GS300 2003 Motor Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

2003 GS300 with 148K is due for a change. I usually stick with Castrol GTX 5w-30 but really, the price is a bit high. Now, of course im willing to stick with it if there is any real good reason to. Otherwise, I am looking at PYB and VWB.

What do you folks think. I know much of this is personal preference, but as I said, if anyone can give reasonable evidence/reason to spend a few more bucks for the GTX.

Also, the engine seems to prefer conventional. Its been running conventional all its life. I put in Maxlife blend but the engine seemed a bit louder. However, this is the only time anything other than conventional as in it.

If you folks convince me to go with synthetic its going to be Valvoline SynPower...On sale for 2.99/qt at menards after rebate right now.

Last edited:
well, go with whatever you want, because at 148k miles it's the rest of your car that is making more of a difference

Analyze what you want for your OCI and your total cost of ownership over that OCI and what really is the difference that you are stressing so much over. Consider that if you just didn't take a 20mile drive somewhere, would that pay for any oil difference.

That being said, there's no reason why you should consider Castrol gtx the "premium" choice and go out of your way to buy it.
I would instead go with the synthetic that's on sale.
I personally like Pennzoil Ultra

Im weary about switching to synthetic after so long with conventional. I feel like it would start consuming the oil/leaking. I mean I love the 3 bucks a quart deal for synthetic on the synpower. But Castrol is coming out and not going back in. Like I said, Pennzoil yellow, Valvoline white, and maybe synpower.

Purolator white coming off, wix going on. Be on lookout for the purolator everyone is hating on the filters page.

i have a 98 GS300. I've used all sorts of oil, the engine doesn't specifically care and as long as you maintain it random other parts of your car are going to fall apart first.

Certain synthetic oils do seem slightly smoother and quieter. But the thing that makes more of a difference that I can tell with my car is the fuel. Specifically treating your fuel with Redline si-1 even at maintenance dose makes things seem smoother; but also I've noticed with shell "nitro" premium fuel (but not chevron). I suspect it's UCL in the SI-1 or the shell that cause this observation; and probably not specifically the cleaning agents.

Back to oil:
To me Mobil 1 seemed to consume the most but it still is only just down to the add line at 5kmiles.
But it really depends on your OCI if consumption matters. If you're dumping at 5kmiles or 6mo per the manual then you're probably just at the Add line, so it doesn't matter. I don't have much of a commute so have extended the OCI to 1year intervals where I may have 6000miles or 8000miles. Having the synthetic gives me that extra headroom if I can't get around to an oil change.

It's unclear if you're optimizing for Cost, for perceived protection, for a longer OCI or for what.
End of the day, it's not going to matter as compared to all the other things that will pop up to maintain your car; so go with the gut answer you wanted to make you feel better.

Last edited:
I'm sure it would be fine w even SuperTech 5W-30. Buy whatever is easy to get, keep it topped off and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back