Buying based on service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here find themselves buying their oil/parts etc. because of the service they receive and not necessarily the absolute best price? I live in a rural area and the local store is staffed primarily by the owner and he provides excellent service. It extends to the point that he is helping me rewire my Citroen 2CV and has been very helpful with other projects. So, my feeling is that buying some Wolf's Head oil for a normal price has paid dividends in lessened hassles and good advice.

Absolutely. True service has a value, and if you want that local store owner to stay in business, you have to support him. Of course, that only goes so far. The price difference needs to be in line with the increase in service level. I'm not paying double because the person behind the counter is just generally friendly.

I agree. His parts are basically in-line with what I would pay by the time I factor what I would pay in parts and gas to go the 20 miles to the Advance type stores. I pay $3.60 for HDEO 15-40 and about $5 a quart for Dexos oil. So I don't think it's totally unreasonable.

One thing I make sure to do... if I am shopping at a new place, or leaving an old one, and it's because of service- I make sure to tell the manager, or owner, etc. that I am taking my business elsewhere. Because in a world where we can have nearly anything we want at a cheap price in two days or less (thanks, Amazon!), above average local service is the only thing to keep local businesses open. They deserve feedback, and maybe someday in the future another shot at your business.

Both quality service, quality products and keeping things local as often as possible are major factors. Not just with automotive items, but also with many other things well beyond automotive items.

I buy *everything* based on the service I get. By far the most expensive part you can possibly purchase is the one you have to buy twice, plus you are still using the sub-standard part. Not to mention the cost of downtime, even if it's just your household or shop, almost always is a large component of any repair cost.

Good advice and and benefitting from another's experience, followed by willingness to deal with any issues, will always save you the most money in the long run.

I don't make enough money to be able to afford poor quality, or to afford following advice based on the seller's needs rather than my own. Only the wealthy can afford that.

Remember: Price *does not equal* Value.

Good service means everything to me. I gladly pay a bit more to deal with great people that take pride in what they do and have an understanding of what they are selling you.

If no one wanted to pay for service, all of the local independently owned hardware stores would close and everyone would buy at either Lowes or Home Depot.

Many remain open, so therefore people will pay for service.

I paid about 5% more for USA made commercial grade Maytags from small down dealer.
Picked them out, they did hook up and hauled the old stuff all that day ...

A family owned and family staffed store or garage is definitely the way to go. Their very livelihood depends on their quality of service. And most take pride in keeping their good name, too. Generally, they aren't much different on cost, sometimes less.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
A family owned and family staffed store or garage is definitely the way to go. Their very livelihood depends on their quality of service. And most take pride in keeping their good name, too. Generally, they aren't much different on cost, sometimes less.

Maybe where you live, but around here, almost none of the local garages or hardware stores deserve my business.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: dlayman

Maybe where you live, but around here, almost none of the local garages or hardware stores deserve my business.

That's too bad, I will agree that I have encountered some of that type as well. Some of them seem to serve their friends, inner circle, and regular customers well, but "outsiders" get the brush off. But if you can find a good one, they tend to be VERY VERY good and consistent in their work.

I used to hit the local Pep Boys once and a while, but just before they were sold the place was in such confusion I ceased visiting the store.

There's a local garage in town that I like to give work to, they seem to have done good for me in the past. But I have been doing most of my own work of late, so it's hard to give them that work.

Just dropped off a set of tires for them to mount and balance, will pick them up tonight. That's probably their one fault: to get anything done, I have to drop it off for the day. Should be a small problem, but it's always been an issue for me.

Quality service definitely has its place but for some things, I'll put up with an annoying employee or messy store if it means getting a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back