Are Yokohama tires any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are decent except for a glaring fault with all seasons. Abysmal winter traction at best.

This is over four sets over the last 18 years.

Maybe it does not snow much in Yokohama Japan?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
They are decent except for a glaring fault with all seasons. Abysmal winter traction at best.

Yokohama does make real winter tires, like the Iceguard IG52c and the Wdrive

I'll have to disagree with you on that, however, we certainly don't get the snow you do. But when we do, my Yokos are still on the car.

winter tyres are mandatory there IIRC

Anyone have a take on Yokohama's use of Orange Oil on these? Seems a little hokey to me but they claim better longevity and grip at high temps.

Originally Posted By: SR20DE
Anyone have a take on Yokohama's use of Orange Oil on these? Seems a little hokey to me but they claim better longevity and grip at high temps.

Just that the orange oil is such a low percentage of the petroleum replacement. Just enough to say it's there. Gimmiky.

Originally Posted By: 2civics

Just that the orange oil is such a low percentage of the petroleum replacement. Just enough to say it's there. Gimmiky.

Interesting. I wonder if the normal petrol based additive essentially does the same thing. Oh well.. not as interesting as Cooper's guayule R&D.

I have likely had Avid Touring S for 5 years and 75K miles. They are great at everything except wet traction and a little weather checking that began in less than 4 years. They really handle and ride well. If this car would be driven in snow, I'd have to replace them this fall. I have other vehicles I can drive in the snow, so it isn't an issue on this car. If I lived in a dry climate, and they weren't weather checked, I'd get at least 10K more miles out of them. I may anyway.

I think the orange content is for low temperature rubber performance to prevent it from hardening. Orange has some pretty cool properties to it when you look into it.

Yes, apparently other manufacturers are using it, too, or at least that had been the plan when the matter was first mentioned some years ago. I just put some Avid Ascends on the G37, but it's too early to have much of an opinion on them. The price was competitive enough and I wanted to try something different than the Michelin MXM4s I had on there before, so, we'll see.

I have Avid ENVigors on my SAABs and think they're great (hence the two sets). Of course, I don't have any real winter weather concerns down here so poor performance in that area doesn't impact me. They're quiet, wear well, superb dry & wet handling. I'd buy Yokohama tires again.

I have only high praise for Yokohama tires. My first experience with Yokos was with their heavy (OTR) truck tires. They rode and handled as well as the Michelin's that I have run for many years. Tires make a huge difference on big trucks, too. That was what got me to try their car tires.

I have Yokohama all season tires (Avid Ascend), as well as winter tires (IG51V). I'm very impressed with the ride, handling and quietness of both sets. I'm a pickup truck guy so my experience with car tires is limited, but I do know the Avid Ascend's were a huge improvement to the Michelin (pilot...primacy...? can't remember now) tires that the car came out of the factory with.

In my opinion, Yokohama tires are very high quality, from car tires to big rig tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back