Falken ZIEX ZE950 $83 ($400)
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring $77 ($405)
Kumho Ecsta PA31 $81 ($420)
Kelly Edge A/S $104 ($420)
Nexen N5000 Plus $85 ($440)
Firestone Firehawk AS $91 ($440)
Cooper CS3 TOURING $89 ($450)
General Altimax RT43 $91 ($460)

Price in parentheses is total installed. Any opinions?

Which of those meet the appropriate load and speed rating for the vehicle?

I ran Bridgestone RE730 Pole Position or some such name on my 2004 9-3 in that size after I aged out the Pirelli P5 tires. At this point, Id consider the Pirelli P7, as well as the Cooper C5 Ultra.

The Sumitomo's are the best value listed....good tire/good price....the Falkens and Uniroyals are very good too....

I have had the Firestone Firehawk and Falken ZIEX ZE912 and both were terrible in the ice and snow. The General Altimax has a $50 rebate between now and October 15 if you buy a set of 4

Of that list I'd buy the Dunlop Signature II hands down, reasonable price, quiet, comfortable and suitable for the relatively mild winters in your neck of the woods. I really like a lot of the Sumitomo line, but the one listed here has TERRIBLE reviews for wet traction.

P7s are a good tire, but I'm going to toss this out there: I got a set of the Conti PureContacts for my 2011 Fusion about 26k miles ago, and they are barely wearing. In your list, a set of 4 would run $409 just for tires. So it's about in the middle. I will admit, as soon as I left the Tire Rack in South Bend I was seriously questioning my purchase of these tires- they rode hard, and were VERY noisy compared to the stock Michelins. After about 1500 miles, they quieted down significantly, and grip in dry and wet are much better than the stock Michelins. They will corner to the point of pushing the nose through a corner without squealing. They can still be just a hair harsh over bumps, but overall are a great tire. I'd buy them again. Snow performance is obviously not super in a front-wheel drive car, but then again, this is my wife's car- I've driven Subarus for the past 8 years, so I'm just a tad biased as far as sure-footedness. I'd give them an 8.5 overall.

Tire Rack - Conti PureContact

We just sold our 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero....got a '99 9-5 SE in the stable.

Why not the Cooper CS5? I LOVED my CS4's...wore like iron.

Continental Pure Contacts are great tires. I have 'em on my car now.

Don't overlook that wear number. I shoot for 700 or better. Those 480-540 tires wear real fast.

Best of.....

The Sumitomo HTR AS P02 has slightly different siping than the Falken Ziex ZE950, but they're otherwise identical.

My first choice would be the Dunlop Signature II

I know you have the Cooper CS3 listed, but is the CS5 Ultra available in your size? Because there is a rebate going on that makes it a good deal and may very well end up making them cheaper than the CS3 or at least very close.

I'm finding my RT43s on a Accord to be a very good tire, and as noted currently a $50 rebate set of 4 till 10/15.

Copper currently has $50 rebate on the CS3 and $70 rebate on the CS5 till 10/31.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Of that list I'd buy the Dunlop Signature II hands down, reasonable price, quiet, comfortable and suitable for the relatively mild winters in your neck of the woods. I really like a lot of the Sumitomo line, but the one listed here has TERRIBLE reviews for wet traction.

I have these on my HHR in this exact size and they're fine.

I also had one in 14" that got out-of-round.

I would go with Uniroyal, Kelly if you don't plan on keeping it forever. Cooper CS5 (ignore the 3s, 5s are better in every aspect.) or the generals.

I think the General RT43 is the best tire on that list. However, if you're trying to go cheaper I would also consider the Cooper, Uniroyal, and Dunlops.

RT43 for sure. Have them on my GF's car and they are VERY good in the snow for an all season. MUCH better than most other all seasons as far as snow is concerned.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Sumitomo HTR AS P02 tires were easiest to get a hold of, so I'm going to give them a try. I'll report back.

I got the Sumitomos. I like them a lot. I think they're a great value.

Keep us updated! I hope you get many enjoyable miles out of them
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back