Advance Auto Parts, 0 for 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results of the last 4 purchases I have made at advance auto parts.

1- Silver line autocraft battery. Advance installed this in my wife's toyota matrix, with a plastic spacer on the bottom of it. Battery never fit right, and rattled around in the compartment, due to a bent spacer. Went to get a new spacer, that one bent also. Ended up putting in a proper fitting battery, and throwing out the advance battery after 1 year because it was leaking acid.

2- Silver line wearever brake rotors, warped in six months.

3- Driveworks oil filter for toyota matrix, caused startup rattle, and was resolved by replacing filter with another brand.

4- Pair of driveworks rear endlinks for toyota rav4. Non OEM design, banged and clunked upon installing, found defective after one week. Returned today and bought Moog parts from Rockauto. Fit perfect zero issues, much better quality.

I have been shopping advance for a few years due to their heavy discounts using coupon codes. Now, even with 30 percent off or $50 coupons, they are still overpriced parts. Rockauto or Amazon kill them.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

I have been shopping advance for a few years due to their heavy discounts using coupon codes. Now, even with 30 percent off or $50 coupons, they are still overpriced parts. Rockauto or Amazon kill them.

Yes, but if you need it today, you need it today. Sometimes you can't wait for UPS.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Yes, but if you need it today, you need it today. Sometimes you can't wait for UPS.

+1 - I just had to replace the starter on my old Accord today. Only one they had that was worth purchasing was a Carquest Reman with Lifetime warranty.
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it last a few years.
$60.00 off with coupons & code, plus $22.00 core return ,put it equal to Rockauto.com

Currently running two gold batteries (Silverado and Vibe) from AAP and have had good results with them.

I've had good luck with AAP rotors. Same with their batteries, albeit I only use the Gold line.

Can't expect much from their Driveworks line. It's basically bottom-barrel garbage.

it's because you're buying low-quality economy tier parts, not because it's AAP
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Yup.

Seems the OP picked out the lowest level part in each case. Not saying they shouldn't work and do the job but they aren't high quality. With that said I have used their silver line brake parts a lot and never had a problem. Same goes for the silver batteries.

All depends on the car. If it is a beater buy cheapest you can but if it is decent then get quality like the Gold line. I would never skimp on the oil filter even in a beater.

Just made a $160 buy at advanced online using trt30. 30% up to $50 then used my speed pass $5 they took the $5 off the 30%. I was hoping for $55 no go it became $45 off the 30% and $5 speed pass. But the full amount ended up still over a $100 so they give me a other $20 speed pass..

I still prefer east Penn to Johnson control yet I'm currently using the autocraft gold because the coupon code plus warranty said it was the winner.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

+1. I'm a good enough fan of the silver grade batteries versus the more expensive ones with thinner plates. The other stuff is junk and to be expected..

Originally Posted By: thomasflaherty
Just made a $160 buy at advanced online using trt30. 30% up to $50 then used my speed pass $5 they took the $5 off the 30%. I was hoping for $55 no go it became $45 off the 30% and $5 speed pass. But the full amount ended up still over a $100 so they give me a other $20 speed pass..

Aren't those codes grand! I have been using TRT30 and TRT41 a lot lately and have saved literally hundreds upon hundreds of dollars with them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
I've had good luck with AAP rotors. Same with their batteries, albeit I only use the Gold line.

Can't expect much from their Driveworks line. It's basically bottom-barrel garbage.

Yep. Common sense, really.

Purchase online and pick up in store 30min later.

Originally Posted By: buck91

Purchase online and pick up in store 30min later.

My store knows me. I order and show up 5 minutes later and pick my own order lol.

I always take advantage of AAP's online coupons - 25$ off or 30/40% off is no joke. That said, I ALWAYS go for the upper tier products such as Purolator/Fram Ultra oil filters, Wearever Platinum brake pads, AutoCraft Gold batteries without having any issues.

Most significant maintenance items like timing belt/water pump, gaskets, suspension I would go with RockAuto, OEM, or some superior quality aftermarket parts though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hiryuu
I always take advantage of AAP's online coupons - 25$ off or 30/40% off is no joke. That said, I ALWAYS go for the upper tier products such as Purolator/Fram Ultra oil filters, Wearever Platinum brake pads, AutoCraft Gold batteries without having any issues.

Most significant maintenance items like timing belt/water pump, gaskets, suspension I would go with RockAuto, OEM, or some superior quality aftermarket parts though.

Advance (with coupon) is great for:
Wiper blades -- their store brand kleenview or something is VERY good.
Oil filters -- they have mopar, mobil 1, motorcraft, fram, AND carquest filters. A CQ red is like 2.75 /w coupon!
Shop towels + other cleaning stuff.
Some tools (They have gearwrench stuff and the coupons often work on them)
Spark plugs -- they have NGK, motorcraft, autolite, ac delco, and champion
Belt drive -- dayco belts, daybe tensioners
Hoses -- dayco hoses
U-joints -- Never had trouble with their house brand heavy duty joints, they also often have spicers in stock for some apps
Grease, grease guns, accessories

Who is to blame?

The companies for selling junk that can ruin a good day.

Or is it those of us who want it cheap, cheap, cheap?

It just seems a shame for some factory workers to spend their lives, skills, bodies, mental engagement to make a good that is not only worthless it ruins other parts, or makes you do the job again, or even causes a wreck or disfigurement from breaking upon install. So sad

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Who is to blame?

The companies for selling junk that can ruin a good day.

Or is it those of us who want it cheap, cheap, cheap?

It just seems a shame for some factory workers to spend their lives, skills, bodies, mental engagement to make a good that is not only worthless it ruins other parts, or makes you do the job again, or even causes a wreck or disfigurement from breaking upon install. So sad

Customers for sure. They wouldn't make [censored] if people refused to buy it. That's why I go elsewhere for certain things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back