Dog fence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had 300' of 5' Red Top horse fence installed. They use 8' steel pipe pounded into the ground. Looked great. My Neopolitan Mastiff dug a little and pulled at the fence and broke the bottom wire and then pushed up enough to get out. I am told it was the strongest 5' fence they sell at Tractor Supply.

Now what?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Now what?

Have you considered Invisible Fence?
http://www.invisiblefence.com/

It actually works. Spectacularly. As far as I'm concerned, it's the very best thing for your dog. Plus there is no physical fence to dig under, jump over, or wriggle through.

There are competitors to that brand, and I believe they all work the same way.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Now what?

It actually works. Spectacularly. As far as I'm concerned, it's the very best thing for your dog. Plus there is no physical fence to dig under, jump over, or wriggle through.

x2

Put in a single layer of cinder blocks along the inside of the fence? Cemented of course.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Now what?

We have an invisible fence for our dogs that covers 3 acres of the property. They're great if someone knows how to train their dog with it. Not so good if someone doesn't understand how to properly train their dog.

Our two beagles, once trained while they were puppies, haven't even gone close to the fence border for years now.

Invisible fences are no good for populated, city properties like subdivisions. They won't keep the loose pit-bulls away from pet dogs. Even in the rural country parts, I'd would worry about wildlife (ie... coyotes) entering the three acres and chewing-on my beagles.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Invisible fences are no good for populated, city properties like subdivisions.

Neither is 500' of 5' horse fence. Or electric fences (go ahead and touch that wire, Junior...). Or cinder blocks.

They won't keep the loose pit-bulls away from pet dogs.

Realistically, how often are you going to encounter that situation?

Even in the rural country parts, I'd would worry about wildlife (ie... coyotes) entering the three acres and chewing-on my beagles.

That doesn't seem to be a worry for rural landowners in my neck of the woods. Most properties have nothing at all around them, or nothing more than 4' wire field-fence. And we do have coyotes.

Watched my neighbors yellow lab jump the invisible fence. He knew he would get shocked as he hesitated and did a couple approaches first. My dogs heat scent was enough to make it worth wile I guess.

Down the road from me they raise buffalo. It's takes 6 ga hog wire and telephone poles for the post to keep them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back