Use Dexcool as AMAM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that many AMAM's out there are simply dexcool clones.

But does it mean one can use Dexcool for all makes all models? I mean if its clones can service AMAM, why can't dexcool?

I see no need for AMAM unless it's 11pm on Sunday and your low on coolant.

I would not use DexCool in any vehicle with an open cooling system.

Use the proper coolant, Zerex has several types of coolants.

From what I understand about Dexcool it does not like exposure to air. That is exactly what you get in an open cooling system. The exposure to air causes it to do damage to your cooling system which includes the passages inside your engine. What exactly the damage is I don't recall at this moment but it isn't something I am going to chance. I use the Zerex in my Truck and Asian coolant mix in my car. AMAM isn't on my list of personally approved stuff to use. When I had my 4.6 engine replaced by the mechanic he used AMAM. After some searching on the net about DEXCOOL I decided no way I was going to let that stuff stay in my new engine. Drain, flush, flush, and flush again and again, I put in Zerex GO5. I'm much happier now.

Interesting question. First, I'd say many consider the term All Makes Models or Universal AF to be a misnomer. However, using Prestone (now called Prestone Concentrate) as an example, it does use/contain a main inhibitor found in DexCool, that being 2eha. But it is at a lower concentration than DexCool labeled AF. Also the AM/Ms AFs tend to have a semi neutral tint, lending to it's 'universal' term when added to other AFs. DexCool not as much.

For me, if I had a vehicle specing Dex now like newer Ford and GM, I'd use a DexCool labeled AF to get the real thing. Though a universal AM/M would be an option in that case.

If I owned a vehicle which specs an Asian PHOAT I'd use one of those, either oem an aftermarket option.
If I owned a vehicle specing G-05, I'd use that.

So basically, though the AM/M Universals are likely the most common AF sold in parts stores under their store name or Prestone or WM SuperTech, they would be my last choice.

From Prestone's web site
Quote:

Prestone® Dex-Cool® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is recommended and formulated for use in all vehicles that require DEX-COOL® coolant, as well as all other cars and light duty trucks with aluminum radiators using extended life coolant. This patented formula has a concentrated blend of premium long-lasting inhibitors for extended performance, protecting against temperature extremes and the ravages of rust and corrosion for 5 years or 240,000 km.

To me, the text in bold seems to suggest that if you have a aluminum radiator, which most of us do, you can use Dexcool.

Another Canadian antifreeze maker, Recochem, appears to have a similar recommendation.

Engine Coolant Selection Guide
Quote:

Turbo Power Extended Life
Newer model domestic and foreign cars and light duty trucks.

So I guess Dexcool is, in effect, universal for reasonably newer AMAM with aluminum radiators, of course?

Last edited:
If you choose to use DexCool with 2eha in an Asian vehicle specing a PHOAT or vehicle specing G-05 like previous generation Ford and Chrysler, go ahead. I wouldn't and won't. No Asian vehicle manufacturer recommends or uses Dex with 2eha as an inhibitor in their AFs. And G-05 also contains no 2eha. Most radiators are aluminum not matter the spec AF, so that means little.

As for Rechochem, if TPEL is their DexCool, I'll disagree with their yes for Asian vehicles for the reasons listed above. Also curious they say NO to Chrysler orange which is G-05, but yes to Ford Gold which is also G-05. Doesn't make sense.

Interesting Rechochem makes a specific Asian AF as OEM Branded AF's. To me the OEM Brand AF listing has it right on as opposed to their vague RC chart.

http://www.recochem.com/products/category/oem_premium_coolants

So I'd conclude DexCool is appropriate for vehicles specing DexCool as part of their OEM brand listing confirms. As for for the Universal AM/M Dexclones, see previous post for appropriate use and reasoning.

All that said, your vehicles, your call.

I understand some of you would not use a AMAM antifreeze in your vehicles. But, let me ask the question in another way.

Assuming the AMAM antifreezes do work for all makes and all models as they claim, given the fact that they're just Dexcool clones, would that mean Dexcool would work for all makes and all models, too ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back