Brands of fuel pumps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bosch is an OEM fuel pump supplier - them and Carter are the only aftermarket ones I will use.

I installed an Brazilian-made Bosch turbine pump to replace an OEM gerotor pump(I think it was Walbro/TI or Carter, who are OEM suppliers) and it worked fine.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Airtex

No. Nope. Not even once.

Looking up the individual part numbers for the OP's Cobalt show Airtex and Carter to be US-made.

The Bosch fuel pump seems to be Mexican, and Delphi seems to be Chinese.

Just search each part number on eBay.
Carter - US
Airtex - US
Spectra - China
Delphi - China
Bosch - Mexico

AC Delco doesn't participate in the eBay information catalog, so the COO cannot be located for their parts. But ACD's GM Original Equipment is just that.

UPdate....will be testing the fuel pressure very...stopped at my Indy to talk real quick....short of the lack of get go at a light-and running rough off and on- she stills moves okay. He is thinking that it is not the fuel pump-but not sure what it is either.

Why do I get the strange car...
crazy.gif
grin.gif

I'm still leaning a bit toward it...still think it's a pressure issue, as no fuel cleaning has fixed the issue so far. And the fuel filter is only about 4 years old....hmmm..

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
UPdate....will be testing the fuel pressure very...stopped at my Indy to talk real quick....short of the lack of get go at a light-and running rough off and on- she stills moves okay. He is thinking that it is not the fuel pump-but not sure what it is either.

crazy.gif
grin.gif

I'm still leaning a bit toward it...still think it's a pressure issue, as no fuel cleaning has fixed the issue so far. And the fuel filter is only about 4 years old....hmmm..

A simple misfire could cause lack of power. Or an exhaust restriction. Don't part swap.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

crazy.gif
grin.gif

A simple misfire could cause lack of power. Or an exhaust restriction. Don't part swap.

While true, the car has newer plugs..hoping it is not that..

Now sensors, on the other hand, maybe....

Bosch is mostly a reboxer. Some applications get a real Bosch pump while some get a reboxed airtex or whatever.

I could not find any information about them reboxing Airtex, but Carter yes.

This is the best info I found.

"Just got off the phone with Bosch technical support. As of January 1, 2011 Bosch has gotten out of the marketing/manufacturing of mechanical diesel fuel pumps. The Bosch 68636 fuel pump I got is discontinued and they no longer have access to technical data about it. They say they sometimes rebox other brand pumps if the cost to license the design is too high. Since this number is obsolete they are unable to pull up the data on whether they manufactured it or not. I'm sure someone at Bosch knows the answer but the time involved in trying to find that person isn't worth it to me since I wouldn't be able to get another Bosch boxed pump anyway. The one I ordered was the only one in the NAPA distribution system.

The Bosch tech rep also said the reason they may have quite distributing our pump could be due to a high return rate of Carter pumps.

I called Bosch instead of Carter as I figured they would better know, or be more willing to tell me if they made the pump or reboxed it. I've found companies who manufacture for other companies often won't tell you who they build for."

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Bosch is mostly a reboxer. Some applications get a real Bosch pump while some get a reboxed airtex or whatever.

I could not find any information about them reboxing Airtex, but Carter yes.

This is the best info I found.

"Just got off the phone with Bosch technical support. As of January 1, 2011 Bosch has gotten out of the marketing/manufacturing of mechanical diesel fuel pumps. The Bosch 68636 fuel pump I got is discontinued and they no longer have access to technical data about it. They say they sometimes rebox other brand pumps if the cost to license the design is too high. Since this number is obsolete they are unable to pull up the data on whether they manufactured it or not. I'm sure someone at Bosch knows the answer but the time involved in trying to find that person isn't worth it to me since I wouldn't be able to get another Bosch boxed pump anyway. The one I ordered was the only one in the NAPA distribution system.

The Bosch tech rep also said the reason they may have quite distributing our pump could be due to a high return rate of Carter pumps.

I called Bosch instead of Carter as I figured they would better know, or be more willing to tell me if they made the pump or reboxed it. I've found companies who manufacture for other companies often won't tell you who they build for."

That's kind of scary...

Car can have new plugs but if a guy cant do a tune up meticulously, then it will absolutely run worse. Used to get them in the shop all the time. Bozo jobs that I fix. I found fuel cleaners to hurt more than help. Just one tank of PEA Gumout gave me a long crank starts (~4sec) on my Honda. Never went away.

Fuel injector cleaners should ONLY be delivered through the fuel rail on the engine - if even their!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Car can have new plugs but if a guy cant do a tune up meticulously, then it will absolutely run worse. Used to get them in the shop all the time. Bozo jobs that I fix. I found fuel cleaners to hurt more than help. Just one tank of PEA Gumout gave me a long crank starts (~4sec) on my Honda. Never went away.

Fuel injector cleaners should ONLY be delivered through the fuel rail on the engine - if even their!

Nah, know the plugs are fine. Funny you say that about the cleaners though. Last bottle I used did not agree with the car...

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Replaced lots of Airtex pumps within a year of install, OEM has worked pretty well for me.

Been told that is why they run cheaper....

I bought an OEM fuel pump for my Chevy truck just so I know the predictive lifespan. Original pump lasted 10 years, so after 9 years I will replace the pump as "preventative maintenance". Forget getting stranded and paying towing fees. Extreme peace of mind there.

Me too. I plan on replacing the fuel pump at about the 120k mi/ 140k mi before it burns out. I plan on using Delco or Delphi.

Gm truck fuel pumps have the worst reputation.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Me too. I plan on replacing the fuel pump at about the 120k mi/ 140k mi before it burns out. I plan on using Delco or Delphi.

Gm truck fuel pumps have the worst reputation.

Strange, as A friend's truck has never had his replaced in his 07 with 167k. Lucky maybe...

Can't always say it's better for the cars sometimes either. Our cavalier's lasted 48k and five years. (was a common problem that year as well.)

Tested it today...tested good.

Don't want to completely write it off yet, but it is time to take a good look at other stuff( sensors are the thought at the moment)

About six years/ 60k miles ago, I replaced my tank, fuel pump and have replaced the filter twice since then. I used an Aitex pump. It is still working fine. At the time I did not hear anything bad about them. Flush your tank of debris, don't let the filter plug up and keep the gas level over 1/4 likely will help. If I did it over, I would likely go with OEM now. Don't mess with junk yard pumps, regardless of the brand. After sitting around, I doubt there is much life left in them.

And....update!

Car has streaks of running both great and rough. Been updating other parts on the car (brakes, shocks, struts, trans service) while watching this issue...

Got it tested again-not doing as well this time. Looks like I've been nursing a slowly dying pump for a little while, like keeping it above the halfway mark and running top tier gas (shell, BP) seems to be keeping it going...

So, after 10 years, next on this list will be a fuel pump. Just have to decide on either a Carter, Bosch or maybe Delco (for whatever reason, some of Delco pumps seem to have issues...could be because they are made in china?)

Spectra Premium- I just replaced the OEM with this. So far so good. It's only been a few miles though. A friend who told me about the brand has 80k+ of problem free miles on his fuel pump

I'd trust a Carter, AC Delco OEM(NOT Advantage) Bosch or Denso - preferably the latter three if your car came OEM with one. A friend has a Carter in his Explorer that's holding up fine, and I've used a Brazilian-made Bosch to replace a gerotor Walbro OEM pump with no issues.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Spectra Premium- I just replaced the OEM with this. So far so good. It's only been a few miles though. A friend who told me about the brand has 80k+ of problem free miles on his fuel pump

Noticed that brand on amazon...looks a few bucks cheaper than the others...

Reviews are very mixed though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back