Any Sonata/Optima owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on 100k in my 2010 Rav4. Been running into quite a few mechanical problems, and the undercarriage is rusted making working on this vehicle not fun.

Took a look at a few other cars. Looking sub 15k, probably closer to 12k-13k if possible.

Anyways, I was offered $9125 for the vehicle plus $500 in credit towards a new/used car for trade.

Seemed very fair to me.

Took a look at several Hyundai Sonatas.

2012 Base 4 Cylinder, 2012 Hybrid, 2013 Base 4 Cylinder, 2013 SE Edition with Turbo.

Anything to know about these cars, or the Kia clone optima?

Seems to have very similar quality to Toyota, and is an overall nice driving car.

Have it narrowed down between a 12 Hybrid with about 39k miles, and a 13 Base Vehicle with about 38k miles.

Never owned a hybrid, just want to make sure I'm not getting into a money pit. Never owned a turbo car either.

Reviews say that the gas 4 cylinder model gets 30mpg, the hybrid gets 40mpg.

My rav gets 19-20mpg even with the 4 cylinder. Gas prices don't matter too much to me, we are always pretty cheap down in Texas, but an extra 10-20MPG is nothing to sneeze at.

JH

IIRC you're a southern transplant, right? meaning, left the Northeast and took your "old" car with you, right? If so, then I could see wanting to ditch the RAV. Let it become someone else's problem, and start with something rust free.

Just one thought: if you're getting 30% less or so mpg than EPA on your RAV, then I'd expect your next vehicle to get 30% less than EPA. Unless if there are actual problems with the RAV (O2 sensor bad, alignment off, etc) then I'd expect your average mpg to carry over, on a proportional basis, since your driving habits are not apt to change.

Are you going to miss the "trunk" that the RAV has?

I'd get the base model over the hybrid or the turbo model. The base will be much less complex and likely to be more reliable. Not to mention probably worth more down the road. Someone on here just bought a 2011 model and there's a recall with the engine. I'll see if I can find the thread.

edit: Linky

Last edited:
While Hyundai is constantly improving, they really are a couple steps behind the big boys in some ways. Generally, that's going to be driving dynamics and certain technologies. For example, there's no way I would buy the hybrid Sonata on your list. The first-gen Sonata hybrid was half-baked, had a good bit of problems and doesn't offer very impressive mileage.

I owned an NF Sonata, which is the generation before the ones you're looking at. The frustration about the NF generation is the problems with the ABS/airbag systems. Those are areas that many independent shops can't diagnose well, and even the dealer is sketchy sometimes about repairing them.

stay away from Hyundai Hybrids Sonata! My friend has one and had the transmission fail just outside of warranty. $ 7,200 CAD for the repairs ~ fortunately the dealer got Hyundai Canada to pay 50%.

The new transmission will fail again, 100% certain and should do about the same amount of kilometres. I can hear it ticking as I walk by his house...Korean IED technology rushed to market before engineering could sort it out.

The camry and accord outsells the sonata 3 to 1. Different is definitely not always better.

I have a 2013 Sonata GLS (Base), and the wife has a 2013 Optima (EX trim). We bought both as CPO, last year. I have put 15K on mine, wife 25K. Both have the N/A Theta II engine and 6 speed auto. No problems of note. Wife had to have a bushing in the power steering fixed under warranty.

She gets 26 mpg (she drives like it is stolen), I average 32 mpg. Computer is optimistic at 34.

Mine is smoother and rides better (Mine has higher profile tires (65 series with alloy wheels), hers has 17" 55 series rubber. The Optima transmission is sport tuned, so shifting is more pronounced. Mine feels like a electric/hybrid when driving (yes, it shifts that smooth).

They seem to "like" OEM oil filters, as it eliminates start up rattle. I tried many top brands (Ultra, Wix, etc.) but mine would rattle on cold starts. Bought 10 OEM on Amazon, and never looked back.

I would avoid the Hybrid, as there are numerous issues with it. The turbo 2.0 is okay, but the 2.4 Theta II has plenty of torque and power to move it with authority. Although it is raspy at high revs.

I would recommend the Optima/Sonata, with base engine. Mine is base trim (GLS) but has the popular package (power driver seat/heated seat/alloy wheels/fog lights/bluetooth).

Dave

The Kia dealer here still has half a dozen new 2015 Optima hybrids for sale. And they're not loaded up either, just mid level trim which is their best seller with the NA engine. Not so much with the hybrid. When you walk in between the cars, cob webs stick to your cloths.

I'm currently renting a 2016 Sonata. It has 13k miles on it and it has a few "squawks" the rubber trim is falling off the drivers door (a common problem) and some seat issues.

It's a bit noisier than other brands, with a strong 4 cylinder drone under heavy throttle. But, it's quite lively and responsive and rides well. In sport mode, it's a bit too touchy, leading to an on/off/on feel to the throttle upon first application. Steering feel and response is good, but handling is only on par with other lower end family cars. Overall, the car feels cheaper and is absolutely noisier than an Altima.

Also, the Altima rentals always get 31mpg or more with me at the helm. The Sonata gets 26. If I were in the market for an inexpensive non compact, 4 door I'd choose the Altima.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'm currently renting a 2016 Sonata. It has 13k miles on it and it has a few "squawks" the rubber trim is falling off the drivers door (a common problem) and some seat issues.

It's a bit noisier than other brands, with a strong 4 cylinder drone under heavy throttle. But, it's quite lively and responsive and rides well. In sport mode, it's a bit too touchy, leading to an on/off/on feel to the throttle upon first application. Steering feel and response is good, but handling is only on par with other lower end family cars. Overall, the car feels cheaper and is absolutely noisier than an Altima.

Also, the Altima rentals always get 31mpg or more with me at the helm. The Sonata gets 26. If I were in the market for an inexpensive non compact, 4 door I'd choose the Altima.

i had a friend happen to rent the 2017 and 2016 Sonata back to back over 2 consecutive weekends:
the good goes to 2017 (his opinion: noise, responsiveness, chairs,mpg)

wife drove with a girlfriend and kids (in boosters + equipment + toys) in the back in 4-5 years old Altima: from her mouth "wow, that is a lot of space"

Last edited:
We have a 2011 Optima LX+ and have 98000 km on it. It has the base 2.4 litre engine. The warranty in Canada is 5 years or 100000 km. You can't beat that. The only issue I have had is that the driver's side seat skin has had to be replaced twice. The threads of the seat seem to unravel and fray. All under warranty of course. When I looked at the 2013 and newer Optima's the seat material was changed. It has been one of our most reliable cars. I have had a number of Honda Civic's over the years and the Optima compares favourably in reliability and is similar to the Accord in size. I have read that there are a number of issues with the turbo (wastegate problems) but they definitely have the fun factor. Good luck in your decision.

Co-worker's wife has a 2012 Sonata. A click or two up from base model I believe. I don't care for the OEM 18" (maybe larger?) wheels on it. She's road-rashed them up terribly on curbs, plus replacement tires are expensive and I believe she's nicked and destroyed a few tires.

Point being, take the wheel size into consideration. I'm more of the more rubber and less wheel kind of guy myself. I don't think they've had a single issue with the car itself. I like Hyundai. I just think they've priced themselves a little too proudly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back