2009 Kia Sorento Cam Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's Sorento has these hydraulic devices that advance and retard the timing of the overhead cams. The one on the driver's side head is causing a code. A while back, I had changed the sensor with a new Kia part and the light went out. I don't think the sensor is the problem again. I've read that these pistons or whatever they are exactly get dirty and stick and throw a code.
Short of removing it and cleaning it, does anyone think I can run some Marvel Mystery Oil through it to flush it out? Maybe drain a quart or two of oil, add MMO run it and change the oil? Or just break into the engine and clean it?

It really depends on the cause of the issue.

If the oil in your engine has been allowed to get old and mucky, and that causes the parts in the cam phaser to get sticky, then a good cleaning solution pushed through the cam phaser might do the trick.

If the part is completely clogged, and no new cleaning fluid can enter it, then there's no way to clean it with oil additives.

Alternatively, if the mucky oil caused wear in the cam phaser, and that internal wear is causing the code, then no amount of cleaning products will fix things.

BC.

Thanks, guys. It's fixed. Ran some Marvel Mystery Oil through the engine on Sunday and changed it with 5-20. Code cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back