Getting out of a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Sounds like she has the S or Sport model. The LE model comes with 205-55r16 tires. The S model also has s sport tuned suspension over the base model. So there is a big difference in ride between the two models. The seat coverings are also different but not sure if that would make a difference. Surprised there's not an adjustment for lumbar built into the seat. I thought there was a lever on the side of the seat.

There are adjustments for height and seatback angle, but no lumbar...I was pretty surprised, too.

Has she tried dropping the seat cushion height? My car doesn't have adjustable lumbar but when I drop the seat it basically gives me more lumbar and moves it higher which seems to work well enough.
I'd also look up if any other toyota seats fit and if so, go to the wreckers and try some out, maybe one is better and keep the original one to reinstall when you sell. I'd hate to lose $3-4k when a couple hundred bucks might solve the problem.

She can't...even with the seat all the way up, she can just, just barely see over the dash.

Seat swap is not an option: I think the car has side airbags.

Who buys a car when they can barely see over the dash? Did anybody assist her when she leased? Doesnt sound like it.

I owned a 2014 for a short while. It does have an extremely high dash line, and is loud inside. I had an LE ECO, and found the ride pretty firm too. Amazing MPG though, easily over 50 on the highway. I also sold the car due to the seats. It really aggravated a damaged knee. People think you can discover this during a test drive or even in a 24 hour rental. It takes much longer than that for ergonomic things to crop up that bother injured body parts. While roomy, the Corolla just doesn't have a good driving position, and I can see where it wouldn't work well at all for short people due to the high dash.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Who buys a car when they can barely see over the dash? Did anybody assist her when she leased? Doesnt sound like it.

That applies to pretty much every vehicle she has owned since the 1980s...she needed a booster in many of them, including her Sable and Prius.

She can't...even with the seat all the way up, she can just, just barely see over the dash.

Seat swap is not an option: I think the car has side airbags.

since you mentioned she used boosters in other cars, can she:
-check the convertible boosters (they have back support, not just the bottom part)
-talk with an upholstery place to make her a custom booster (bottom and back support)

any of these may be cheaper than the bath from taking the lease back.

(my SIL drives pretty much elbows on the steering wheel and belly on the bottom part of the steering wheel: really short legs)

I'd hate to be your sister in law if she has an accident deploying the steering wheel airbag. That almost sounds like she should have pedal extenders, would likely be safer.

The 2012 Camry LE with the driver's side power seat has an excellent power lumbar adjustment. I was surprised how much you can adjust it for maximum support. I tried it out based on this thread. Most Corollas are LE and S models, maybe an upper trim level will be quieter and have power seats. I think it's the XLE version. But the upper trim level Corolla will probably be the same price or lease payment as a Camry LE that comes with a power driver's seat. The Camry is a much more comfortable on the hwy.

Don't make permanent modifications on a leased car. You will not only be paying the initial cost of whatever the modification is, but also when you return the car, you'll be charged for factory replacement parts. She can try any number of seat pads that sit on top of the factory seats. Or talk to Toyota. They would probably be OK with signing a new lease, like trading the car in.

...She has a leased Corolla she can barely drive safely (mostly, the seat gives her horrible back pain after about 15-20 minutes)

LOL!!! This is the most hilarious excuse for safety ever. Corollas would be wrecking day and night if this was the case.

Maybe your mom needs to adjust her seat properly instead of rocking the gangster lean. LOLOL

Do you have anything INTELLIGENT to add? Thought not. Sit down, child, the ADULTS are talking here.

It's really not that difficult-since you are leasing your options are limited.

1. You break the lease and deal with the financial consequences, and then move on to something else.

2. You find someone else foolish enough to take over the lease. Fortunately for you there are quite a few people who just aren't that financially astute, and you can probably find them through the companies that make their profit from those who lease and then decide they want out. You'll take a financial hit, but if it is as bad as you claim then it may well be worth it.

3. You deal with it until such time as your lease is done and then turn the car in and walk away with a handful of nothing. You can try some of the suggestions for helping the situation-towels, seat supports, etc. to help get through the remainder of the lease. Once it's over you can use the experience as a learning tool to make smarter choices in the future, albeit a rather expensive lesson in common sense.

If she sits that low, i would check her proximity to the steering wheel. If she sits really close, it could be dangerous or fatal if the airbags deploy into her face/head.
You don't want the airbags deploying into her, she needs to fall into them.

You or someone probably needs to go with her to select a car. My wife is not that tall and we check that on every car. The early saturns were an issue for her.

Last edited:
Jarlaxle, has your mom attempted to turn the Corolla in early and had a bad experience? I don't think you'd be as bad off as you think. Like said, I've been through the process before. It didn't cost me anything extra, aside from the "foolish financial decision" of doing a lease in the first place. We're talking a Corolla here and I assume something she drives daily. You need to be safe and comfortable for that. Sure, a lot of money, but it's not the end of the world. I know guys that blow way more money on toys and don't blink an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back