Oil filter from Rock Auto???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyo

I just received my order from Rockauto and the box was damaged but still intact, not opened. One of the oil filters(fram XG575)was damaged and one filter (motorcraft fl910s)was shipped with no box. I called Rockauto and they are shipping a new fram filter, they also said it was not normal to ship a filter without the box and asked me to inspect the filter. Everything looks ok, no dents, no visible damage. Should I be concerned and return it? Thanks for the any input.

I purchased some 'clearance' filters from RA last year and they were made back in the early 1990's....No more 'clearance' filters from RA for me...

Not sure how to read the manufacture date code. This was stamped on the filter. 912301514.

December 30, 2015.

I ordered 8 filters from Rock Auto in September of 2015 (3 Car Quest Reds, 5 Carquest Blues) and 2 of the CQ Reds (Fram made) were not in boxes, just wrapped in cellophane and then wrapped in bubble wrap, the other 6 (all Wix made) were in boxes. None of them were damaged, even though one of the boxes was pretty banged up (and the warehouse it was shipped from is only 30 miles from me).
All of mine were made in late 2014 or early 2015.

Some are really really old and have been stored open and are full of [censored]. Not worth it.

If you want a cheap, decent filter go buy a CQ Red at Advance with 20% off code or a Supertech filter at walmart.

Me too!

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
I also received oil filters from Rock Auto recently and 3 of the 4 were dented.

I wouldn't doubt if one was getting shop bulk pack filters from RA suppliers. I probably would be getting shop packs for my vehicles if I wasn't planning on moving or residing in two differant states.

Rock Auto is a great source for parts but I would never buy an oil filter from there.

I also purchased 2 Carquest oil filters from RA a month or so ago. No box, they were just shrink wrapped. I didn't have any trouble with them.

Originally Posted By: Macgyver452
I also purchased 2 Carquest oil filters from RA a month or so ago. No box, they were just shrink wrapped. I didn't have any trouble with them.
Same for me. I scored 20+ CQ Blue filters from RA for my 2015 PSD and some were in boxes, but others shrink wrapped. With the exception of one that had a small dent in the dome (but would have been usable which I discovered after I cut it open) all of them were perfect and I saved hundreds of dollars by buying them when I did.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Rock Auto is a great source for parts but I would never buy an oil filter from there.

I have been doing it for years now without issues. Probably has something to do with the distributors they are using and not rockauto themselves. I have ordered all sorts of filters from them and them have always arrived in good shape in the original boxes.

I recently bought about 60 oil filters from Rock as some of my friends joined me in buying up some of the clearance Carquest filters offered under the ultra power brand (seems to be over stock and vendor closeouts from various sources) of all those filters 1 was badly crushed on the side and 3 had minor dents on the dome end. The dome end dents ranged from 0.020-0.060" deep. Not bad enough that I wouldn't use them but I did email customer service. They happily sent out 4 replacement filters. Of those 4 replacement filters 3 were dented in an identical fashion. I sent another email and they refunded the 3 filters. I'll likely use all of the lightly dented filters I will cut the badly dented one and post. As for the plastic wrapped filters when Carquest sold these the master pack of 12 came in a box with each filter individually shrink wrapped. My guess is these filters are coming from master packs. Much like 2015-PSD my friends and I saved HUNDREDS of dollars on these filters. It was a mix of CQ red and blue mostly.

I ordered a bunch of filters from there beginning of the year because they were clearancing them out.

I bought i think 5 of each filter, hastings made federated filters, wix made partsmaster filters and wix made carquest filters.

the wix filters were wrapped in plastic no box and the hastings filters were in boxes no plastic, but they were all packed in a large box with no damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back