..I think Mobil is a syn blend HM with titanium which they say is good. Time will tell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back