Just Bought 2014 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased this car for my wife:
IMG_20160926_193339510.jpg

Traded in 2009 Forester. It was needing timing belt, brakes, new tires, it's, etc etc. Decided to replace it rather than dump $3-4k into a $8k car.

This is an LX base model with AWD. 33k miles. Paid $18.2k

Anything I need to watch for or pay extra close attention to? Issues, problems, etc?

Last edited:
Should be pretty trouble-free. Maybe Honda changed designs, but the oil consumption issue on some K24s seems to be have been caused by a combination of poor oil change discipline and high revs/heavy throttle on a cold engine. So my contribution is do the OCs on schedule and be gentle when the engne is cold

Some of these experience the VTC actuator issue, I'm fairly certain the oil consumption issues were ironed out by this year. Enjoy the new ride!

Car looks great, wife seems thrilled which is a huge plus. I would change out all the fluids and visually inspect the brakes to see their condition. Other than that, a CRV is on my short-list for the future as well.

Looks great! Hard to go wrong with a CRV. You saved a good $5K over a new one as well. Someone will be getting a nice used Subaru as well.

I don't quite understand trading in a car due to normal maintenance items coming due.

If you want a newer car, who are we to criticize you for buying a newer car? The financial justification for doing so simply isn't there, however.

There's also something to be said for knowing the vehicle you own.

I'm curious what they gave you on the trade in? I suppose they don't bother to look up if it needs a timing belt soon or not? Our 2006 is the same colour and now sports steel wheels too, I grudgingly have started to like it, gets us around with no fuss and is the right size 99% of the time and nothing seems to break!

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I suppose they don't bother to look up if it needs a timing belt soon or not?

The K24's don't have a timing belt.

His Forester he traded in does.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I don't quite understand trading in a car due to normal maintenance items coming due.

If you want a newer car, who are we to criticize you for buying a newer car? The financial justification for doing so simply isn't there, however.

If it was my car, I would have kept it. But it's my wife's. She only drives around town: short trips, always turning, always on the brakes. She doesn't notice problems until it won't run. And she is miserable when her car is in the shop.

The upgrade was for peace of mind. But also, I couldn't see putting $3-4000 into a $8000 8 year old Subaru.

Whenever you trade in a car make the best deal and when everything is set you say by the way i DO want to trade in a car that is the only way you really know what you are getting for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back