Stinky HEPA filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vacuum has a washable HEPA filter. I pulled it and rinsed it in water 3 days ago. Not only is it still wet/damp, it now developed a really bad smell. Is there a way to get rid of the odor or should I just buy a new one?

Id rewash it with warm water and a little bit of soap. I mean dunking in water, moving it back and forth in the water...

to dry it id leave it on top of some paper towels, put new paper if it gets damp. also leave it out in the sun. Not sure about the Sun part though that might damage some of the fibers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
My vacuum has a washable HEPA filter. I pulled it and rinsed it in water 3 days ago. Not only is it sill wet/damp, it now developed a really bad smell. Is there a way to get rid of the odor or should I just buy a new one?

That exact same thing happened to my bagless Bissell. The smell would never go away. I went back to a traditional bagged vacuum and will always stay with bagged. Is yours a bagged or bagless?

Bagless.

Im not a fan of bagless vacuums, but i liked everything else about it, so i decided to give it a try.

You could try gently drying it out in an oven at a controlled 100 degrees

Miele as well - hepa is throwaway. Bags are like diapers and self seal. Is the best system of any vac Ive owned or seen.

Come to think of it I can't remember seeing true hepa filter that was washable.

Can you divulge the manufacturer?

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

You could try gently drying it out in an oven at a controlled 100 degrees

I tried hairdryer. Still damp, even though the instructions just say air dry for 24 hrs.

A tablespoon or so of bleach in enough water to cover the filter will help kill any bugs you got going. Soak, rinse and dry in the sun. I get some ugly things going in our wet dry vacs cleaning up after a couple dogs.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
I wash mine in diluted vinegar and dawn

Vinegar makes sense...there are organisms living on the surface of the filter, kind of how your kitchen sponge starts to smell. You coukd also try putting it in the microwave for 30 seconds, that works for the sponge.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
My Miele is bagged, with a HEPA exhaust filter.

Nice lil' turbine, except I glanced at the yard to look for a spot to bury my wife when I found out how much she payed for it. My [censored] Harley was cheaper!

It's glued in a plastic frame. I don't think it'd survive a microwave shot.

If your next move is tossing it, you've got nothing to lose. Two minutes on high (900w or greater) should be good. Microwaves kill ALL bacteria.

After you try the vinegar wash, shake it out and then put the filter with some paper towel underneath it on the dashboard of your vehicle during a sunny day with the windows rolled up.

Last edited:
I would rewash it in warm water with some white vinegar in it then dry it in a dish drainer put out in the sun. The dish drainer lets air circulate all around it and the sun dries it fast. Once dry give it a light misting of Febreze on it. Seriously. That is what my Sister does. She used to buy the replacement filters from Febreze but then started doing this which is cheaper and works.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
It's glued in a plastic frame. I don't think it'd survive a microwave shot.

If your next move is tossing it, you've got nothing to lose. Two minutes on high (900w or greater) should be good. Microwaves kill ALL bacteria.

Yup...and if you're considering buying a new one anyway....

to dry things heat is less important, you need a high volume of lower humidity air. If it's damp for 3 days that's a sure sign that you have microbes on it and it isn't drying.
Wash again with soap or vinegar; if you want, you may also want to use some bleach in your washing.

To dry you need to place the thing where it gets a high volume of airflow. Outside in the sun is a good option.
If you have like an always-on computer, you can put it near the fan that's always blowing or a spot near a refrigerator or water heater or boiler that moves air that might be another option.
Alternatively if you have something that stays warm, like a dvr box this can work as a passive air flow source that keeps the air rising and moving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back