New Pirellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Accord got a new set of shoes today. I narrowed down the many options to my top two picks, Continental Extreme Contact DWS and Pirelli P7 Centurato All Season Plus. Both options had exceptional reviews but I saw too many side wall issues with Continental as a brand, and with the Pirellis only being $50 more installed the choice became clear. I got rid of the OEM Michelins mainly do to ride comfort / noise. They still had some tread left but seemed overly noisy especially on the highway, and did not soak up imperfections in the road very well. Not to mention they were loaded with small cracks, a common occurrence with the Michelin brand.

It is about 30 miles to the installer from my house to that gave me enough time to form an opinion on the new shoes. They are in fact more quiet and smooth than the Michelins which is what I was looking for, however the difference isn't as dramatic as I thought it might be. They also do a good job and clearing out standing water on the roads. I had to drive though torrential downpour on the way home and they did a much better job at handling the standing water on the road than the Michelins did. We had quite the storm not even a couple days ago and I had to drive around 35-40 mph in a 55 mph zone to feel safe in the Michelins. Of course all of this could just be because new tires are better than old ones.

Here are some pics...

OEM Michelin Pilots with 42K

Pirelli P7 Centuratos

They had a grayish tinge to them that didn't wash off, so they got dressed with Meguiars Endurance...

I've heard it said not to apply any dressing on new tires for the first 500 miles. Something about the dressing interfering with the initial tire blooming.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I've heard it said not to apply any dressing on new tires for the first 500 miles. Something about the dressing interfering with the initial tire blooming.

Whoops!

Glad to see that you got new tires! I wish more fellow Florida drivers were like you! I certainly see a lot of bald (dangerously bald) tires here!

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What did the tread depth measure on the Michelin tires?

I wanted to check them before I had them changed but never got around to it. Guessing 3/32 to 4/32.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The white/grey stuff is the wax in the tires from the manufacturing process.

Wouldn't it be the release agent from the mold?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Im surprised it didn't wash off. I used an excessive amount of shampoo on each wheel / tire with plenty of scrubbing. Must be some pretty stout product!

Here's what CapriRacer said about it in a post I had a while back that had it on some new Continentals

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

The white powdery stuff in the grooves is the waxes coming out.

Here's what CapriRacer said about it in a post I had a while back that had it on some new Continentals
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

The white powdery stuff in the grooves is the waxes coming out.

Ahh, I see. Well I guess I just didn't know what kind of wax is "in" rubber.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I think u made good choice w the Pirelli tires

I hope so! I love them now, time will tell.

I have had these 1.5 years on my wife's 2005 Legacy turbo wagon in 215/45/17 and we absolutely love them. They are quiet and predictable even in winter conditions. After 20k they are wearing well and evenly and remain quiet .

I think you'll likely be satisfied.

I couldn't wait to get the Michelin's off my CTS and have since been thru 3 sets of Perilli P zero Neros and they handle and perform awesome. I never made it to the mileage warranty so each new set I got was always prorated under the tire warranty by discount tire. I did finally swap to a different tire last time because I wanted a little longer tread life and went with Goodyear Eagle Sports. Very quiet tire and handles well - but not as well as the Perillis did but they are lasting longer so I guess that's my trade off.

Summary: Most oem tires "suck" as they have priorities that don't match yours.
Top tier well liked aftermarket tires are good.

I would consider a set of these.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Summary: Most oem tires "suck" as they have priorities that don't match yours.
Top tier well liked aftermarket tires are good.

I would consider a set of these.

Exactly! Sometimes the mfgr specs are so different the same branded tire in the aftermarket is nearly unrecognizable. Leave OEM out of the equation and compare apples to apples, which is actually difficult with tires

put a set of those pirelli's on girlfriends 13 malibu, very nice + wearing slowly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back