Trying to teach someone to drive stick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I think the best thing to do is to learn how a clutch works, then try it on a riding mower or ATV before graduating to a motor vehicle.

That definitely helps! I know I learned as a 12yr/old or so when my parents would let me start and warm up the car before we went somewhere. I eventually started practicing taking off in 1st, or backing up in reverse unbeknownst to my parents at the time.

Part of my job includes the facilitation of loading cryogenic liquid tanker trucks. Most of our new hire plant techs have never seen 3-pedals across in anything with a steering wheel. A real joy teaching them on a Freightliner tractor with a 10spd. Ugh..

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I think they stopped making Hindustan Ambassador quite a while ago but your point still stands. If you want to buy vintage Fiat or vintage Morris, India would be the place to pick them up. I recall Wheeler Dealer had an episode where he did buy an Ambassador in India to resell in England and he made decent coin on it.

Getting back to the topic, Maxima 3.0 VQ engine is one of the easiest to teach manual transmission. My son learned pretty quickly. On flat road, there is no need to touch the gas pedal as it has enough torque to get it moving. Once he got that concept down, it was easy. Then we practiced starting on the hill with handbrake and later without handbrake.

As per Wiki, it was made until 2014.

I'm not familiar with the Morris Oxford, the Ambassador sure looks an awful lot like a Morris Minor(a car on my "want" list, even though I know they're small and slow).

Quote:
I'd have to do some research on that, but the US would have been the only market with any potential for an automatic MG.
The MGC was a pig of a car with that vast old iron six ruining the car's weight distribution, although the shell did at least have to get a modern front suspension to make enough room to accommodate it. It was a poor substitute for the Austin Healy it was intended to replace.
A better fast version of the B was the MGB GT V-8 using the old light alloy GM engine. There was also the much later Rover RV-8 using the same engine built on the Tourer shell.
New MGB and Midget shells were available long after car production ceased in '79 for the Spridget and '80 for the B.

I'll have to pull out Claussinger when I get back into town on Friday, but I'm almost positive that automatic [censored] never made it to the US. I've heard of a few being transplanted out of Marinas and the like. Whatever the case, they are quite a rare beast. As I said, even with "only" 95hp, a 4-speed manual B is a fun and lively car. There's one particular road I drive on my way home from work with a fairly sharp unbanked 90º curve. It's 4(cramped) lanes wide, and I often see cars roll to a near stop and still manage to wallow over the lines(that's definitely a driver error, as I can't imagine any modern car short of a bus or 1 ton pickup handling that badly). On my way home yesterday, I was next to a riced out Jetta(apparently Civics are passé now to that crowd) who was revving his engine and generally being obnoxious with the occasional glance over to me. I hit the right lane, dropped into 3rd, hit the brakes to slow down before the curve, let the car level out, then ripped out of the curve and left Mr. Jetta in the dust. Granted, I think that is just a case of the nut behind the steering wheel being the most critical part of the car, as it should have been no context.

In any case, everything I've heard about automatic [censored](at least with an 1800 engine) is that they have a hard time getting out of their own way. I've heard a lot of praise for the strength of the BW auto, but also that it truly puts the "slush" in "slushbox."

Like I said, though, I think that the C largely got a bad rap and is not as terrible of a car as it's often made out to be. The extra weight out front means that it won't corner like a B, but again if you're used to driving [censored] it's REALLY easy to find yourself going faster than you realize. I can pretty well hear and feel the speed in my B(in fact I have to unless I'm in 4th in the RPM band where I know speeds, or have a GPS hooked up) but especially in a C GT you don't have the wind noise and the engine vibration is VERY different. I don't find them to be as much of a "pig" as they are often made out to be, and they do make a really nice, comfortable highway cruiser. One of the biggest obstacles is the fact that almost everything forward of the bulkhead is unique to the C. There are parts not even present in a B-i.e. only late [censored] got a brake booster, but the heavier C always had two of them(and they are not interchangeable with the late B one).

As far as the bodies-Heritage in England still makes MGB and Mini body parts and even complete bodies on the original tooling. They only thing they can't/don't make is the MKI(narrow) transmission tunnel for the B. I'm not sure about Spridget parts.

Where other than here would anyone have considered an automatic MGB, whatever this Claussinger might have to say about it?
The B was a good handling car and was short geared. As such, it should have easily slain some jumped up econobox automatic VW in a tight corner, as it did.
Any modern VW is faster in a straight line and offers better skidpad numbers, but a FWD econobox is no match for a purpose built RWD sports car in the twisties, even though the VW might be of far more modern design.
The B was and is a fine driver's car, easy to drive and easy to corner hard.
The B may not have offered a lot of straight line speed or skidpad grip, but on a real road, it was hard to beat.
My MGB also kept my ignorant and brave self from harm when I drove it with great daring in my early twenties. Not too many cars had the inherently good handling to have done that. The only real rap I have on the B is that while the brakes are as big as they could be within the 14" wheels, they are pretty weak.
The MGC is still a pig of a car, though.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
There's a fun factor when driving stick. I was driving the beans out of my neighbors Toyota Tundra V6 5spd after solving a driveability issue which turned out to be a dirty MAF sensor and a defective air filter. No-fun factor would be driving in traffic with a heavy load.

Fuel consumption is (or at least was) significantly better. That's a big deal in the UK, where petrol is very expensive, and that probably partly explains why manuals are the norm there.

I suppose if you drive a Toyota Tumour you don't think about fuel consumption much, though

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
There's a fun factor when driving stick. I was driving the beans out of my neighbors Toyota Tundra V6 5spd after solving a driveability issue which turned out to be a dirty MAF sensor and a defective air filter. No-fun factor would be driving in traffic with a heavy load.

Fuel consumption is (or at least was) significantly better. That's a big deal in the UK, where petrol is very expensive, and that probably partly explains why manuals are the norm there.

I suppose if you drive a Toyota Tumour you don't think about fuel consumption much, though

In many cases now, an automatic nets you a 1-2mpg gain over the comparable manual(if it's available). I think a lot of this has to do with the crazy number of gears that some automatics now have(7+ is common). This lets them match the gear very well to the speed and load, and it's hard to avoid the fact that a computer can do it more accurately and quickly than someone listening to the engine, watching the tach, and then having to press the clutch and move the stick.

I have a co-worker who is in his early 70s and just bought the first automatic he's ever owned in his life(although his wife had had them for years). He said it was a difficult decision, but the two things that made up his mind were the better MPG and remote start. He bought a Chevy Colorado, and said that even when he drove the manual he found the shifts too "mushy" and uncomfortable for him.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
I'm not familiar with the Morris Oxford, the Ambassador sure looks an awful lot like a Morris Minor(a car on my "want" list, even though I know they're small and slow).

The MO Oxford looked like a big Morris Minor, but the Series II which the Ambassador is based on, looks nothing like a Morris Minor at all. The MO was an Issogonis design, and I think the Series II was too, because it has his small on the outside but huge on the inside trademark. The Series II got the Austin designed BMC drive train, with the 1500 B block. My wife's first car....I converted it to a 1622 and A60 (Morris Oxford) rear end. So huge inside - we used to drive in bare feet, and opperate the wiper switch with our feet...the switch was over the other side of the car.

Later BMC's would have a BW35 option (what the MGB would've got), but the Series II Oxford (maybe it was the later III or IV) had a version of the Standrive, called Manumatic. This was the 4 speed manual gearbox with a centrifical clutch, and a push button electric control. i've driven both the ones in the Standard 10 and the Morris Oxford. Two pedals, so you pushed the button on the end of the gearlever (floor shift for the Standard 10, column for the Oxford) and put it into 1st, released the button and accelerated away, gearshifting was as per normal, just using the button instead of a clutch.

Originally Posted By: Silk

Later BMC's would have a BW35 option (what the MGB would've got), but the Series II Oxford (maybe it was the later III or IV) had a version of the Standrive, called Manumatic. This was the 4 speed manual gearbox with a centrifical clutch, and a push button electric control. i've driven both the ones in the Standard 10 and the Morris Oxford. Two pedals, so you pushed the button on the end of the gearlever (floor shift for the Standard 10, column for the Oxford) and put it into 1st, released the button and accelerated away, gearshifting was as per normal, just using the button instead of a clutch.

It seems like I've heard a similar manumatic being described as an option on the MG Magnette.

I've looked at MMs and even been close to buying one, but either they end up having problems that are too much to take on or they are(IMO) too expensive. There are a fair number of them in the US, and given the fact they really aren't all that popular I'd think they would be inexpensive to buy. My MGB was less expensive than the decent MMs I've looked at. Even so, the trafficators always get me
smile.gif

I'm seriously considering taking on an MGA project. It will be long and expensive, but I think ultimately will pay off-both financially(should I ever sell it) and in sheer fun and smile factor. One of my hold-ups initially was finding an engine for it, but I've found someone in driving distance who has both a 1500 from an A and an 18G(3 main) engine from an MGB that he wants to part with. The 18G is basically drop-in, and would make a nice upgrade.

Of course, there's always combining both worlds and getting a saloon on an MGA chassis-i.e. a Magnette
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Where other than here would anyone have considered an automatic MGB, whatever this Claussinger might have to say about it?
The B was a good handling car and was short geared. As such, it should have easily slain some jumped up econobox automatic VW in a tight corner, as it did.
Any modern VW is faster in a straight line and offers better skidpad numbers, but a FWD econobox is no match for a purpose built RWD sports car in the twisties, even though the VW might be of far more modern design.
The B was and is a fine driver's car, easy to drive and easy to corner hard.
The B may not have offered a lot of straight line speed or skidpad grip, but on a real road, it was hard to beat.
My MGB also kept my ignorant and brave self from harm when I drove it with great daring in my early twenties. Not too many cars had the inherently good handling to have done that. The only real rap I have on the B is that while the brakes are as big as they could be within the 14" wheels, they are pretty weak.
The MGC is still a pig of a car, though.
I know the B and the C well, but never have had the chance to drive the V8 version which must plow more than the C.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I know the B and the C well, but never have had the chance to drive the V8 version which must plow more than the C. [/quote]

There were quite a few at MG2016, including some RHD imports and I think one or two of the "official" US imported models(there were 5 total). Of course, there were also plenty of V8 conversions to go around also.

One of the beauties of the V8 is that the Buick/Rover V8 is about 40lbs lighter than the B-series 1800.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I know the B and the C well, but never have had the chance to drive the V8 version which must plow more than the C.

There were quite a few at MG2016, including some RHD imports and I think one or two of the "official" US imported models(there were 5 total). Of course, there were also plenty of V8 conversions to go around also.

One of the beauties of the V8 is that the Buick/Rover V8 is about 40lbs lighter than the B-series 1800. [/quote]

Exactly!
The B series is a heavy cast iron lump while the old GM engine was of light alloy.
One guess as to which was longer lived, though.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Claussinger is considered the authority on these cars. His book-"The Original MGB" is the standard used for concourse competitions.

In any case, he does indeed indicated that the automatic B was never officially offered in NA, and that they were primarily sold in the home market and Austrailia. Again, the MGC was offered in not insignificant numbers in an automatic.

Of course, there's always combining both worlds and getting a saloon on an MGA chassis-i.e. a Magnette
smile.gif

I always wanted a Wolseley 4/44, which has the same body shell as the Magnette...the 4/44 has a small bonnet, while the MG has the grill lifting as well. The 4/44 was just a classier vehicle. The 4/44 had it's own engine (maybe it was Morris based), but the MG came with the B Block. I looked at a Magnette to buy once, but they were prone to rust and this one was rotten. The MM was prone to chassis rust too, and I remember we used to fold up chassis sections and gas weld them in for repairs.

The Rover V8 was light - in the Australian designed P76, it was offered in 6 cyl or 4.4 V8 versions, both were the same weight, so there was no difference in handling. Other Aussie cars had to have engine position, suspension and brake changes when fitted with a heavier V8.

Originally Posted By: Silk
smile.gif

I always wanted a Wolseley 4/44, which has the same body shell as the Magnette...the 4/44 has a small bonnet, while the MG has the grill lifting as well. The 4/44 was just a classier vehicle. The 4/44 had it's own engine (maybe it was Morris based), but the MG came with the B Block. I looked at a Magnette to buy once, but they were prone to rust and this one was rotten. The MM was prone to chassis rust too, and I remember we used to fold up chassis sections and gas weld them in for repairs.

The Rover V8 was light - in the Australian designed P76, it was offered in 6 cyl or 4.4 V8 versions, both were the same weight, so there was no difference in handling. Other Aussie cars had to have engine position, suspension and brake changes when fitted with a heavier V8.

As per Wiki, the 4/44 shared the XPEG engine of the MG TD, but with a single carbuetor. I agree that it's definitely a classy looking car, although I guess I fell in love with the Magnette first so that's where my preference lies.

I'm sure you've seen MOWOG in the castings of various BMC products. MOWOG was MOrris, WOllesely, and mG.

BMC's had Austin drivelines, the last Morris engines would've been in the 4/44. The A block was used in the A30, and an early version of the B block in the A40, it was refined a bit to become the real B block. I took the early 1200 out of my A40 pickup and fitted a 1622...almost a bolt in. Gearboxes and the 3/4 floating rear end were Austin too.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I leaned how to drive a standard when I was 9-10. We had a deer lease with an old army jeep for the lease vehicle. I just jumped in it and went,no problems at all. I'm guessing those were non-synchro'd transmissions? No power brakes,no power steering,etc. That thing was fun!! I remember 1st gear being a granny gear,it'd coast up the steepest hill out there without using the accelerator at all.

My daughter learned the same way when she was 9. Not trouble picking it up immediately. Those old Jeeps are perfect for that.

I rode motocross and dirt bikes at that age, so clutches in cars were easy. It was just a matter of transitioning from hands to feet for clutch and throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back