Different tire rotation question - AWD vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a theory that I would like to be true to save me a little work before I leave on a 2K trip tomorrow.

I have an AWD vehicle that wears the tires perfectly. I rotated them at 7.5K miles. Now at 15K miles the tread depth is identical on all four tires across the tread and shoulder wear is even since both front and rear have done ~7,500 miles on each axle.

Shouldn't I be able to skip this 15K rotation, since all the tires are now equal, and not rotate again for another 7,500 miles?

Please say yes.

Yes.

Well, you asked...

I'd rotate, but 2k isn't that big of a deal to be over with, not if it's wearing evenly. Plus if this is a road trip, odds are it's all straight roads, and not apt to wear anything unduly. So skipping the rotation right now should be fine. But I don't think I'd go to 15k before rotating again, I'd probably rotate once home again. That is, go to 9.5k on this rotation, then go back to 7.5k rotations.

once a bad wear pattern starts, I've read it's hard to stop.

Last edited:
I never rotate. I believe tires take a set and don't like to be moved onto an axle with different camber. Most cars have near 2 deg neg camber rear and 0-.5 neg front. Then you run into mounting issue and uneven lug torque possibilities resulting in brake issues wobble imbalance etc . - its bit me more than its ever helped.

Yeah, I'd say rotate anyway, on mine the inner ribs tend to wear more on the front so if you check for wear on the outside of the tires, you probably wouldn't notice the wear on the inside part of the tire.

My AWD has 31K on it, tires never been rotated. They are the same.

My 4x4 needs the tires rotated every 10k or less.

Id leave your AWD for the 2k trip.

I'd rotate. Tires still get wear patterns worn into them and can get noisy if not rotated.

makes sense to me especially if you're looking most to equalize f/r and side to side wear is not as important (did you cross on your other rotation?). so there's just basically 2 positions.

currently the tires have 7.5k in position1 and 7.5k in position2 making up your 15k cycle.
You can do whatever you want, but it is a valid opinion or do like a snakedraft and stay in position2 then go to position1 on this 2nd 15k cycle.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Seems like a split.

The trip will actually be towing a trailer into the mountains, driving around in the mountains for a week, then towing the trailer back out of the mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back