Best High Mileage 5w-30 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am experiencing oil consumption on the order of about half a quart every 400 miles in my ez30d 3.0 H6 Subaru Tribeca. I made a similar post in the forum, but no one is helping.

I get a puff of smoke at startup proportional to the amount of time that the vehicle sits. No smoke when going down the road that I noticed. I am thinking valve seals or guides. I cleaned the existing PCV valve, but I think that I'll be getting an OEM one soon along with Seafoam of the engine just prior to swapping it out along with new HM oil just in case there is some obstruction to the PCV system.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-d...mpiled-how.html

Could someone suggest the most aggressive 5w-30 HM oil for a scenario like this?

I don't care whether it's Dino or Synthetic. Rotella T6 is currently in there which I think is fine for a quick temporary cleanup. Just got the vehicle and it looks like this was someone elses problem. There is no warranty and I'd like to avoid a new engine for as long as possible.

The oil cap was pretty caked up with oil.

Please help!

Thank you.

Miles? I would just run a couple short OCi with aggressive oils like Castrol edge with syntec. You can just add some AC compressor oil (hydrocarbon Ester) and a couple tbsp kerosene or lamp oil to you fav oil.

Sorry 162k. What do you mean by "agressive". Sorry, I have never done any homeowork on Castrol Edge. Never had the need to. I have heard great things about Castrol Edge and this motor though, but no one has ever expanded as to why.

Is it a good HM oil? The 0w part concerns me as well. Wouldn't that be even thinner at startup than my Rotella T-6?

I have also never done any homework on the additives that you suggested.

Finally, I don't get the part about lower OCI's....would that be to clean things up? This [censored] is almost self changing at this point!
eek.gif

Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Miles? I would just run a couple short OCi with aggressive oils like Castrol edge with syntec. You can just add some AC compressor oil (hydrocarbon Ester) and a couple tbsp kerosene or lamp oil to you fav oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dx92beater
1. The 0w part concerns me as well. Wouldn't that be even thinner at startup than my Rotella T-6?

2. I have also never done any homework on the additives that you suggested.

1. No.

2. Neither has he.

I am at Walmart now. All 3 choices in front of me and rollback on Pennzoil hm. Is Pennzoil hm Dino?

I am at Walmart now. All 3 choices in front of me and rollback on Pennzoil hm. Is Pennzoil hm Dino?

Yes. PPHM is synthetic.

The stuff in the bronze bottle is, the synthetic Pennzoil HM is in a silver bottle.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Go with the Pennz HM and sleep well tonight.
cheers3.gif

Sounds like reasonable advice to me...probably don't want to shell out for synth if you are burning that much oil, unless they don't have 5 qt jugs of the HM dino.

If you're going cheap...say it three times with me:

10w-40
10w-40
10w-40

This is an approved viscosity (look in your owners manual) for normal usage.

0McSXXK.png

Hahahahahahah! Sleep well tonight? Ya think? Ok, I went with Pennzoil HM and I won't lose sleep. It's when I start that [censored] up in the morning that keeps me awake.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Go with the Pennz HM and sleep well tonight.
cheers3.gif

Sounds like reasonable advice to me...probably don't want to shell out for synth if you are burning that much oil, unless they don't have 5 qt jugs of the HM dino.

+2

Man, I missed the 10w-40. Oh well at least I will get a better idea of consumption this winter being that I am moving to a place that is a few degrees colder than where I am now.

Thanks, and I am hoping to report back with better news, I REALLY am.

Get a new OEM PCV and run the cheapest dino HM 5w30 you can find. 1 qt per every 800 isn't TERRIBLE on the flat 6.

Also I see you have Galant VR4. I built 1439/2000 years ago. Nice choice!

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Message sent.

Well there's no point in me posting then. That message will provide the OP with more information than anybody else can possibly come up with.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back