Update on Acura 3.7L Block replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, no VCM on this engine.

Does the 3.7L engine on the 2007 MDX have cast iron cylinder sleeves or hyper eutectic aluminum liners like the 3.7L engine in the 2009-2014 TL?
Maybe this is the difference.

I saw one of these victims on the road today. Was making tons of blue/white smoke that smelled distinctly of oil that grew nastiest under deceleration.

Like most Acuras I have seen, the guy was driving like a complete jack*ss; cutting people off and giving them a face full of burning oil.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I saw one of these victims on the road today. Was making tons of blue/white smoke that smelled distinctly of oil that grew nastiest under deceleration.

Like most Acuras I have seen, the guy was driving like a complete jack*ss; cutting people off and giving them a face full of burning oil.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I've heard of this technique before, should work.

The low tension rings that OEM's are using are getting better CAFE numbers at the higher risk of oil burning engines. You'd think the oil burning would be much worse for our air than using 1% more fuel?

This is what happens when governments interfere with facts.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Does the 3.7L engine on the 2007 MDX have cast iron cylinder sleeves or hyper eutectic aluminum liners like the 3.7L engine in the 2009-2014 TL?
Maybe this is the difference.

The Wikipedia page says all J37s used the alloy cylinder liners, and that was my understanding as well before looking it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_J_engine#J37

I think the first Acura to use VCM is the 2013 RDX, followed by the more popular MDX in 2014. My folks have about 55,000 miles on their 2014 MDX now, with no issues so far...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Honda is having problems with ring issues ..Someone tht worked in my engine shop until i sold it last year now works for a Honda dealer doing engines all day every day. He claims there are oil burning issues and other problems with engines under warranty.

I always broke my new engines in hard and never had a problem with any of them. I watched the car jockeys move around brand new cars and they were beating them and punching them going from one lot to another at full throttle.. Most vehicles when new get abused anyway.

I follow all the Honda forums pretty closely, and I haven't encountered anybody with engine problems while under warranty, and almost none with engine problems out of warranty (other than the VTC actuator problems on the DOHC engines). I know there is one guy here having ring issues on a '03 CRV with something like 110k miles. But I think that was before the low tension designs were implemented.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
The low tension rings that OEM's are using are getting better CAFE numbers at the higher risk of oil burning engines. You'd think the oil burning would be much worse for our air than using 1% more fuel?

Planning for the life of the vehicle rather than just original condition testing would make too much sense. Besides, it just becomes a problem for the vehicle owner at smog time.
wink.gif

They do plan for the useful life of the vehicle. The government sets the life targets and the manufacturers must test and prove the vehicle (not just the engine but the entire system) will be emissions compliant through it's useful life.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
I follow all the Honda forums pretty closely, and I haven't encountered anybody with engine problems while under warranty, and almost none with engine problems out of warranty (other than the VTC actuator problems on the DOHC engines). I know there is one guy here having ring issues on a '03 CRV with something like 110k miles. But I think that was before the low tension designs were implemented.

2006-2009 Honda Civics with cracked engine blocks that Honda is extending warranty to 10 years. TSB about it, and information about the cracked block problem is all over the net.

I follow all the Honda forums pretty closely, and I haven't encountered anybody with engine problems while under warranty

out of the basement and breath some real life friend

Originally Posted By: BigD1

2006-2009 Honda Civics with cracked engine blocks that Honda is extending warranty to 10 years. TSB about it, and information about the cracked block problem is all over the net.

That isn't a ring problem though. I'm aware of the cracked block issue, but the post I was responding to was about newer Hondas having ring issues.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
They do plan for the useful life of the vehicle. The government sets the life targets and the manufacturers must test and prove the vehicle (not just the engine but the entire system) will be emissions compliant through it's useful life.

That's quite true, but we have to be careful as to what's actually covered under an emissions warranty. Yes, an oxygen sensor would be covered. Given that we don't have emissions testing in this province, I can't speak from experience with a failed test. So, what happens if you fail a test because of excessive oil burning, before the emissions warranty is over, but after the powertrain warranty is expired, hypothetically? Is that an emissions matter, or is it a wear and tear matter?

The emissions system warranty is to cover emissions system-related components. It doesn't guarantee that you pass an emissions test. In this case, if you fail an emissions test because of worn rings, it's a piston ring issue -- the emissions test failure is not relevant. If you fail an emissions test and find that the culprit is an emissions system-related item that's still covered by that warranty, then the warranty would cover its replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back