2002 Buick Lesabre 172k miles, 7700 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
5w30 Pennzoil Platinum
Fram Ultra filter changed every other oil change. Filter had ~15k miles when this sample was taken.

Html:
Aluminium (Al) 6

Nickel (Ni)
Chromium (Cr) 1

Iron (Fe) 20

Copper (Cu) 22

Lead (Pb) 9

Tin (Sn) 1

Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 14

Sodium (Na) 151

Additives (ppm)

Potassium (K) 13

Molybdenum (Mo) 59

Boron (B)
Magnesium (Mg) 12

Calcium (Ca) 2550

Zinc (Zn) 908

Phosphorus (P) 763

Contaminants

Water (%)
Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 11.3

Coolant No

Barium (Ba)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)
Silver (Ag)
Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 3.9

Lead is a little higher than one may expect. Potassium is a little higher than one typically sees which along with sodium may indicate coolant getting into the crankcase. Has the coolant level dropped and what was the previous oil?

Since I have been changing the oil, I have been using PP. I believe a couple or three changes ago it got some Valvoline of some sort. I haven't noticed any coolant leaks, although there does seem to be a very slow oil leak judging from the underside of the car. Is the silicon level what is making you think intake gaskets?

Thanks
Michael

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Potassium and sodium indicate coolant.

Then why does it say "No" next to "Coolant" ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Potassium and sodium indicate coolant.

Then why does it say "No" next to "Coolant" ?

Since you used Valvoline recently the sodium is possibly residual advice and potassium is a marker for coolant it doesn't take much to show up so it could be a very very small leak or some other way it got in the oil maybe dirty hands.

It's worth keeping an eye on, if it's not coolant and you continue to use non Valvoline products the sodium should drop by each interval and potassium as well.

Sodium could be from the oil but potassium is from coolant.Upper intake manifold could be leaking coolant because the EGR passage burned through and/or the plastic lower intake gasket is shot. . It's just begining and the coolant leak will get worse and do not put sealer in there. Replace both, the upper manifold with the ATP unit, coolant elbows and the lower gasket with the Felpro METAL gasket and you will won't have any further issues.This was a design problem from the begining.

Last edited:
Is the Dorman intake manifold decent? Also, does the viscosity at 11.3 strike anyone as a potential problem when virgin 5w30 PP is listed as 10.3?

Thanks
Michael

Originally Posted By: micmac
Is the Dorman intake manifold decent? Also, does the viscosity at 11.3 strike anyone as a potential problem when virgin 5w30 PP is listed as 10.3?

Thanks
Michael

I've personally had absolutely TERRIBLE luck with the dorman intake. I installed 3 on a friends bonneville all lasted about a year, the original GM intake went 10 years. Replaced with an AC Delco from rock auto and it's still on the car 4 years later without a problem. Likewise a friend of mine with a shop only uses the AC Delco part for the same reason. The parts store warranties out the Dorman every time but hardly worth the hassle. I'd steer clear based on my experience.

I'd guess the increase in viscosity is a result of the coolant intrusion.

Last edited:
Also a lot of my friends in the repair business replace the upper intake and lower intake gaskets as a matter of preventative maintenance on these cars for their customers between 120-150k even before leaks develop due to the high failure rate of the part and the potential for engine life ending consequences should the part fail in service.

The ATP Greyworks unit is heavier than the Dorman and it comes with a steel sleeve which lines the EGR passage which the Dorman does not have.Do not use the OEM UNIT. I does not have the improvements which the aftermarkets have.My lower intake gasket started leaking and was ready to blow thru and flood the cylinders with coolant at 45k miles but was 19 years old however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: micmac

Thanks
Michael

I read that the presence of coolant will do that to the viscosity.Do go with the metal coolant elbows from Dorman not the plastic ones.

Last edited:
ATP is about $5 more, so that isn't a hard choice. All told parts are about $130 delivered. Could be worse. I wonder why they didn't note any coolant in the sample?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
You could probably drive this for a long time without doing anything. But I'd cut the OCI down to 5K...

I wouldn't. It will get worse over time. If the gasket lets go, you could flood the cylinder(s) and hydrolock the engine. Many found out the hard way.If he decides to run it, I would do oil changes at 3k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back