Moderators: Why Was My Thread Shut Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was the thread I posted about finding my biological father closed to further comments?

There was no religion, politics or sexual content.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Why was the thread I posted about finding my biological father closed to further comments?

There was no religion, politics or sexual content.

Any poll which gets argumentative gets shut down. That what I have observed.

You should check your PM's, if there is a problem the PM would say.

You should have been informed, since it was your thread, and you are the author. It was the perpetrator that should have informed you. It is also their duty to inform the offense to the offense-sees.

BITOG is held in a higher regard than Reddit. It is expected due to the technical discussion at hand. Post should reflect this, both the staff AND the users.

This is what I expect, period. A internet college of bastions of higher learning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

You should have been informed, since it was your thread, and you are the author.

I wasn't.

I told one particular person who posted in that thread that he was acting like an old fuddy-duddy. He got his feelings hurt, sent me a PM complaining, etc. That's the only PM I got.

Maybe we need a "safe space" forum for all the sensitive people here, where they can go to avoid having their feelings hurt. You know, like how all the millenials demand to have safe spaces on their college campuses where they can go and not risk being offended.

Maybe we need a "safe space" forum for all the sensitive people here, where they can go to avoid having their feelings hurt. You know, like how all the millenials demand to have safe spaces on their college campuses where they can go and not risk being offended.

You must have skipped reading the forum rules.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I thought it was kinda interesting john.

I did too...

It really didn't seem out of hand, just spirited...

You should have been informed, since it was your thread, and you are the author. It was the perpetrator that should have informed you. It is also their duty to inform the offense to the offense-sees.

BITOG is held in a higher regard than Reddit. It is expected due to the technical discussion at hand. Post should reflect this, both the staff AND the users.

This is what I expect, period. A internet college of bastions of higher learning.

I recently had one thread deleted and then restored. The reason was bogus. I've been a moderator before, and it's sometimes a judgement call. Sometimes, mistakes are made. PM one of the moderators and ask, instead of creating a new thread about your old thread.

Read the comments, including some of the ones you yourself made. Then you should be able to figure out why the thread was locked. The comments were quickly devolving, and rather than ignore the ones you don't agree with you made the choice to continue to argue.

It should be obvious to anyone with even a small amount of common sense.

BITOG is held in a higher regard than Reddit.

Only on BITOG
lol.gif
Most of the internet hasn't heard of BITOG. There are 900,000+ subreddits and hundreds of millions of redditors, so it's impossible to discuss reddit as if it were a monolith. More news: if you stray from the default subreddits, you will find some of the most serious and fascinating discourse in history.

You probably think that twitter is a place to share what you ate for lunch, too
spankme2.gif

IMO, NHHEMI was being too aggressive.

The Board Rules are on every page in the bottom left corner.

Rule 4:
Quote:
The general intent of these rules is to allow the owner and his designated agents to ensure that this forum remains a legal, healthy, and pleasant place in which members may freely exchange their ideas, within the bounds established in these rules.

Rule 9F:
Quote:
F. that the owner or his designated agents have the absolute right to remove objectionable content, at any time, if they determine that removal is necessary, appropriate, or otherwise in the best interest of the forum. The owner's and designated agents' decisions under this rule shall be made in their sole discretion, and shall not be subject to any form of review outside this forum. The owner will make a reasonable effort to ensure that materials that should be removed from the forum are removed in a timely fashion. Members assistance in this regard will be sincerely appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Read the comments, including some of the ones you yourself made. Then you should be able to figure out why the thread was locked. The comments were quickly devolving, and rather than ignore the ones you don't agree with you made the choice to continue to argue.

It should be obvious to anyone with even a small amount of common sense.

+1.

It's really not that difficult. Unless of course you wish to start a new thread because you feel that your point wasn't adequately made in the previous one.

Perhaps. On the other side of the coin though, we don't need a place where everything must be an ongoing topic just because someone else thinks it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back