Can You Spot The Oil Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 F150, 4.2V6, 198K Miles
My cousin picked this truck up at an auction last week. He had kept it parked in the grass since he brought it home. He pulled it onto the driveway to wash it and let it stay there until the next day. When he moved it he saw a HUGE oil puddle on the driveway.
Fast forward-This is what he saw when he pulled the transmission. Can you spot the oil leak and where it's leaking from?
2ef6t8w.jpg

Originally Posted By: zeng
It's rear main.
I would agree simply because there is not a lot (if any) oil coming from above and the key descriptor was "When he moved it he saw a HUGE oil puddle on the driveway." which suggests oil leaking under pressure and not from a gravity leak.

It's the oil pan gasket.
My cousin installed some dye before removing the trans. Upon inspection with a black light you could see it coming from the pan. He dried it off, wiped it down, and let the engine run for 20 minutes. Upon inspection with the black light, you could see it seeping from the pan gasket.
When he removed the pan the gasket was the only thing that had NO RTV on it or near it.
After installing a new gasket with Permatex Ultra Grey at the corners of the gasket, slight smear on the gasket itself, and the pan, he put it back on and let it dry for a few hours. Added 6 qts. of M1 5W20, M1 oil filter, and let it run for about 30 minutes. He put a piece of cardboard under it and will check it this AM before putting the trans back in.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Did he do the rear main anyway, with almost 200K on it it would have been a good move seeing as it was apart anyway.

Yes he did. He also installed a new front trans seal as well. It's all back together now and runs great. NO LEAKS! Mine's next!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: TexasTea
yes but what kind of truck was it? make/model/year?
It says in the first line of the original post. It's even bold.

crackmeup2.gif

Say I wanted to find a cheap truck like this at an auction, how would I go about that?

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Say I wanted to find a cheap truck like this at an auction, how would I go about that?

The town I live in is considered a village. It's in CenLa.
They were getting rid of a few trucks and the auction was sealed bids only. The F150 is kind of rough, but, will make a great work truck for my cousin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back