Replacement for Michelin LTX M/S2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Any input on the Goodyear Wrangler series?

I've yet to own a Goodyear tire that I've liked. I've had a lot of them over the years.

As for Michelin's, I have three sets of Michelin's on my cars right now. I like them in those applications. I've also had the Michelin LTX M/S, and LTX M/S2. I haven't tried the new LTX Defender.

In an application where an LTX M/S2 is a consideration, I prefer the Toyo Open Country H/T. It's just as quiet as the LTX M/S2, lasts just as long, is great in rain, does well in snow. But in the same size and load range as an LTX series Michelin, the Toyo H/T rides smoother, and seems to hold balance better. It can usually be bought for significantly less the the Michelin's, too.

From what I see through my vendors, the Toyo Open Country HT isn't available in that size. The QC or QT (whichever it is) however, is.

FWIW, the Toyo Open Coutry H/T in P245/60R18 is listed on Toyo's website. Product Code # 362760

If a vendor sells some models from a given tire manufacturer, they can usually get any model and size of tire from that manufacturer. It's something to consider, anyway.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Currently considering both the Defender LTX and the Premier LTX. The Premier should be the better-riding tire of the two. What worries me about the Defender LTX is all of Michelin's marketing about it being more durable under high torque situations, etc. A great thing for folks who tow and tear tires up on gravel roads and such. It seems to be engineered for service it would never see in my situation, and the side effects are likely a stiffer ride.

The Premier LTX tires seem to be engineered to deliver a pleasant on-road experience (ride, noise, etc) rather than durability for guys pulling Bobcats and Ditch Witches. My Ridgeline will likely see the Premier LTXes when it gets tires. Those are certainly what we're going to put on our MDX this winter or next spring.

I cannot speak to your platform, but on two vehicles here with the new gen Defender LTX in load range E they still have that excellent ride quality. Actually everything about them seems the same, tread pattern, etc.

The Toyo may have just started offering the OC H/T in this size. Tire Rack doesn't sell it either.

Ridgeline guys speak highly of Toyo OC H/Ts, saying that they do everything the OEM Michelin LTX M/S did, and better. I've generally bought Michelin tires in the past, and I've usually regretted trying something else when I did stray from what I know. If I did try something different (and my wife keeps cautioning me against it), it might be the Toyo OC H/T.

I'm thinking the Premier LTX will be close to tire perfection for on-road vehicles that take this size, though.

I bought a used F150 that had to have tires. Previous owner (a relative) had LT K02's on it for looks, one size above stock (LT265/65R18 vs 265/60R18 on the door label; he recommended I drop back for rubbing issues. I took DT's recommendation of staying with the larger tire who said its profile wouldn't rub (they matched the 265/60 price). Just a thousand or so miles so far, but Defender LTX in 265/65R18 is great, quiet, smooth. It goes without saying that they are better than the LT in that regard.

I live in Greenville SC where Michelin USA is headquartered; I like to buy very local, and when I think they are the best, that is an easy decision. With rather low annual mileage on our vehicles, I've not personally seen the crack problems others observe.

I bought an Expedition with Michelins LTX tires on it.I bought it in may and figured I will run them all summer and get some A/T tires when winter set in.That was three years ago and 30,000 miles ago.They won't wear out.Im looking at the Goodyear trailmarks or the cooper at3 .

The Toyo may have just started offering the OC H/T in this size. Tire Rack doesn't sell it either.

Ridgeline guys speak highly of Toyo OC H/Ts, saying that they do everything the OEM Michelin LTX M/S did, and better. I've generally bought Michelin tires in the past, and I've usually regretted trying something else when I did stray from what I know. If I did try something different (and my wife keeps cautioning me against it), it might be the Toyo OC H/T.

I'm thinking the Premier LTX will be close to tire perfection for on-road vehicles that take this size, though.

Michelin love fest.........Gotta love BITOG!

Another vote for staying with the Michelins. 48k on my wife's GX460 with LTX MS/2s which is full-time AWD and they have tons of tread left. I expect 80k out of these. Quiet and great traction in all situations.

Well I should update this thread- after conferring with Michelin, they recommend the Defender LTX. Went ahead and ordered them up and installed Thursday. Besides being an absolute bugger to seat on the beads (soft sidewalls curved in on a wide rim) they went on easy, spun pretty true and didn't take a pile of weight to balance. The subsequent road test yielded a very smooth, quiet and compliant ride. I told her to give me her feedback and after a trip to and from work, she said it rides better than before and even better than her previous vehicle- an 05 BMW X5.

Hopefully I can quiz her on rain and snow performance when the time comes.

I'm usually a Michelin man, but last time I put tires on my Expedition, I went with the Firestone Destination LE2s. I have not been disappointed. But I'll probably run with the new Defender's from Michelin next time.

Well I should update this thread- after conferring with Michelin, they recommend the Defender LTX. Went ahead and ordered them up and installed Thursday. Besides being an absolute bugger to seat on the beads (soft sidewalls curved in on a wide rim) they went on easy, spun pretty true and didn't take a pile of weight to balance. The subsequent road test yielded a very smooth, quiet and compliant ride. I told her to give me her feedback and after a trip to and from work, she said it rides better than before and even better than her previous vehicle- an 05 BMW X5.

Happy to hear a positive report back on your choice for her vehicle. Since my initial recommendation for the Defender LTX M/S I have purchased a set for my Toyota 4Runner in a 235/75R15 XL. With about 2,000 miles on the tires so far I'm completely impressed. Time will tell how they hold up to the Florida heat but at least so far I'm very very happy with them!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

Happy to hear a positive report back on your choice for her vehicle. Since my initial recommendation for the Defender LTX M/S I have purchased a set for my Toyota 4Runner in a 235/75R15 XL. With about 2,000 miles on the tires so far I'm completely impressed. Time will tell how they hold up to the Florida heat but at least so far I'm very very happy with them!

We are now beginning to use the new defender LTX's on our fleet trucks. At least in the load range E style they seem to offer everything the old LTX MS2 did. TERRIFIC tire all the way down to bald...

Originally Posted By: CKN

The Premier LTX is a Premier A/S for cute-utes, family SUVs and luxury SUVs(read: VW Tiguan, Lexus RX, Pilot/Highlander with low-profile tires).

The Defender LTX is the successor to the LTX M/S.

Originally Posted By: Idahokid
I bought an Expedition with Michelins LTX tires on it.I bought it in may and figured I will run them all summer and get some A/T tires when winter set in.That was three years ago and 30,000 miles ago.They won't wear out.Im looking at the Goodyear trailmarks or the cooper at3 .

You're considering the Goodyear or Cooper tires to achieve increased wear?

Originally Posted By: CKN

The praise came from the Tire Rack test performed on this group of tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=203

Quote:
What We'd Improve: Not much improvement needed here

The Premier LTX lead their (small) test group in every measured category and made a mockery of the others in snow testing. If you're a tire buyer in this category, there are likely very few tires that offer a complete performance package like the Premier LTX does.

In this case, both the Defender LTX and Premier LTX are available in the OP's size, so he had two great options.

Originally Posted By: nthach
The Premier LTX is a Premier A/S for cute-utes, family SUVs and luxury SUVs(read: VW Tiguan, Lexus RX, Pilot/Highlander with low-profile tires).

The Defender LTX is the successor to the LTX M/S.

Correct. In this particular case (245/65R17), BOTH tires are offered in that size. It's good to hear the OP is happy with the Defender LTX!

I've had to replace two sets of Toyos on an SUV, each with 40K miles. They ride ok but they don't last very long.
Michelin Costco special this time around since I keep hearing they last beyond 70K a set. These do ride better in the rain than the Toyos so far.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Michelin Costco special this time around since I keep hearing they last beyond 70K a set. These do ride better in the rain than the Toyos so far.

Which Michelins did you get, on what vehicle, and how do you like the ride quality?

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Originally Posted By: Idahokid

You're considering the Goodyear or Cooper tires to achieve increased wear?

He hasn't drank the Kool Aid......

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck

I've had to replace two sets of Toyos on an SUV, each with 40K miles. They ride ok but they don't last very long.

Well like I said my original post- she bought the Trailblazer used with them on it and has put over 70k miles on them. They were used when she bought it too! So they have accumulated probably 80k miles, maybe more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back