Escape high rpm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
01 Ford Escape, 3.0

I'm going to look at it the end of the week, she says:
Upon start the rpm goes to 2k, sometimes drops to almost 1k but won't go lower.
Driving, once going it acts normal, doesn't race even going 25-30 mph.
Come to a stop with foot on the brake sounds like engine wants to race up.
Let off the brake and it lunges forward because rpm goes high again, but goes normal once driving/moving.

My thoughts 1st check for any vacuum leaks.
Next IAC, unplug and see if any rpm changes.
Next remove & clean IAC, maybe replace if it comes to that.
Next TPS sensor.

Other than that anything else I should check out? I told her not to drive it until I can get to looking at it some.
Any advise appreciated - Thanks

add - not throwing any check engine light or anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Were the spark plugs replaced recently? Thats where an intake leak could have formed.

She says about 5 years or so ago the plugs were changed - no matter I'll have look into it. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Were the spark plugs replaced recently? Thats where an intake leak could have formed.

She says about 5 years or so ago the plugs were changed - no matter I'll have look into it. Thanks again.

The only reason i mentioned that, is when i changed plugs in the 01 3.0 escape i had, iirc i had to remove the upper plenem to remove the coils and change the plugs.

I had an 04 with the 3.0. that had the same issue until I changed the IAC. Easy to change.

Last edited:
The cold start rev to 2k is normal for Fords of that era. I wouldn't day the other stuff is. Heck even my 2011 focus revs to 2500 on cold mornings

The same symptoms in our 4.6 Explorer this summer ended up being the IAC. If you're tempted to save money by going with an aftermarket IAC, don't. I ignored that prevailing advice from various forums, and ended up with unnecessary aggravation until I bought the Ford part and took the other piece of junk back to NAPA.

On that specific vehicle it's either the intake manifold gaskets or IAC. Once the engine is hot, unplug IAC and rpm should drop to about 550-650.

Thanks again all for the inputs.
Update, she drove it around today
mad.gif
because one of her dogs needed vet service then gone to get meds.
She says it never stalled but still rpm's remain high even once warmed up. Never got down to 1k.
Reconfirmed that she did have the plugs changed 5 or so years ago, and learned a couple coils were replaced.
I'll do the easy things first then go deeper if required.
I'll poke under the hood Friday and see if I can be of any help.
Thanks again all

Coils are not making it rev high.

With the engine warmed up, unplug the IAC while it's running.

The IAC in my case wouldn't let ours idle, but it can go either way. Another thought.. Has the recall for modifying the cover been done? We keep getting the recall notices on ours but I've removed the cover years ago due to a broken bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back