Nitride vs Hard Chrome as a bore treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what you all think of the spreading fad of doing away with hard chroming in favor of a nitride finish (Melonite, Tennifer, QPQ, etc.)?

Before the quadrennial panic buyers suck up everything I was able to snag three Spikes Tactical stripped AR-15 lowers for around 80 bucks a pop. I took a chance on buying a mid length 16 inch nitrided pencil weight barrel for the first build. Also am trying out a nitrided bolt carrier group.

I figured I would give it a chance. I know it works darn well as an exterior surface treatment.

I don't know anyone who shoots hard enough for differences in surface treatment to matter.

Most gun owners are so zealous about cleaning that you could sell bare steel firearms and nobody would have rust or corrosion issues.

Really I am more curious to see if the bores will wear as well as chrome lined barrels. Especially in regards to throat erosion.

I would say Nitrided barrels would last longer than chrome barrels because the nitrided coating will not crack and flake off.

However, you may want to invest in tens of thousands of rounds of ammo.

Barrel steel has more to do with longevity than does treatment. That said, when companies make a barrel that they want to last a LONG time, they reach for proprietary steels beyond 4150CMV, hammer forge it, and go with chrome lining. The hammer forging process work-hardens the bore, and the chrome lining adheres better to a CHF bore, supposedly. You can also very slightly taper the bore using the lining process, as several manufacturers do.

A nitride barrel with be theoretically more accurate. Theoretically, because there are some chrome bores that offer very good accuracy.

As to durability, I have seen some info that says chrome is more durable and some that nitride is more durable. At this point, what difference does it make? It will cost thousands and thousands of dollars worth of ammo to shoot out. If you are shooting that much, you can afford the $150 replacement cost of a new barrel if you shoot your out.

Honestly, I think nitride is the wave of the future and we will see a lot more of it. I like that on nitride barrels, the entire surface of the barrel is treated, so it has better corrosion resistance on the outside. On most chrome lined barrels, the outside of the barrels are just parkerized, which is not nearly as good as nitride.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
A nitride barrel with be theoretically more accurate. Theoretically, because there are some chrome bores that offer very good accuracy.

As to durability, I have seen some info that says chrome is more durable and some that nitride is more durable. At this point, what difference does it make? It will cost thousands and thousands of dollars worth of ammo to shoot out. If you are shooting that much, you can afford the $150 replacement cost of a new barrel if you shoot your out.

Honestly, I think nitride is the wave of the future and we will see a lot more of it. I like that on nitride barrels, the entire surface of the barrel is treated, so it has better corrosion resistance on the outside. On most chrome lined barrels, the outside of the barrels are just parkerized, which is not nearly as good as nitride.

I'm kindof divided on corrosion resistance. I have a nitrided BCG, and when I shot some corrosive Wolf through it, it freckled up just like a parkerized BCG, and yes, it pitted. however, so did my chrome plated firing-pin. Pretty much a "wash".

Originally Posted By: Ws6
Barrel steel has more to do with longevity than does treatment. That said, when companies make a barrel that they want to last a LONG time, they reach for proprietary steels beyond 4150CMV, hammer forge it, and go with chrome lining. The hammer forging process work-hardens the bore, and the chrome lining adheres better to a CHF bore, supposedly. You can also very slightly taper the bore using the lining process, as several manufacturers do.

I agree. Cold hammer forging certainly makes the best barrels. If you looks at some of the AK makers...the Zastava barrels are cold hammer forged and hold up very well.

I do think you will see more nitirding simply because it appears to be less expensive yet serviceable. Chroming anything, especially with modern regulations (whether it be hard chroming or decorative chroming) is getting crazy expensive to do in America.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Ws6

I agree. Cold hammer forging certainly makes the best barrels. If you looks at some of the AK makers...the Zastava barrels are cold hammer forged and hold up very well.

I do think you will see more nitirding simply because it appears to be less expensive yet serviceable. Chroming anything, especially with modern regulations (whether it be hard chroming or decorative chroming) is getting crazy expensive to do in America.

This is part of the appeal of nitriding over chrome. However, when you want the toughest, most durable barrel available, cost be [censored], it's not the way to go.

I'm wondering how nitriding holds up as compared to the others for storage. You're right in stating that most of us don't shoot that much to matter, it's my belief that the real reason to nitride over just getting a parkerized barrel has to do more with the dang things just sitting around than anything else. I truly wish I put rounds through my firearms on a regular basis, but the truth is a far cry from that.

Parkerizing on it's own has little to no ability to prevent rust. And no ability what so ever to prevent wear. It must be kept well oiled to act as a rust preventive coating. The Parkerizing allows oil to become trapped in the Parkerizing itself, thereby preventing moisture from reaching the surface of the steel. It requires continued application of oil to remain effective.

Indeed. Parkerizing works like a sponge of sorts and holds the oil. Personally I never cared for it as a finish as it tends to wear pretty easily. Now it does work well with some of the spray on coatings (Duracoat for instance) like a primer of sorts.

I've heard that hammer-forged barrels aren't as accurate as others. May make a difference in long-range precision rifle shooting?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I've heard that hammer-forged barrels aren't as accurate as others. May make a difference in long-range precision rifle shooting?

I think that cut rifling is the most precise, but hammer forging still produces plenty accurate a barrel. Well under sub-moa capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back