Help Finding A541e Auxiliary Cooler Install DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the transmission fluid forum, but maybe this is something you folks can help me with. I'm feeling the urge to be a transmission super hero and rescue the A541e on my new-to-me 2001 Sienna XLE. I've gone through the process of draining and refilling the transmission to cherry red, but want to protect the fluid and unit itself. Today, I ordered an auxiliary transmission cooler to install inline after the integrated radiator cooler. However, after looking for several weeks, I haven't found any definitive DIYs for the project. It shouldn't be very hard, as I've installed them before, but I like to be prepared and avoid taking unnecessary risks.

I've found some breadcrumbs by fellow board user, wiswind, that I believe clarifies which is the correct line to tap into, but I'm looking for any pictures, videos or specific directions. If anyone has done this project and can share or point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Are you planning on towing with the Sienna? Did you check if there is a factory cooler already installed?

I had a 98 Sienna which had the factory tranny cooler. Never had a problem with it. Only additional thing I added was a magnefine filter.

I did a few pan drops and strainer replacements. Maxlife tranny fluid was used.

Last edited:
I did verify already that there's no stock cooler installed on this one. Although I don't plan on hauling, it does have a hitch and I may borrow a fairly short aluminum trailer to carry yard waste or home improvement materials on rare occasion. To be honest, it's largely for peace of mind. It might be "butt dyno" but I get the impression that the shift quality is diminished somewhat after the ATF gets warm. My previous vehicle, a Jeep XJ, had an AW4 that also had improved shift quality (to my perception) after an external cooler was installed. I've always felt that a Camry drivetrain just isn't robust enough on something weighing about 500 lbs more, so I wanted to give it a helping hand.

Thanks for the suggestion, JC1, I sent him a message, although it looks like he hasn't been active since July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back